What's new

PIF a Week #21: Vintage Behr-Manning Honing Guide

Behr-Manning used to send these booklets out free on request. There are various publication dates that range from the 30's to the 50's. Maybe even later. This copy of "How to Sharpen" is dated 1944. It comes with the original envelope addressed to Mrs. Terlecki. Typed, btw. Given the date, one imagines that Mr. Terlecki was involved in the war effort and his bride was taking care of things at home and that included the need to understand how to sharpen things. Or perhaps she was working in one of the factories in Detroit and was expected to know something about putting an edge on some piece of equipment.

Anyway, you'll get not only "How to Sharpen", but "Sandpaper-It's How and Why"...soon to be a major Paramount release with Denzel Washington and Keanu Reaves as "How" and "Why" respectively.

To be eligible just state that you're in. We'll pick a winner on Sunday. Preference will be given arbitrarily to someone who amuses or entertains but that's not required nor is it a guarantee.

And now for the pics:

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
That is very cool Mark. I usually stay out of PIF's, but I'll dive in to this one.
I'm in

David

My girlfriend asked why there was a picture of a guy riding a bicycle on the cover of how to sharpen.

I'll leave that up to the winner. There may still be copyright issues and I've no interest in tangling with those.

Fair enough, even after 70 years, they are still in business and might beef about it.

I'm in, if I win I'll consider whether I wanna chance it.

Damn man. I've probably sent a dozen emails to Norton trying to get a copy of "How to Sharpen", but they never respond. Hopefully the winner will brave the wrath of that woman that Beadog talked to and post scans.

I'm in.

Nice PIF. I love little pamphlets like these. Not in, as I am abroad right now. Also comes with two 1-1/2 cent postage stamps with what appears to be Martha Washington's profile. They don't make stamps like that anymore. Looking forward to the Hollywood version of "Sandpaper, It's [sic] How and Why." Or maybe I can catch the abbreviated version as a commercial during the next Super Bowl...

Last edited:
Nice PIF. I love little pamphlets like these. Not in, as I am abroad right now. Also comes with two 1-1/2 cent postage stamps with what appears to be Martha Washington's profile. They don't make stamps like that anymore. Looking forward to the Hollywood version of "Sandpaper, It's [sic] How and Why." Or maybe I can catch the abbreviated version as a commercial during the next Super Bowl...
I hadn't even thought of the stamps. I forgot that they're a whole field of interest in themselves.

I'm definitely in on this one. After all the money I've spent and all the hours of practice and experimenting, I am quite sure the secret to the edge I'm looking for is somewhere on page three or 4. Whoever wins, I would be willing to try to track down permission for non commercial copying and would be willing to scan and convert it to a PDF for those who as are curious as I.

David

We all know what it's going to say...."rub edge on stone until the desired edge is achieved".

I'm definitely in on this one. After all the money I've spent and all the hours of practice and experimenting, I am quite sure the secret to the edge I'm looking for is somewhere on page three or 4...

Exactly my motivation for asking to be included. lol

We all know what it's going to say...."rub edge on stone until the desired edge is achieved".

And what I'm afraid is more likely. :blink:

Top Bottom