What's new

ATT Atlas photos after 1st year of use (PIC HEAVY)

After using this Above the Tie Atlas handle for over one year of continuous use (a good 250 shaves), I thought I'd share some photos of how it's holding up. These photos are large (1530 x 2048) so as to show some detail. They were photographed with a 3rd gen iPad, over white printer paper, using a small halogen light. I haven't done any color correction or other filters.

Care: I dunk both ends of the handle in 91% rubbing alcohol, and more recently I've started to drip some of the alcohol into the screw hole on top until it fills up. I then shake it off and dry with toilet paper, and then let it air dry upside down. That's it though. I've never purposefully polished it. I don't treat it like a screwdriver that I'd throw into a toolbox, but I don't treat it like fine jewelry either....

$Atlas top.jpg
$Atlas2.jpg
$Atlas bottom.jpg

Cheers,
Shawn

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and info :thumbup1: I've got an Atlas that I love and was just wondering to myself what it'd look like in a year. Apparently, just the same as it does now, which is terrific news. Have you noticed if the ridges in the knurling have gotten worn at all?

Have you noticed if the ridges in the knurling have gotten worn at all?

No, except on the baseplate where it screws into the handle (see below), I haven't noticed any wear on the razor without magnification.

$ATT-H1-Baseplate-bottom.jpg

Even with this ring wearing into the metal, I suspect it will still very usable when my son inherits it in 40-50 years.

Cheers,
Shawn

Last edited:
Wow! Stan's work seems impeccable; now I'm very keen to receive my order and see how it performs. Evidently the Atlas handle is a hard wearing item for sure.

When I first went ATT I got the 7 piece set with Kronos and Colossus handles, thinking the Atlas would be too short. Given Stan's great policies, I traded the Colossus for the Atlas, and it is by far my favorite. Pleasing to the eye and just right in terms of feel and balance for me. I like it best with the H2 plate. Works with the R1 too, but I prefer either a bulldog or the Kronos with the R1. Wonder what I will like best with the new slants!

I have been LOVING my 7 piece safety bar set for more than a year now. I actually use all three M1, R1, and H1 bases plates, and enjoy the way they all shave.

I rotate just to keep myself in good practice.

Eventually I will have the three OC plates just to have, and would like to have a slant for the set, although I definitely don't need one.

The best razors made today - with no competition in the "quality" department.

Hi Shawn,

Thanks as always for sharing great insight into the ATT products! I am glad that like me you really enjoy your Atlas.

Best,
John

Can't agree strongly enough. I have a 7-pc set, which seems to be a perfect combination of beauty and brawn. After almost a year of use, the knurling ridges on my Atlas handle are still sharp.

Very nice looking razor. Just too rich for my blood.

Thanks for taking the time to take and post the pics for everyone.

It's an expensive piece of solid stainless steel. It shouldn't show any wear after only a year.

Are you saying the ring being worn into the baseplate from the handle being screwed is something that shouldn't be there? I suppose I could have put a washer or something to protect it from the friction (and my possible over-tightening) ... but to me this tiny amount of wear is not really significant.

Or do you mean that the first year just isn't a meaningful indicator of a stainless steel razor's lifespan?

Or am I just over analyzing again? :001_rolle

You are way over analyzing. I was just saying that a quality stainless steel razor showing virtually no wear after a year is to be expected. Like others have said, I expect any pictures taken years from now will look just as good.

Yea… that small ring on the baseplate from the handle will happen always with regular use on any razor. Otherwise, the SS should hold up extremely well, as it has. Shawn, it looks gorgeous, it will look gorgeous next year, and it should look gorgeous in 20 years too if you take care of it. That's why I just love SS razors.

Yea… that small ring on the baseplate from the handle will happen always with regular use on any razor. Otherwise, the SS should hold up extremely well, as it has. Shawn, it looks gorgeous, it will look gorgeous next year, and it should look gorgeous in 20 years too if you take care of it. That's why I just love SS razors.

I suspect that a good quality and thick chrome (which is harder) might better resist the ring? Note, I would not personally choose to plate a stainless steel razor due to chrome hindering DIY repairs of scratches over the decades (and to the theoretical possibility that if breached the chrome could promote rust of the stainless steel underneath) ... but is the ring less likely with chrome?

Last edited:
I suspect that a good quality and thick chrome (which is harder) might better resist the ring? Note, I would not personally choose to plate a stainless steel razor due to chrome hindering DIY repairs of scratches over the decades (and to the theoretical possibility that if breached the chrome could promote rust of the stainless steel underneath) ... but is the ring less likely with chrome?

I honestly don't really know 100% definitely, but I can tell you that I've never, EVER, seen a razor that is 3 piece that has been used for any reasonable amount of time, made out of ANY material, that doesn't have said ring. :001_smile

I have two of the Atlas handles. I can't post any photos, but the depth of the knurling is different between the two. The one with the deeper knurling is the one I use daily (terrific grip), but the other with a shallower cut is prettier. I don't remember why I have two, but I'm glad. Like a high-end Kent shaving brush I've got, it's mostly for show - a trophy, if you like. I feel the same about that Atlas handle.
The possession of a small but beautiful thing can be strangely satisfying, even if it isn't used.
:euro:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Shawn; Thanks for sharing. Just a thought; I put gun grease on the threads of my 3 piece razors. It allows soaking in Dawn/water when needed (while still assembled with a blade in it) and so far has prevented water from going into the threads.

Shawn; Thanks for sharing. Just a thought; I put gun grease on the threads of my 3 piece razors. It allows soaking in Dawn/water when needed (while still assembled with a blade in it) and so far has prevented water from going into the threads.

I've heard of others using mineral oil or grease on their threads too. I think some have said they were afraid the oil/grease might actually end up trapping water next to the metal ... but I really don't have the expertise/experience to say if this is likely to occur.

So far, water and Isopropyl alcohol (and wiping off with toilet paper) have been all that I've needed for cleaning mine...

Top Bottom