What's new

Lost cost natural between BBW and JNAT?

I go from 8k to my Shuobudani with Tenjyou and Mejiro nagura then to a tomo and it has worked well for me. The Shuobudani is slow so I find I have to spend some time with just water to finalize the edge. If you decide to go with the Arkansas I have gone from an 8k synthetic to my Washita and then black hard Arkansas and the edge makes me wonder why I am spending money on Jnats.

While we are theorizing here about combinations of stones and progressions... I've heard someone tried jnat nagura slurry on a coti (without great success, if I recall correctly), for some reason reading this and thinking of my problems finishing on anything with just water and being given the suggestion to use light slurry, how about a thin thuri slurry on hard shuobu?

And before someone says "try it and report back" I will, but then we won't know if the failure is me (very likely), or the theory being invalid.

Theoretically, I should think that any slurry that works well on the stone it came from should work pretty close to as well on any other stone of similar grit.

Thuri slurry should work fine on a Jnat. The two slurrys look and act very much alike in the testing I've done. It's not going to be much faster than a soft Tomo Slurry would be, though. Not a replacement for a coarser nagura.

The other thing I've been eyeing is the apache red, but I'm waiting to see what the verdict is on those.

It's entirely possible that someone doing that had a fail.

I did a short clip on this for TY. It's not something I think I'd indulge in with any frequency, it was just a lark. It worked well.
Jnat slurry on a Jnat is my preferred method though.... :thumbup1:

Top Bottom