What's new

Cigars - What's good?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Rocky Patel The Edge. Great smoke, reasonably priced. Maduro's are my fav's, but the Samatra, Habano and milder Connecticut's are great also.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Lots of excellent advice at this Boveda FAQ page. I recommend the Boveda calibration kit (comprised of one 75% small Boveda, an airtight ziplock bag, and instructions) to calibrate your hygrometer (you should have one), because otherwise, regardless of the humidity number on your Boveda packet, you will never truly know the humidity level in your humidor.

+1 this advice. Always go digital with your hygro. Never met an analog that I liked.

The downside of the humidor coming with this sampler is that I'll have ten cigars and a humidor that isn't seasoned. Guess I'll have to find myself a tupperware container to put them in with the Bovedas until the humidor is ready to go.

The downside of the humidor coming with this sampler is that I'll have ten cigars and a humidor that isn't seasoned. Guess I'll have to find myself a tupperware container to put them in with the Bovedas until the humidor is ready to go.
You can put them in a large ziplock bag along with the Boveda. Same effect. In fact, Boveda sells humidor bags that are essentially this.

Last edited:

Not a problem, tupperware or a ziploc bag is fine.

Wiping the humidor is fine, just don't soak it. I was paranoid about it based on reports from people who warped theirs but it worked out fine.

Definitely do get a $20 Xikar digital hygrometer. Don't discard the analog hygrometer. It's not worthless but your authoritative reading, as well as your faster-reacting reading, comes from the digital. As well, you can place the digital wherever you want, and if you remove the analog you'll have a hole that needs filling.

The analog hygrometers definitely look nice, I find the aesthetic aspect of them appealing, so I'll definitely leave it in, just won't trust it.

Please let us know how the AB American Sun grown is. Just received a box along with the Undercrowns and I haven't smoked either one yet.

Just lit up my AB American Sun Grown. So far, I'm really enjoying it. Much more than I did the Arturo Fuente last night.

I finally was able to find someone selling fresh lock cigars other than Acids today, picked up a Macanudo and a Punch, which brings me back to what the B&M owner said yesterday when I told him that I had liked Macanudos and Partagas back when I was in college. Is it unusual to enjoy vastly different styles of cigars?

The analog hygrometers definitely look nice, I find the aesthetic aspect of them appealing, so I'll definitely leave it in, just won't trust it.

Just lit up my AB American Sun Grown. So far, I'm really enjoying it. Much more than I did the Arturo Fuente last night.

I finally was able to find someone selling fresh lock cigars other than Acids today, picked up a Macanudo and a Punch, which brings me back to what the B&M owner said yesterday when I told him that I had liked Macanudos and Partagas back when I was in college. Is it unusual to enjoy vastly different styles of cigars?

Not at all. It's just like pipe tobacco. Sometimes you want a mild VA blend, other times you want a latakia dominant English blend.

I love Griffins, which are considered more towards the mild side, but I also love blends by Don Pepin Garcia, which are about as far away from mild as you can get.

Not at all. It's just like pipe tobacco. Sometimes you want a mild VA blend, other times you want a latakia dominant English blend.

I love Griffins, which are considered more towards the mild side, but I also love blends by Don Pepin Garcia, which are about as far away from mild as you can get.

I actually replied to him saying that I was the same way with pipe tobacco. The entire exchange kind of threw me, but he did suggest this Alec Bradley, so I can't fault him too much.

I actually replied to him saying that I was the same way with pipe tobacco. The entire exchange kind of threw me, but he did suggest this Alec Bradley, so I can't fault him too much.

I guess he gets a good number of customers who have a sweet spot that they tend to stick to.

My pops, for example, doesn't really got outside of the mild to medium range with his cigars. However, he's the same way with pipe tobacco. I've tried to get him to smoke some English blends and he always declines, opting for a VA or Lakeland instead. I think the most he'll go cigar-wise is a Punch.

Had one myself today, and agree with you that it is an enjoyable cigar. The only issue I had was that the wrapper seemed to have a coating of something gelatinous on it. It stained my lips and fingers brown and felt a little slimy. It may be it was just this one so I'll reserve judgement on that issue. It burned straight, and the wrapper never split, even though it felt a tad dry. These only sat in the humidor overnight, so they may even get better with a little rest. The flavor was stronger than I expected, and I liked that. Not the most complex cigar, but then I only smoked it halfway. Notes of pepper upon lighting up, then it settled to a consistent earthy note until the halfway mark.

Cant wait to try the Undercrown. Maybe tomorrow.

I guess he gets a good number of customers who have a sweet spot that they tend to stick to.

My pops, for example, doesn't really got outside of the mild to medium range with his cigars. However, he's the same way with pipe tobacco. I've tried to get him to smoke some English blends and he always declines, opting for a VA or Lakeland instead. I think the most he'll go cigar-wise is a Punch.

I suppose it's probably a matter of being a creature of habit, or not. I'm very much not. I find that different things within a genre suit me at different times. Be it liking lighter pipe tobaccos like Frog Morton all the way up to Nightcap, beer anywhere from PBR to high quality dark microbrews, or coffee from black to cream and sugar, to soy milk based lattes.

