What's new

Whipped Dog High Mountain

Just ordered me a 24mm High Mountain badger brush with a black resin handle from Whipped Dog and am super excited about it. I was just wondering what experience do you guys have with High Mountain badger brushes and what do you think of them?

the High Mountain may be my next brush....I am also wondering how it compares to the WD Silvertips....if anyone has both, I'd love a comparison....is the HM as soft as the ST??

the High Mountain may be my next brush....I am also wondering how it compares to the WD Silvertips....if anyone has both, I'd love a comparison....is the HM as soft as the ST??

It just came in today and boy it is soft, Idk how it compares to a silvertip though

I just put in an order request for a butterscotch 24mm handle with a Silvertip badger brush set at 47mm loft from Larry at Whipped Dog. How long is usually from when you request a brush that Larry contacts you like his website states? Or am I supposed to pay before hand?

I just put in an order request for a butterscotch 24mm handle with a Silvertip badger brush set at 47mm loft from Larry at Whipped Dog. How long is usually from when you request a brush that Larry contacts you like his website states? Or am I supposed to pay before hand?
Most of the time its within a couple of hours

I received my WD High Mountain last night. I got the Black handle with a 22/48 knot. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I did perform a couple of break in lathers. Larry makes a beautiful brush is all I can say, I don't see a reason to spend more. I am sure it will look quite nice sitting next to my 24/50 silvertip with matching black handles :p

Mine definitely seems softer than my WD Silvertip. Holds water like a sponge, though, and the center of the knot is still moist after 24 hours. For that reason I don't use it two days in a row.

Any reason you got the HMW knot set deeper than your silvertip knot? I thought that the HMW knots had a little bit more backbone than silvertip knots at any given depth.

Mine definitely seems softer than my WD Silvertip. Holds water like a sponge, though, and the center of the knot is still moist after 24 hours. For that reason I don't use it two days in a row.

Is this hanging from a stand or sat on its base? Nb. that brushes (counterintuitively for some) dry quicker on their base than they do when hung from a stand, by a factor of two or three.

Interesting. I just used my HWM today, and I always use a stand. I will go place it on its base and check back tomorrow.

I just received my 24 HMW with a blue handle last week from Larry. The best way to describe it is that it is like my WD Silvertip 22/45, but with more loft. Gel tips, soft, but plenty of backbone.

I've lathered the HMW with MWF and Don Marco which produced more than enough lather for two very enjoyable passes with each. While we're discussing WD brushes, I ordered a 30mm pure black brush as well. It is soft and has great backbone with a little scritch; a real lather monster for my huge watermelon-shaped face. I had enough lather to do my normal two passes in which I just motored straight across my mustache which typically gathers lots of lather.

To compare and contrast the WD knots I have:

22/45/Silvertip - Lots of backbone with little bloom due to the extra countersinking. Very soft with gel-tips. I can focus and control my lather in which I still get two solid passes

24/57/HMW - More backbone than the Silvertip, but not Omega boar range, similar to my Semogue 2030-B. Soft gel tips with nice loft. Less focus with the lather than the sunk in Silver tip.

30/55/Pure Black - Least backbone of the 3, but still stiff for a badger. Soft tips with some scritch. Huge brush with huge lather, just paint your whole 1/2 of your face and go. I would recommend this size for head shavers (if I shaved my head I would use a 30mm) or folks who like lots of lather. Less focus, tons of lather that is not to be contained.

Any reason you got the HMW knot set deeper than your silvertip knot? I thought that the HMW knots had a little bit more backbone than silvertip knots at any given depth.

Before this thread drifts any further, there is a difference between High Mountain and High Mountain White. Larry sells High Mountain, which is also sometimes called Manchurian. It is a variant of Two Band Finest.

High Mountain White is a different knot. It is also sometimes called Manchurian. It is a Three Band and most actually refer to it as Three Band Silvertip. It has more backbone than more conventional Silvertip and stands out on its own. This is not what Larry sells.

I'm very impressed with my High Mountain brushes. I call one of them Goldilocks because it does so many things so perfectly. I like them almost as much as my Silvertips.

I just went with this size combo to control the size a bit. I love my 24/50 silver tip, but I do think it is a tiny bit big on the face. The 22/48 is simply a popular knot combo that I thought would help control the size and splay a bit. The high mountain does indeed have more backbone than the silvertip. I am still in the process of breaking the brush in with test lathers. The brush comes with the knot being very tightly packed. I have done test lathers for a couple of days now and the brush still hasn't finished splaying out :) Highly recommended, I think I will love this brush just as much as my silver tip.

I have two of the WD HMB 24mm brushes. Love them both. Good backbone and soft. I have a Silvertip on the way...should be here in two days. Larry is great.

Before this thread drifts any further, there is a difference between High Mountain and High Mountain White. Larry sells High Mountain, which is also sometimes called Manchurian. It is a variant of Two Band Finest.

High Mountain White is a different knot. It is also sometimes called Manchurian. It is a Three Band and most actually refer to it as Three Band Silvertip. It has more backbone than more conventional Silvertip and stands out on its own. This is not what Larry sells.

I'm very impressed with my High Mountain brushes. I call one of them Goldilocks because it does so many things so perfectly. I like them almost as much as my Silvertips.

Wait, he's selling two kinds of high mountain?

Wait, he's selling two kinds of high mountain?

Larry only sells HM (High Mountain).

He does not sell HMW (High Mountain White).

Several times in this thread people have referenced HMW, which larry DOES NOT SELL!

If you want HMW look to The Golden Nib (and bring money, it isn't cheap).

Top Bottom