What's new

Clubman Pinaud

Hey all,
I recently learned to like Clubman Pinaud's standard "after shave 'lotion' ". Before now the scent was too overpowering and, frankly, too classic, BUT I have seen the light! I was browsing the web last night and learned that this company doesn't just make one scent but actually have a few scents. I saw a "special reserve", "musk", and a "vanilla" aftershave. Anywho, I was just wondering if any of the gents on here had tried any of their other aftershaves and if so, describe the fragrances to me. I love the way my face feels from the original so I am curious to try the other scents as well, but I am always skeptical to buy something without smelling it :001_rolle. So let's hear those fragrance reviews!

In order of (current) preference:

Special Reserve
Vanilla (fair warning - not even a trace of vanilla in the scent, but very enjoyable)
Original

Going to pick up a bottle of VIBR when I go to re-up my Vanilla

I love the VIBR. It is quite clove-heavy but that's not a problem for me. It really helps soothe any irritation I get, after the initial burn, so I use it as often as possible. The Special Reserve smells good to me too. Some people have said it reminds them of Aramis and I can see what they mean although it's not completely the same.

Love Clubman, but you already know what that smells like
Virgin Island Bay Rum smells strongly of Cinnamon, less so Clove, and fades to powdery
Citrus Musk begins like sweet lime (think Live Saver lime) but rapidly fades
Lilac Vegetal -- has its following but I think more dislike than like. Definitely starts out strong, Smells like something weird, then fades to the floral scent which though mild, can linger, especially in clothing -- not my favorite, but I haven't tossed
Special Reserve -- to me smelled like Halston. I don't like either one. It's strong, and I don't get the leather and tobacco leaf tone description. I have to wash it off or it gets me sick
Vanilla -- does not smell like vanilla. It more resembles classic Clubman, but something in it ruins the smell IMHO. In fact I tried to use the bottle up by blending 1:1 with classic clubman, but in the end I thought ruined the classic.

In my opinion, favorites are: 1) Clubman 2) Citrus Musk (wish it would last longer) 3) VIBR

I like the Classic but I really like the Vanilla. It is my favorite AS. As someone already said, it does not smell like vanilla but it does have a very nice scent to it.
$Plisson_stand.jpg

Attachments

• $Omega_49.jpg
    $Omega_49.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of the others in the line (although the classic is decent) but I really love the Vanilla. It doesn't smell heavily of vanilla (although I do get a slight vanilla note) but it does smell very nice. Modern and classic at the same time, it is heavenly. Women seem to like it too.

I'm not a huge fan of the others in the line (although the classic is decent) but I really love the Vanilla. It doesn't smell heavily of vanilla (although I do get a slight vanilla note) but it does smell very nice. Modern and classic at the same time, it is heavenly. Women seem to like it too.

+1 Exactly my feelings.

I tried 5 of them:

- Classic
A lot of people describe it as a typical barbershop scent. It is masculine but also comes with some sweetness. After the alcohol fades I also find it powdery. I'm not that much into barbershop scents. It's ok but nothing that amazes me.

- Vanilla
Agree with the others. I don't get any type of vanilla here but it's even sweeter than the classic, maybe even a little floral.

- Citrus Musk
Definitely citrusy with a masculine note. I don't get a certain fruit like orange or lime but more a mix of all. I do enjoy this scent.

- Lime Sec
On the first sniff I find it quite simliar to the Citrus Musk but on the second sniff it reminds me a little bit of a toilet/floor cleaner which is definitely not appealing.

- Virgin Island Bay Rum
I have not tried any other bay rum to date so cannot compare it but the main note is definitely clove. There might be a hint of cinnamon but clove is the dominant force. I wish the there was more cinnamon. Other than that I like this bay rum scent especially now in the winter time. Reminds me of christmas. :001_smile

One thing I don't like about the Pinaud AS's is that afaik there are no other ingredients than alcohol, water and fragrance. So no skin conditioning ingredients. That's why I added a little bit of glycerin which helps to moisturize the skin. I'm waiting for a bottle of witch hazel which I also intend to add so that I have a nice self-made after shave lotion.

I must be the only one but I definitely get vanilla in the Classic Vanilla after shave. Its definitely subtle but I can pick it up. I think the problem is in Lime Sec you definitely pick up the Lime immediately on the top. The vanilla in Classic Vanilla is not as aggressive at the top but to me CV has a creamy type smell to it and that is where I pick up the vanilla accord. CV is definitely the least dated smell out of the line. Its has classic characteristics but the smell is pretty timeless.

Last edited:
I have tried most of them. My favourites are:
Original - classic barbershop scent lasts all day;
Lilac Vegetal - nice subtle scent of lilacs all day;
Lime Sec - great barbershop lime scent, lasts a long time;

A couple I may or may not replenish:
Vanilla - as said no vanilla scent but an interesting item. I like it, even though it seems the strongest of the Pinaud line on me;
Special Reserve - Did not like it at first, but it has grown on me. When I first opened the bottle there was an overpowering scent of cigars. It has mellowed over time, and now I get the cigar scent f, but then it mellows to the leather scent.

Musk - similar to the original, but does not last as long
Citrus Musk - Nice citrus scent but does not last as long as Lime Sec
VIBR - tried it, better than Captain Choice, but after trying a few samples I have to say I am not a bay rum fan

Last edited:
I do not know, have you looked at the Pinaud Clubman company website?

I did but sadly they do not list the ingredients. I find that a pretty big deal these days since people a very aware what they put on their skin and it looks like you're hiding something.

Does anyone know whether they have any other ingredients than alcohol and fragrance? Maybe some good skin-conditioning stuff?

I did but sadly they do not list the ingredients. I find that a pretty big deal these days since people a very aware what they put on their skin and it looks like you're hiding something.

I don't know the ingredients off hand, but I believe there are some differences across the Pinaud line. I have several of them, and some are marked as "Aftershave Lotion" and some are marked as "Cologne". I do notice the difference in skin feel between the Aftershave Lotion and Cologne, but I use both as aftershave splashes regardless. I believe the Aftershave Lotion scents are the original, Classic Vanilla, Musk, Lilac Vegetal, and Special Reserve. Lime Sec, Citrus Musk, and Virgin Island Bay Rum are considered Colognes. Like I said, I don't know the exact ingredients, but I do notice that the Colognes are a tad more drying that the Aftershave Lotions are. For both lines, I add a few drops of glycerine right into the bottle, and that seems to combat any dryness that might happen, but just as a note - I add a few more drops to the ones labeled "Cologne" than I do the "Aftershave Lotions".

Thanks for your insight. Funny, I did the same thing. Assuming there is only alcohol, water and fragrance I bought some glycerin and added it. It definitely helped since they don't dry me out anymore. But another thing I miss is some sort of healing ingredient. That's why I ordered a bottle of witch hazel. I plan on adding that also so I have a real AS lotion. Besides the witch hazel a bottle of Captain's choice lime is on its way to me. Really looking forward to that one.

Top Bottom