What's new

Soap or Cream?

I'm still not sure on this one. Started with soap but now trying creams. I do like the convenience of creams in the tube for traveling.

Mike

I use both. I have been face lathering for awhile so I mainly use soaps. Creams tend to provide more cushion and soaps tend to be slicker. When I was a newbie I found creams to be much much easier to build a great lather with so I mainly used cream for a few months.

I get much better results from soaps. Better post shave feel(moisturizing), better slickness, better cushion/density (creams get dense, but to me it just feels like airspace and as such does not protect my face). Of course creams are much easier to use.

Soap, Croap, Cream.

I get excellent results from all of them once I learned that building their respective lathers requires slightly different treatment.

Mickey

IMO...It comes down to Personal Preference once you learn how to use both.

Soap will last longer and need more time to build, Creams don't last as long but are quick to build and shave with...everything else will vary by brand.

Combo. I charge my brush with VDH Deluxe soap then put a peanut size dab of The Real Shaving Company cream on the brush. I then build the lather in a bowl. Best of both worlds. Both can be found at Rite Aid.

For me, it depends on where I am. If I'm on the road, I'll take the cream along. In the shower at home, my specially made sandalwood soap by StinkyDancer does the trick.

Started with Proraso Green -- a croap. Then went to the TOBS creams. Currently using Maggards soaps. I always bowl lather with the same badger brushes, so aside from taking 60-90 seconds more to lather soap, there's no difference in prep. Currently liking soaps better because of the slickness, and slightly thicker lather, but still use TOBS creams if I need to save 90 seconds

Top Bottom