What's new

Baratza adjustment issues

I know Baratza is a popular grinder here and other places. I have a Vario and recently I had been on an Aeropress/FP kick. I returned to espresso to grind the Guatemalan coffee that oakeshott PIF'fed me, and kept having issues where, even though the calibration was correct, it wouldn't grind fine enough - even all the way at 1 which usually chokes my machine with any fresh coffee (and this coffee qualifies!). To be sure I tried my normal espresso blend and it also was too coarse.

I took it apart, cleaned it, ran the adjustments up and down a few times, reseated the burr (always a challenge with a Vario as some might attest to), and now it's fine. It isn't the first time that changing grinds significantly has required this much effort and I feel like it shouldn't. Does anyone else find this to be the case?

I don't have any experience with the Vario. I have been using a Preciso for over two years and and I had, and still have the same issues with it as you are having with the Vario. The Preciso died after I'd had if for a year and ten months. I took advantage of Baratza's repair program and basically I got a new grinder instead of having to purchase a new grinder. Depending on how you look at it this is my second or third Baratza, and most likely it will be my last. I'm saving money to purchase a commercial grinder that will last me several decades. I've read that the Preciso doesn't tolerate frequent adjustments, maybe the Vario is the same way?

Are you running Grindz or minute rice through it regularly to clean it? If you do dissassembly should seldom if ever be necessary.

Not regularly, no. It seems to just not go back to where it was when I adjust it, and the fine (left) knob drops on its own sometimes.

I bought a refurbed Vario a while back. I needed to calibrate it finer initially. Since then no issues. Call Baratza if you need further help. They have great CS. I need a new hopper for mine. It keeps loosening during the grind and shutting off.

I have an update. Baratza recommended that I hold the adjustment arms in place and are mailing me a few shims. I did that is morning and the espresso machine was choked and I had to go a little coarser, so I guess the problem is that the adjustment was inconsistent due to the weak arms. I will see what the shims do next week.

I have an update. Baratza recommended that I hold the adjustment arms in place and are mailing me a few shims. I did that is morning and the espresso machine was choked and I had to go a little coarser, so I guess the problem is that the adjustment was inconsistent due to the weak arms. I will see what the shims do next week.

You can cut your own shims out of thin plastic. Takes some tweaking but I did it. Just follow the instructions on the Baratza site.

Top Bottom