What's new

Feather AC SS Kamisori

Hi all
Decided I would try the FeatherAC SS Kamisori in conjunction with my collection of DE razors. After a rather hefty outlay including ProGuard blades am some what unsure about the experience. Maybe not for me but I cannot seem to get a decent shave esp under the nose...lot of tugging and just not smooth. I have followed all the online videos but just don't get it. I do get a fairy decent shave on the cheeks but everywhere else is awkward. I think i will stick to my razors because I honestly believe they offer the best shave. Am I wrong?

It needs practice as it's completely different to a DE.
Tugging suggests you had too much angle and need to keep the spine closer to your cheek.

It needs practice as it's completely different to a DE.
Tugging suggests you had too much angle and need to keep the spine closer to your cheek.

This sounds about right.

Feather blades don't tug. They assassinate whiskers like a ninja in the middle of the night (sometimes leaving blood behind...).

Throw in a new blade and try to it again.

+1

Feathers do not normally tug, unless it is a very dull blade. New blade, new angle and all will be well.

Definite on the practice. It's only different than a traditional straight razor in that it takes even a bit more to master, with those feather blades and the kami style handle/grip.

I got some of the best shaves of my life with a Feather kami style. I keep thinking I should just switch but it seems too much like an admission of failure (and funds) on the straights :)

I got some of the best shaves of my life with a Feather kami style. I keep thinking I should just switch but it seems too much like an admission of failure (and funds) on the straights :)

Not sure how that'd be any admission of failure. I think the shavettes are harder to master than traditional straights. Plus you are saving time and effort on the maintenance part.

I took to the Feather Pro blade like an alcoholic duck to a lake of Ketel One.
I just feel that I should be able to achieve same with a self honed straight and I can't justify the expense with the 20 something other razors around the house....

I took to the Feather Pro blade like an alcoholic duck to a lake of Ketel One.
I just feel that I should be able to achieve same with a self honed straight and I can't justify the expense with the 20 something other razors around the house....

Look to trade the 20 razors for the feather? Was it a kami style feather? You can look at getting the CJB instead. Same blades, much less expensive holder on a stick than the Feather branded one. hehe

Look to trade the 20 razors for the feather? Was it a kami style feather? You can look at getting the CJB instead. Same blades, much less expensive holder on a stick than the Feather branded one. hehe
Nearly bought an RG for not very much more than a CJB earlier this year, but ended up getting a Walkin Horse strop instead and kami-fying the GD.

But enough sidetracking.....

OP, adjust your angle!!!

Haggises: NOBODY can attain the level of sharp that a Feather blade provides. There is no shame in shaving with a Feather, as a matter of fact, I'd say it's more difficult to do so consistently, due to the extreme level of sharp those blades provide, as opposed to the "comfort" level we usually dial in on self honed edges.

P.S.- I have a CJB on my EBay watch list. I am thinking about pulling the trigger. I miss my Feather DX I used to have.

I purchased a Sam Seong Kamisori from ebay and love it. It is a few dollars more then the CJB and uses Feather blades as well. I find it easier to use than my Feather Artist Club DX folding

Thanks for all you comments. Today I tried a steeper angle and contrary to all the advice...wow what a difference! Obviously a shallow angle doesn't do it for me. My angle was a lot more than the norm that has been suggested of 30 degrees but it just works for me. Is this normal or do I still have it wrong?

I'm trying to become proficient with these before the Mongoose arrives. I'm pretty much there bar the chin.

proxy.php

Question: Is the DX much of an improvement over the RG?

This sounds about right.

Feather blades don't tug. They assassinate whiskers like a ninja in the middle of the night (sometimes leaving blood behind...).

Throw in a new blade and try to it again.

I used a Feather today for the first time and it did tug.

I had a 3 day growth. After the first two passes it didn't tug and I have the closest shave I have ever had.

I used an Ikon Slant, Brand New Feather Blade and since all you guys have me scared to death of feathers I used the Hydrolast stuff instead of my normal routine.

After the initial tugging passes nothing but smooth and irritation free.

Now that I've seen the pictures. That thing looks really cool. And not really forgiving. Don think I'm ready for that yet but it looks like something every shaving ninja should have.

Thanks for all you comments. Today I tried a steeper angle and contrary to all the advice...wow what a difference! Obviously a shallow angle doesn't do it for me. My angle was a lot more than the norm that has been suggested of 30 degrees but it just works for me. Is this normal or do I still have it wrong?
I started with the SS and Pro-Guard blades. It definitely took me at-least 20 shaves to get into the decent range. I've sinced moved to the Pro's, which took another 20 shaves to get decent (and not hack myself). I think the Pro-guards do require a deeper angle and even with the pros, I can't use a shallow angle on the first pass with the grain.

I do find the shallow angle works well for touch ups or ATG and even XTG passes.

Overall, these things give me the closest shave I can imagine but it does take every bit of concentration on every single stroke.

Top Bottom