What's new

Old Rubberset Restoration

I purchased this old brush last weekend at a local antique store for $2. I figured for that price, I couldn't pass it up, and would make a good project. The wood handle and black ferule are in good shape, although the original finish on the wood was long gone and it was covered in black "gunk" which I am assuming was old soap residue. I am planning to restore this brush because I love the way it fits in my hand; it's very ergonomic, unlike some of the short, squatty brush handles. Can anyone help me identify what brush this is, and how old it might be? The black hard rubber ferule is stamped with only one word, "Rubberset." The handle is not marked in any way, but it had the crumbling remains of a red and white paper label glued to the top of the handle, the wording and legibility of which had long since worn away. No model numbers, the usual "sterilized, Rubberset trademark, made in U.S.A." or any other identifying marks, except for the lone "Rubberset" stamped into the ferule. The letters had once contained white paint, but most of it was worn away, and you can't make it out in this pic. Anyway, I've sanded down the handle and am about to refinish it in a light colored stain as it was originally, but I would like to know if anyone can determine what this model was and when it was made? Does anyone know what the original label on the top of the handle might have looked like? Thanks for your help!
$Brush.jpg

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Good looking candidate there! I don't know the model number, or year, but I would guess that is a barbers brush from the 1940's or 50's.

Looks like a more modern 49

$Rubbersetadwithsizes.jpg

$RubbersetwithDetachableHandles-1.jpg

$rubberset.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, gentlemen, thank you for sharing with me! Here are a couple more shots of mine after restoration showing the lettering and recreated label. It's not perfect, but it's much better than when I found it, and it has come home to someone who will love it and care for it. I plan to replace the knot with a quality one from TGN, I just don't know which kind yet.$IMAG0490-1.jpg$IMAG0489-1.jpg

Last edited:
Great save of this fine old brush; fantastic job. We're all ready to see the finished product and, better yet, get a first shave report!

Have fun.

Thanks fellows! I really like it. The wood feels nice and warm in my hand compared to plastic, and it's a bit longer and more slender than some brush handles, which feels better to hold for me. I don't know what the original label on my handle said, it was crumbling and too deteriorated to read, but it was red and white in color, so I went on a massive internet search to try and find it, but the closest I could find was this one, which was actually taken from a package that Rubberset brushes came in. I just sized it to fit and cut it out and glued it on where the old one was, and then coated the whole handle with four coats of crystal clear Rustoleum enamel. I've never used a badger brush before, only boar, so I'd like to try it. What do you guys think would look nice in this handle? $1948bc4f50c349178e04196d0e3340b0-1-1-1-1.jpg

id go with a pure badger to start.good body and probably what it came out with.it just depends on what you want to try out first.

id go with a pure badger to start.good body and probably what it came out with.it just depends on what you want to try out first.

Thank you sir, I think that is what I will do. A bit of "scritchiness" doesn't bother me, I'm quite used to my boar brush! I like one that is a bit robust and not too floppy or "mushy". I think the color of pure badger would go rather nicely with the black ferule and wood handle.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Country Boy; Go to "Shave/Scent of the Day!" forum and click on the subforum "clubs and brotherhoods" then find "The Rubberset 400 Club". There is much information on TGN knots and in one post dfoulk lists the available TGNs with prices and qualities.
Also try post #559 there. The TGN finest F2 fan is a very popular choice at 26.95.

Last edited:
What's the best way to determine what size knot to replace the old one with? The measured diameter across the hard rubber ferule of my Rubberset is 13/16". Do I just measure across in mm to figure the new knot size?

Last edited:
My knot is a TGN Finest bulb. I think it was 20mm. I would order a 20 mm and enlarge the hole slightly to accommodate the knot at about 50 mm loft. Actually, from your photo it looks as though the opening may be as large as possible already....?

I think I could squeeze 20 mm, but I would be hesitant to try and widen the hole anymore as the walls of the rubber ferule are not that thick to begin with.

I had originally intended to buy a brand new badger knot for my old Rubberset, but I had an old vintage unknown boar brush lying around whose handle was trashed. The bristles, however, were well broken in and SUPER soft, and I thought it would be a shame to throw out that old brush, so I steamed the knot out of it and reset it in my restored Rubberset. Now the old Rubberset is back in use and probably looks fairly close to how it did when it was brand new. I'm actually very glad that it occurred to me to swap the bristles. Shaved with it this morning and it stirs up a mountain of lather and is very comfortable on my face. I think it's my new favorite!$IMAG0538-1-1.jpg

Top Bottom