What's new

first shave sorta of .

Ok first let me say that being a 49 yr old man heading to the sink to try shaving with a DE for the first time was one of the most scary things ( in my head ) that I have ever done. I have been listening to advice from here, reading and watching tutorials but still I think I peed a little ! LOL That being said I tried to start off very cautiously but could only muster up the nerves to do one cheek with the DE. Thoughts of angle , no pressure, enough lather, WTG, ATG, XTG and so forth flowing through my head almost overwhelmed me. But I got that cheek done with no nicks. I wont say it was easy, the biggest thing was keeping the correct angle once I get that down I think I will be more confident. I used my 90c with Derby blade ( part of a sample pack) because I have read that they are a good beginner blade. One question I have is - I have read that the 90c is an aggressive razor should I keep using it or should I get a " less aggressive" razor ? If so any reccomendations?

Thanks for all the support so far :blink: ( still shell shocked )

Welcome aboard!
I'd say a vintage adjustable. Pick your aggressiveness and have at it!
Next, you should try a straight razor! :thumbup1:

no going straight for me ! that is just insane to me at this point but I am looking for a slim.

I was lucky enough to find my slim for a great price. Hunt the BST section, the bay and etsy. Thrift shops and antique stores turn up some from time to time. You'd be surprised what an Andrew Jackson will you get you these days.

Haha... being new myself, I completely agree with the scary part. Pretty sure I was shaking a little on the first stroke. After the shave I had to laugh at myself a little.

Just take a deep breath and relax. This is not as hard as you think it is. Billions of men have been doing this for centuries and they are no smarter than you.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations!

You don't need an aggressive razor to get great shaves! There are so many great and mild razors such as the Merkur 34C, EJ 89, etcetera.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, the best thing you can do now is keep on testing. Try different razors and different blades, until you find the right combo(s) that work for you. Please, let us know.

I have several razors ordered , a slim adjustable 1965 which also happens to be my birth year and several others . I will keep you all posted on my progress. Also I have some other different blades ordered for when I am more comfortable .

Ok first let me say that being a 49 yr old man heading to the sink to try shaving with a DE for the first time was one of the most scary things ( in my head ) that I have ever done. I have been listening to advice from here, reading and watching tutorials but still I think I peed a little ! LOL That being said I tried to start off very cautiously but could only muster up the nerves to do one cheek with the DE. Thoughts of angle , no pressure, enough lather, WTG, ATG, XTG and so forth flowing through my head almost overwhelmed me. But I got that cheek done with no nicks. I wont say it was easy, the biggest thing was keeping the correct angle once I get that down I think I will be more confident. I used my 90c with Derby blade ( part of a sample pack) because I have read that they are a good beginner blade. One question I have is - I have read that the 90c is an aggressive razor should I keep using it or should I get a " less aggressive" razor ? If so any reccomendations?

Thanks for all the support so far :blink: ( still shell shocked )

The 90c is not too aggressive, many factors are considered when evaluating razor aggressivness such as technique.

Welcome to the B & B forum! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

Top Bottom