What's new

Leather, Canvas Or Felt For Diamond Spray?

Got some 0.25u diamond spray.
Am I better off applying it to a leather or canvas hanging strop, or a felt paddle strop or shall I just suck it and see?
What differences will the different strop media make to the resultant edge?

I have played with diamond pastes in the past and never found them to my liking, but it would seem to be a shame to apply them to a good piece of leather. I tried them on canvas and they worked well, but left that diamond edge that my face does not enjoy.

Thanks guys - I've applied the spray to hanging canvas, felt on a paddle and also to plain balsa.
Let's see what happens...

You might want to take the razor back to your hone after the abrasive stropping to tone things down a bit. Maybe 5-10 very light strokes on water. Or you could try the Iwasaki ultra light parallel to the edge strokes on your finisher.

You might want to take the razor back to your hone after the abrasive stropping to tone things down a bit. Maybe 5-10 very light strokes on water. Or you could try the Iwasaki ultra light parallel to the edge strokes on your finisher.
Is that the "joining the edge" method?
I've had previous good results taking the edge back on cromox after 0.3u lapping film...

My best efforts with diamond spray - the HA .25 and .01 were on the TI wide leather paddle.
Specifically - the black hide. Not so much on the brown.
After a 12k or Coti - somewhere between 150 and 200 laps on the .25 I think. I know, seems like a lot.
After testing - I found that it took a lot of laps to get the edge where/how I wanted it - but the window of opportunity was narrow.
Most insane edge I ever shaved with came off that paddle with those sprays. Not my type of thing though. There was much pink lather in the testing phase and a few 'whoops' moments during the appreciation phase.
Was fun for the week I was shaving with it. Edge had zero forgivness but it delivered whisker removal like I never could have imagined.

Ok - the spray really doesn't work for me on hanging canvas and started ripping up my edges (doh!) but works really nicely on a felted bench strop.
Interested to see how it works just on plain balsa...

I have never seen a .01 diamond spray. Where can you purchase that?

Was a typo - my fingers flubbed the decimal point, I had HA 0.1µm

I suppose .01µm may exist though - check with Hyprez or one of those companies.
There's a Chinese abrasives manufacturer selling 50 nm BN. There's a lot of wild stuff out there.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I use .05 and .025 on hanging leather. .025 is finer than leather supposedly, and I stopped seeing results at .05. My finishing regimen is .1 CBN and .05 Poly on leather.

I use .05 and .025 on hanging leather. .025 is finer than leather supposedly, and I stopped seeing results at .05. My finishing regimen is .1 CBN and .05 Poly on leather.
What's Poly? Also interesting that you find .025 to be the limit.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Poly as in polycrystalline, vs monocrystaline. Supposedly they have different abrasive actions, however they only have the sub .1 micron diamond in poly anyways so its a moot point IMO. I couldn't tell the difference between .025 on leather vs clean leather, but sprayed on my jnat the .025 did seem to polish the bevel even better than the .05, but at that size any difference is probably in your fevered imagination. There is a nanocloth that supposedly has zero abrasive properties so you would realize some abrasive effects of the .025 on that.

I just finish on tomonagura slurry, then 5-10 passes on .1 CBN then 5-10 passes on .05 poly and i get my kamisori to pass root in HHT's, which guarantee me the shave I like. YMMV :wink:

here is a felt on balsa diamond sprayed strop i use occasionally.50k grit

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1417229292514.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1417229292514.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 71
I have tested some 0.25u diamond spray on a piece of latigo leather with bad results. I recommend to stay away from it.

I have tested some 0.25u diamond spray on a piece of latigo leather with bad results. I recommend to stay away from it.
Yes - after some experimentation I got great results with 0.25u diamond spray on felt, but indeed on canvas and on leather it was a hideous trainwreck.

Top Bottom