What's new

For a smoother and healthier skin

After only shaving this way for the past year,i finally have my routine down.Right after shaving,a splash of hot water,a splash of cold water,alum block or post shave balm.The very last thing i do is i put a dab of vaseline on my face.Remember vaseline is useful in healing cuts,and thats basically what you are doing during a shave.For me it helps because some weeks i prefer to shave every day and this stuff actually helps my face heal up faster.Now what say you.Anyone else using this stuff or am i alone.If i am,give it a try.

Never tried Vaseline, but I use jojoba oil after whatever astringent I'm using that day. It has worked wonders for soothing irritation and protecting my freshly shaved face. 2-3 drops is all it takes.

I would personally avoid putting petroleum products on my face -- especially freshly-shaved.

I prefer less of a chemical soup, more natural products (e.g., Nivea Sensitive ASB, Lucky Tiger).

I have observed SWMBO slathering this stuff on her face:

http://www.badgerbalm.com/p-287-after-sun-balm.aspx

Organic -- and lots of good ingredients! I'd try this before I put Vaseline on my face.

My $0.02...

BTW, there are lots of good products on the Badger Balm site...I am indeed a fanboy...excellent stuff!

Last edited:
If you are burning your face to the point of needing a healing agent every time you shave , you are doing something wrong....As far as Vaseline goes, I don't want to smear poor clogging grease on my face.

After only shaving this way for the past year,i finally have my routine down.Right after shaving,a splash of hot water,a splash of cold water,alum block or post shave balm.The very last thing i do is i put a dab of vaseline on my face.Remember vaseline is useful in healing cuts,and thats basically what you are doing during a shave.For me it helps because some weeks i prefer to shave every day and this stuff actually helps my face heal up faster.Now what say you.Anyone else using this stuff or am i alone.If i am,give it a try.
For me it clogs up my pores. ..

It's not burning my face.It's just that if you could see your skin under a microscope after shaving you would understand why you should put something on your face to heal it.

I would suggest a pre-shaving oil. At first I was skeptical, but I've found a few drops of TOBS sandalwood or Village Barber oil before I lather up helps tremendously. It moisturizes your skin when it counts--and allows you to scrape off the excess when you shave.

Yes, I think they do.

I tried the Nivea Sensitive to which Shiloh referred, when I gave myself quite bad razor burn on the neck / throat, and it made it feel much worse. It did nothing to help appearance-wise either - it was still bright red over 12 hours later. Counter-intuitively, a cheap alcohol-based splash like VIBR on the other hand, works wonders for me when I make a mess of my throat. Takes away the redness within 10 minutes and feels great. I've never tried Vaseline and I'm not sure that I want to because I think it would form a waterproof seal over any small cuts and nicks, which I would have thought would heal more quickly given some air.

Last edited:
I don't know about that Vaseline. I personally don't care for the idea but whatever floats your boat. I learned to wet shave from my grandfather, my father, and the barber who cut our hair and shaved us for decades. Their unanimous advice was to keep it clean and keep it simple. At home we used Ivory soap as a pre-shave wash, Gillette Blue Blades, Yardley English Lavender soap in a wooden bowl (marvelous stuff). They all used cold water to rinse after a shave - the barber used cold towels. Occasionally, Noxema was used as a pre-shave. In those days there was no such a thing as after shave balms - so they all massaged in either Aqua Velva or Osage Rub as a finishing touch and used these after shaves in small amounts. They were also adamant about a maximum of two passes - never more than that. I still use the same basic routine, now with Arko soap and an occasional foray into sandalwood or lavender cream, and I still love my ten minutes of shaving every morning.

My late father-in-law used (authentic German, like him!) Nivea cream as an AS. As a splash (Skin Bracer) user, I always thought that a bid odd...didn't cotton to the idea of slathering grease on my face.

However, IIRC, his face was always smooth and irritation-free -- and he re-sharpened his DE blades, to save money...so I can't imagine that his shaves were the most comfortable. :blink:

Different strokes...

Yes, I think they do.

I tried the Nivea Sensitive to which Shiloh referred, when I gave myself quite bad razor burn on the neck / throat, and it made it feel much worse. It did nothing to help appearance-wise either - it was still bright red over 12 hours later. Counter-intuitively, a cheap alcohol-based splash like VIBR on the other hand, works wonders for me when I make a mess of my throat. Takes away the redness within 10 minutes and feels great. I've never tried Vaseline and I'm not sure that I want to because I think it would form a waterproof seal over any small cuts and nicks, which I would have thought would heal more quickly given some air.
I've since tried Vaseline after shaving and it actually works great. I was reading about skin and how it only gets oxygen from the inside, i.e. from the bloodstream (so no need to worry about whether your skin can 'breathe'), so I thought I'd give it a try. Apparently Vaseline does not clog pores either, that's an urban myth.

I tried some of the other half's moisturiser as well one day, then Vaseline on top, which seemed to work especially well.

Last edited:
After rinsing off the residual alum with cold water, I've used Eucerin Skin Calming Creme. Great stuff ... Especially during dry weather. There's a legend at the bottom of the tube that describes the richness of the product. I don't care for the really rich stuff ... Too thick IMO. The thinner consistency is good for me.

I don't know about that Vaseline. I personally don't care for the idea but whatever floats your boat. I learned to wet shave from my grandfather, my father, and the barber who cut our hair and shaved us for decades. Their unanimous advice was to keep it clean and keep it simple. At home we used Ivory soap as a pre-shave wash, Gillette Blue Blades, Yardley English Lavender soap in a wooden bowl (marvelous stuff). They all used cold water to rinse after a shave - the barber used cold towels. Occasionally, Noxema was used as a pre-shave. In those days there was no such a thing as after shave balms - so they all massaged in either Aqua Velva or Osage Rub as a finishing touch and used these after shaves in small amounts. They were also adamant about a maximum of two passes - never more than that. I still use the same basic routine, now with Arko soap and an occasional foray into sandalwood or lavender cream, and I still love my ten minutes of shaving every morning.

I prefer cold water over any lotion or AS, it is just better and more effective at reducing swelling of the skin. It is the first thing used in medical attention in sports or injuries to prevent any swelling at all.

Top Bottom