What's new

Do you prefer covered blade tabs?

Wondering how people feel about covered blade tabs. Do you prefer it? If you had the choice would you pick it? Do you find it harder to load and unload a blade? Or do you not care or prefer the tabs for easy blade removal. Thanks.

Not sure I know what a covered blade tab is. $icon_dunno.gif

I have only owned one razor with a head large enough to cover the tabs, and I found the large head difficult to use in tight spots. The razor looked awesome, but it didn't work for me.

It's a tough balance. On the one hand, I don't much care for the blade ends sticking out the sides, but on the other I also don't much care for heads with a ton of dead space on the ends, which make it harder to judge exactly where the end of the blade is and reach it into tight spots.

All other things being completely equal I'd probably choose for the slimmer head that didn't cover the ends, but in reality it's pretty low down on my priority list when trying out a new razor.

I've never drawn blood with a protruding tab, but I have stopped to check more than once.
I get along well enough with either design though. Yet reflecting further, a covered tab does add a touch of mystery to the relationship.

Thrill & Suspense. I'll have to add these categories in my next review.:001_smile

I too like the smallest head possible and agree that when a head is big enough to cover the tabs, it's too big.

I also cannot understand how can someone cut himself with the tab of a blade, unless one puts pressure on the tab against skin. I can see a light scratch happen if the blade is of poor quality and has sharp edges or burrs.

There is no doubt in my mind that when a head is as long as the blade then it is more difficult to manipulate the blade (put on and/or remove).

That being said, if a razor shaves well, I wouldn't stop using it just because the head covers the blade.

I too like the smallest head possible and agree that when a head is big enough to cover the tabs, it's too big.

I also cannot understand how can someone cut himself with the tab of a blade, unless one puts pressure on the tab against skin. I can see a light scratch happen if the blade is of poor quality and has sharp edges or burrs.

It should be easy to understand. Just think of a paper cut, only with steel. Last time this happened to me was with the dull end of a Feather, which felt a little ironic. No pressure involved, just the velocity of the razor while taking my usual stroke. I may go months without any problem, then one morning I will feel a sting and notice that my tragus is bleeding. Maybe that part of my anatomy happens to stick out a bit more that usual?

In theory I like the way the Probak and Mühle head designs tend to prevent this. But in practice I mostly use my favorite NEW, which leaves the tabs exposed. For me the best preventative seems to be to lather a little more enthusiastically, so I get a little lather on the problem area. I only seem to nick it when I forget to do that.

Top Bottom