What's new

Gillette Toggle Disassembly

Don't try to disassemble the dial, you don't want to mess with that one trust me. Also good job on removing the tiny retainer ring, took me a while to figure out that one.

attachment.php

Why I love 3 piece razors!

:lol: she's been getting some eye liner prior to reassembly! Here are the photos of the toggle parts after I received them from Razor Plate and painted the accents:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422663989.603071.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422664016.765561.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422664028.490993.jpg

Wow CAP, you and Chris do beautiful work. You guys got me drooling over the eye candy and it's not even back together yet!!

:lol: rather than waiting for the sun to come up, I will let it be known that Paul's Toggle has been successfully reassembled:w00t: It is fully functional and has a nice new coat of fresh 24 Kt. Au!:thumbup:

You know what, Gents, this is my first toggle restoration and I have to say, it was a challenge for sure! It started with the homework, followed by the planning and finally the disassembly. I struggled most with the pin that holds the actual toggle apparatus on the end of the door rod. The splined end of the retainer pin turned out to be a "hot-tip" :lol: It is quite difficult to drive the pin out the wrong way:facep: I got lucky however and drove the pin out the right way. There's really no way to tell which way the pin is oriented until you start putting tools on vintage metal. Scary stuff:yesnod:

Anyways, reassembly was an absolute breeze, for the most part. I set the gap as outlined by the patent description information (along with the help of some baseline measurements I took before moving anything from factory settings). I then installed the doors back on T-bar and set it aside. Then, I pressed the handle piece on the head assembly (I did use some lube here as there is a lot of surface area that the handle part has to slide over). After this, I inserted the door rod assembly into the razor and installed that little c-clip, followed by the springs, and finally the part that presses into the handle of the razor where a TTO knob would commonly go.

This is where reassembly gave me some issues...the toggle apparatus. As you gentlemen know, there is a small spring loaded ball bearing down inside the actual toggle piece. When reinstalling this part, one has to overcome the pressure of the spring while maintaining alignment of the toggle with the hole in the door rod all while trying to press the retaining pin through everything...very laborious work! :a52:

No worries though, gents. I took a few breaks, collected my thoughts and devised a little setup to stabilize everything and I was able to successfully stab the pin. My thumbs DO hurt though:smile:

I will take some good photos of her tomorrow in natural light. Paul will be able to watch the Superbowl without worrying now:biggrin:

CAP between your photos and description, it felt like I was looking over your shoulder during reassembly. Thanks for all the images.

CAP between your photos and description, it felt like I was looking over your shoulder during reassembly. Thanks for all the images.
You are most welcome, Tom. Thank you for all of your help throughout this entire process:thumbup:

I want to thank everyone as well for the useful information and support! Couldn't have done it without you fine Gentlemen!

She sure gussied up real nice. Thanks Cap, your selfless razor restoring knows no bounds and never ceases to amaze!

Last edited:
Thank you Gents! Paul, this one should look good sitting next to that bottom-dial:biggrin: I'll have to soak up the success as much as I can before next week. A serialized toggle is beetling along to my workshop:blink: Yes, another "first" for Ol' CAP. :mellow:

Thank you Gents! Paul, this one should look good sitting next to that bottom-dial:biggrin: I'll have to soak up the success as much as I can before next week.
A serialized toggle is beetling along to my workshop
:blink: Yes, another "first" for Ol' CAP. :mellow:

Can I pre-subscribe to this one?:tongue_sm

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Man, what a job! I'm glad I just got to read about it, rather than having to do all that, myself! :w00t:

Great job, Cap, and thanks for the detailed rundown on how all that worked out. That's one of great things about all these threads!

Can I pre-subscribe to this one?:tongue_sm
:lol: :lol:

Man, what a job! I'm glad I just got to read about it, rather than having to do all that, myself! :w00t:

Great job, Cap, and thanks for the detailed rundown on how all that worked out. That's one of great things about all these threads!
Thank you Sir:thumbup: At times my descriptions might be a little confusing but I make my best efforts:wink: I need to get a head cam so you guys can watch!

Top Bottom