My Cigars International order was here when I got home a little bit ago! Was thinking that I'd have to sign for it, but the post man just left it inside my back door.

When I placed my order, I ordered a single 84% Boveda humidor seasoning pack and 2 72% packs. When I opened my box, I found a 12-pack of 84% seasoning packs and two 12-packs of 72% packs! I double checked my invoice and sure enough, I had only bought three individual packs in total. Guess I'll be set on Bovedas for a while!

Had one myself today, and agree with you that it is an enjoyable cigar. The only issue I had was that the wrapper seemed to have a coating of something gelatinous on it. It stained my lips and fingers brown and felt a little slimy. It may be it was just this one so I'll reserve judgement on that issue. It burned straight, and the wrapper never split, even though it felt a tad dry. These only sat in the humidor overnight, so they may even get better with a little rest. The flavor was stronger than I expected, and I liked that. Not the most complex cigar, but then I only smoked it halfway. Notes of pepper upon lighting up, then it settled to a consistent earthy note until the halfway mark.

Cant wait to try the Undercrown. Maybe tomorrow.

Have you had another American Sungrown, Slickside? Curious to see if you had issues with the coating again. Regarding your thoughts on it not being the most complex cigar, I think you hit the nail on the head. I came across an article on these the other day that said that these were inspired by cigars from the 50s, "clean, simple and satisfying".

http://gearpatrol.com/2013/10/11/tasting-notes-alec-bradley-american-sun-grown-robusto/

Have you had another American Sungrown, Slickside? Curious to see if you had issues with the coating again. Regarding your thoughts on it not being the most complex cigar, I think you hit the nail on the head. I came across an article on these the other day that said that these were inspired by cigars from the 50s, "clean, simple and satisfying".

http://gearpatrol.com/2013/10/11/tasting-notes-alec-bradley-american-sun-grown-robusto/
Yes I did, Luke. This one did not have the heavy gunk on it. I think it may have been a food type adhesive for the cap. They may have put on too much, but I'm only guessing. The wrapper was very hard and did not split or unravel at all. It is a satisfying cigar because it tastes like a cigar. Nothing pretentious, no mystery, and nothing to have to think about. Just enjoy it for what it is. A good all around utility cigar.

The Undercrown I had the next day was much more exciting, but I ain't smoking those every day.

Well, I think the rabbit hole has opened and I've begun my descent...

Picked up the Broadleaf 6 Pack from Cigar Monster this morning containing the following:
– A Fuente 858 Maduro (6 x 47)
– Oliva Serie G Robusto Maduro (4 1/2 x 50)
– Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Robusto Maduro (5 1/2 x 50)

Then two samplers from CI just now:

Rocky Patel Robusto Mega-Sampler:
4 – Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto (5.5” x 50)
4 – Rocky Patel Edge Maduro Robusto (5.5” x 50)
4 – Rocky Patel Burn Robusto (5.5” x 50)
4 – Rocky Patel Connecticut Robusto (5.5” x 50)
4 – Rocky Patel Fusion Robusto (5.5” x 50)

CIGARfest Mega-Sampler:
1 – 5 Vegas Gold Double Nickel (5.5” x 55)
1 – Alec Bradley American Sun Grown Toro (6” x 50)
1 – Romeo y Julieta Reserve Churchill (7” x 54)
1 – Don Pepin Garcia Blue Generoso (6” x 50)
1 – CAO Brazilia Gol! (5” x 56)
1 – Diesel Unlimited d.5 (5.5” x 54)
1 – Partagas 1845 Robusto (5.5” x 49)
1 – Rocky Patel Fusion Torpedo (6.25” x 52)
1 – Gran Habano Vintage 2002 Churchill (7” x 50)
1 – Graycliff Turbo Edicion Limitada Torpedo (6” x 52)
1 – Gurkha Beauty Gran Torpedo (7” x 56)
1 – Joya de Nicaragua Fuerte Toro (6” x 50)
1 – La Gloria Cubana Wavell (5” x 50)
1 – La Perla Habana Black Pearl Belicoso (6.25” x 52)
1 – Man O’ War Toro (6.5” x 52)
1 – Torano Vega Dominicana Torpedo (6.5” x 52)
1 – Victor Sinclair Serie 55 Imperial Habano Toro (6.25” x 52)
1 – Perdomo Lot 23 Robusto (5” x 50)
1 – Pinar de Rio Small Batch Black Corojo Torpedo (6.5” x 52)
1 – Oliva Saison Torpedo (6” x 52)

Plus I grabbed a "Taste of Alec Bradley" four-pack on CI. I couldn't get the details to come up, so it'll be interesting to see what I get. I also spent enough on the CI order to get free shipping and a Moretti Churchill Quad-Flame Lighter.

Wow... that's 50 cigars, plus the 8 I still have from my sampler that came with the humidor. Good thing my in-laws gave us left over turkey in a tupperware that looks like it'll be perfect for holding 20 sticks or so. It also came with explicit instructions not to bring it back.

ETA: Oops! Just realized there were two singles I threw in as well, trying to get my cart high enough for the free lighter. Add to the above:

1 – Alec Bradley Black Market Robusto
1 – Rocky Patel The Edge Toro Corojo

Last edited:
Top Bottom