What's new

Shaving in New Zealand

Howdy all.
As you can tell by the title, this thread is probably better suited for those who live in New Zealand.
I recently started using a DE, but I have a problem.
I'm a very impatient purchaser, I hate ordering stuff online as even a one night delivery is too long for me, I would rather drive across the North Island to get a pack of blades than wait for them to come in the mail.
But this leads to a different problem: It is very hard to find blades in stores.
All I've managed to find is Wilkinson Swords at the supermarket, but they seem a little pricey.

Does anyone know where to get the likes of feathers in store?
B.T.W I live in Hamilton, but have easy access to Tauranga and Auckland.

Finally! Another kiwi!

Blades are expensive here no matter where you get them. Those supermarket Wilkinsons are bloody ridiculously priced if they are the same as up here.

The only place I have found to get decent blades is the shaver shop up here Auckland http://www.shavershop.co.nz/

They sell Astras and Feathers for $NZ5 per 5 pack (80 cents US a blade for you Yanks). That is still way more than buying blades from overseas, even with shipping. I just bought 100 Astras from Sabledog on here for a very reasonable price. About 1/3 the cost of buying locally.

I did start a little blog about my NZ shaving experiences. It is more a joke to get back at my friends who all have blogs and who think I am mad with my shaving obsession. I kept threatening them that I'd start a blog up all about it. So I did :001_smile But I think you'll find it useful. I will add more stuff as I can be bothered.

http://www.asciimation.co.nz/bb/2008/03/22/shaving-in-nz

If you want to try some Astras I can chuck some in an envelope and post them down to you before you go buying in bulk. PM me if you're interested. Or you can drive up and collect. Hell, it's only an hour and a half right :001_smile

Simon

HAHAHA this is hilarious, I just found your blog two minutes before reading your reply.
So if you're confused as to who left that comment on your post...it was me.

HAHAHA this is hilarious, I just found your blog two minutes before reading your reply.
So if you're confused as to who left that comment on your post...it was me.

I haven't actually publicly announced the blog yet (errr, until now) so up until now only my friends have been commenting really. I figured it was you. I'm serious about sending you down a pack of Astras to try out if you like. You buy 100 of the things then realise that's almost several years supply so I can pass a few on here and there.

Will do a new post in a day or so about the different razors I have I think.

Sorry to hijack the thread with this - but I just had to mention my surprise at finding out Simon that you're the guy behind the ASCII Star Wars and Beer Brewing Bender. I think I first visited the ASCII thing in the late nineties (would that be right)?

It really is a small internet.

Sorry to hijack the thread with this - but I just had to mention my surprise at finding out Simon that you're the guy behind the ASCII Star Wars and Beer Brewing Bender. I think I first visited the ASCII thing in the late nineties (would that be right)?

It really is a small internet.

Yep! ASCII Star Wars, Bender Beer Brewer, Jet Powered Beer Cooler, TARDIS MAME console. All my hit whoring web sites :001_smile The Asciimation has been around since about 1997 from memory. I should really finish that one day!

Simon

Yep! ASCII Star Wars, Bender Beer Brewer, Jet Powered Beer Cooler, TARDIS MAME console. All my hit whoring web sites :001_smile The Asciimation has been around since about 1997 from memory. I should really finish that one day!

Well you realise you've set the bar high for some sort of shaving related contraption now.

I really appreciate the offer of the Astras, but after checking what I was using (I was at uni at the time of posting and don't tend to carry my shaving gear with me), I realized I actually use Astras right now.
I can get those for $6 (?) a pack of ten at the barber on Ward St, Hamilton.

How do the Astras compare to the Feathers from shave shop?

The Feathers, as anyone who has used them will tell you, are incredibly sharp! Uncomfortably so for some people. I haven't tried a Feather in any of my adjustables yet. I might have to pop down the road to the Shaver Shop and get some!

Simon

While it wont do you any good in the here and now, I will prolly be In Auckland come mid september. I have no problem tossing some feathers in my luggage, they are about 400yen per 10 pack here.

to AsciiSimon, That was you!?! ZOMG! Did you ever get a part II set up?

Top Bottom