What's new

Surgical blades?

In my continuing, OCD inspired quest to reinvent the wheel I have been looking on the internet for various sources of razor blades that do not appear to be commonly used. I still long for the day when I make that single, miraculous discovery that helps to elevate the quality of my shaves beyond measure, alas, aside from waxing lyrical about the prospect I have yet to find anything. This brings me to my main point (in a rather clumsy, lumbering fashion) has anyone here ever tried using the DE blades that are manufactured for surgical applications? I am familiar with the warnings about not using blades that aren't made specifically for shaving; but surely a surgical tool would have to meet higher standards than other blades. Also, my logic (such as it is) still adheres to the highly flawed notion that higher cost equals better performance, and surgical razor blades are certainly expensive. Anyone tried these? Any warnings or recommendations?

I don't know about DE blades, but I do know that people have used injector and GEM single-edged blades purchased from surgical supply houses.

I've just bought some injector and GEM razors on e-bay and ordered blades recommended by others on this board from Ted Pella. They're very cheap - 20 injector blades for $4.50 and 200 GEM blades for $33.

As for using surgical DE blades, at worst you will have a lousy shave and have a bunch of blades you don't want to use (the sites I have seen only sell DE blades in multiples of 250).

Of interest is that Ted Pella sells Feather blades - which are sligthly thicker (.004 vs. .005 of an inch) than the bulk DE blades they sell.

Here's the link to the relevant page:

http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#anchor1610218

If you do try the surgical blades, please let us know how they work for you.

I've seen those Feather blades before, the interesting thing about those is that being made from carbon steel, you could use one of those old safety razor hones to get the blade even sharper.

Assuming you know what you're doing - I've tried the concave ceramic hones without good results.

For me, it just wasn't worth the hassle given what I can get Derby's for on e-bay.

Also, Feathers are super sharp to begin with - so I'm not sure you could improve much on the factory edge. My understanding is that the hones were used to maintain the edge and lengthen blade life.

If you do try it, let us know how the hone works.

Feather blades are essentially as sharp as surgical blades. If you've never used Feather blades, proceed oh-so-carefully.

The term "surgical steel" is not referring to the blade sharpness, it's actually the grade of the steel being used for whatever instrument is being used.

AJS said:
In my continuing, OCD inspired quest to reinvent the wheel I have been looking on the internet for various sources of razor blades that do not appear to be commonly used. I still long for the day when I make that single, miraculous discovery that helps to elevate the quality of my shaves beyond measure, alas, aside from waxing lyrical about the prospect I have yet to find anything. This brings me to my main point (in a rather clumsy, lumbering fashion) has anyone here ever tried using the DE blades that are manufactured for surgical applications? I am familiar with the warnings about not using blades that aren't made specifically for shaving; but surely a surgical tool would have to meet higher standards than other blades. Also, my logic (such as it is) still adheres to the highly flawed notion that higher cost equals better performance, and surgical razor blades are certainly expensive. Anyone tried these? Any warnings or recommendations?
ALex,
I just know that one of these days we will alll be treated to an article about you in one of the tabloids.. "Former Bicester man found ..... (enter condition of choice, .e.g Smooth Cheeked?) in back alley.." Or, "Did this Bicester Boffin of the Blade go too far?" Note the catchy alliteration.:001_rolle
Feather's forte was not the DE, but the disposable surgical cutting edge. That's not to say that their DEs are splendid, because they definitely are. Good luck, I'd love an autograph for me and the goat and sheep (Her name is Bahhhhbra:lol: )

guenron said:
ALex,
I just know that one of these days we will alll be treated to an article about you in one of the tabloids.. "Former Bicester man found ..... (enter condition of choice, .e.g Smooth Cheeked?) in back alley.." Or, "Did this Bicester Boffin of the Blade go too far?" Note the catchy alliteration.:001_rolle
Feather's forte was not the DE, but the disposable surgical cutting edge. That's not to say that their DEs are splendid, because they definitely are. Good luck, I'd love an autograph for me and the goat and sheep (Her name is Bahhhhbra:lol: )

What would I be doing down the back alley in the first place? Trying to find out what GFT Ajaccio Violet smells like?:lol:

I always thought that Ovinia would be a sexy name for a lady sheep, you should see if Bahhhhbra's willing to change it. I am right in assuming that Bahhhhbra is a ewe aren't I? :lol:

Top Bottom