What's new

Slow-Watches.com

www.slow-watches.com

Have you heard of this watch? One hand, a 24-hour dial. Simple. Elegant. Different.

I haven't worn a watch in about 30 years, but I think I want one of these.

What do all of you chronophiles (is that a word?) think about it?

In general I like the concept and design, but I might prefer a 12 hour version. Since two trips around the dial doubles the resolution, making it easier read. A 24 hour dial might better reflect the sundial heritage, but since the sun doesn't shine at night, it is hard to take that concept too far. Botta Design also has some nice looking versions, such as this 12 hour UNO.

proxy.php

One handed watches don't speak to me. In my view, there's no point in wearing a watch, unless you can tell precise time, which requires a second hand...

$300 for a watch that can tell time +/- 5 minutes (at best) seems a little steep. For me there are better, more accurate, options in that price range.

There are several makers of one-handed watches. I can't say that they appeal to me.

As has already been pointed out, a 24h version is of particularly dubious utility.

Well, here it is not even 12 hours later, and you've convinced me not to buy this watch.

I guess I'll have to wait another 30 years until I find something that appeals to me to wear on my wrist.

I actually like the idea. I'd wear it on days off. But not at that price...not even close. Give me a one-handed Timex Weekender (under $30) and you're on.

Give me a regulator any day. I like the one big hand, but just one big hand doesn't do it for me. Meistersinger makes a nice single-hand watch if they tickle your fancy.

Kind of a fun design IMO, but I'm a young guy who knows nothing of fashion.. Heck, I'm willing to wear a square watch if I ever find one I like ;)

I don't mind one handed watches. The 12 hour Uno posted looks like a pretty simple elegant looking watch. You can still tell the time within +/- a couple of minutes which should suit most situations.

I don't mind one handed watches. The 12 hour Uno posted looks like a pretty simple elegant looking watch. You can still tell the time within +/- a couple of minutes which should suit most situations.

Agreed. My general take is that something like the 12 hour UNO with its larger face (44 mm) allows one to read the time close to the minute, which is accurate enough for day-to-day activities needing human synchronization. e.g. Need to meet work colleagues at 11:50, go to the car for an appointment approximately 15 minutes away, arrive at the bus stop on time, etc.

However, I imagine that it takes more concentration and eye focus to read which could be bad in certain social situations. I am making up numbers here, but if it took a 300 millisecond glance to read a traditional analog watch, then it might take a 750 millisecond glance to read a one handed version, and that could be enough of a difference that wearer appears to be staring at their wrist.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I believe the original clocks had only one hand. Then they discovered how to make a minute hand work. There was a good reason for that

Thanks for sharing.

Some one need to explain to the conpany that watches are supposed to be precise.

+/- 5 minutes , no thank you!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think this watch requires a different approach to time. Most of us feel the need for far more accuracy than this watch (in 12h or 24h variations) can offer. Someone who wants to make sure he catches his bus at 11.52am is probably not interested in this watch ...

One handed watches don't speak to me. In my view, there's no point in wearing a watch, unless you can tell precise time, which requires a second hand...

... nor is the guy who complains that the 11.52 bus is 42 seconds late. (Okay, to be fair, there are lots of more practical uses for being able to count to the second and get precise time.)

But if your concept of time is to round things off to the nearest quarter-hour or so, if you know that there's a bus at your stop about every twenty minutes, and you're not fussed if you catch this one or the next one ... this may be for you.

But I won't get one.

+1. I tend to be compulsive about knowing what time it is. My wife loves her Movado watch - which I hate. I don't like to take three minutes to see what time it is.

This has no appeal. The merest glance at a traditional watch dial informs me perfectly. I particularly don't want to get use to anything other than the watch/clock dial that that has been familiar to me since before grade school when my parents taught me how to tell time. I don't want 24-hour dials. I don't want digital watches/clocks. I don't want a one-handed time piece.

Not for everyone, and too pricey, but I think it's a fun idea. It might make you think about your day in a different way....a visual reminder of how much time you have left to get things done. I'm all for different ways of thinking about time.

Top Bottom