What's new

B&B A6 cover and Hobonichi

Does anyone know if the Hobonichi planner will fit into the Badger & Blade Franklin Christoph cover?

FYI, the new Seven Seas A5 notebook fits into the A5 Badger & Blade cover.

I don't know, as my Hobonichi techo has one of the official Hobo covers (I wanted one that was functional, with pockets and a pen loop, rather than just leather, as nice as leather covers are). In any case, the WCS website says the cover can hold a notebook that's 105x147mm. I measured my Hobo without its cover, and it's 105x149mm. So...? I have no idea if 2mm would make a difference with fit.

Edit: But, if the A5 cover (which fits books that are 147x210mm according to WCS) can fit the 148x210mm A5 Seven Seas Writer as you say, I'd take the chance. These covers usually have some breathing room.

Last edited:
I don't know, as my Hobonichi techo has one of the official Hobo covers (I wanted one that was functional, with pockets and a pen loop, rather than just leather, as nice as leather covers are). In any case, the WCS website says the cover can hold a notebook that's 105x147mm. I measured my Hobo without its cover, and it's 105x149mm. So...? I have no idea if 2mm would make a difference with fit.

Which cover did you choose? I'm still not sure which way I'd like to go when it comes to covers.

I got the Harris Tweed one, which they call the Angus. It wasn't exactly cheap, with the Yen being so strong and the shipping (it was like $78 total), but it came from Japan to the US in 6 days. But the non-leather Hobo covers start cheap, at like $11-$14 (plus maybe $10 shipping).

The cover fits the planner very well, and mine has 9 pockets in total, with a pen loop and 2 bookmarks (which I suppose could be useful, but so far I find them annoying).

I'm also thinking the thickness of the Hobo is greater than the FC notebook so that may have an effect on the fit. However the Seven Seas is slightly thicker and it fit in the A5 cover.

Edit: But, if the A5 cover (which fits books that are 147x210mm according to WCS) can fit the 148x210mm A5 Seven Seas Writer as you say, I'd take the chance. These covers usually have some breathing room.

Hobo is around 9/16". WCS says the notebook is 10/16".

Who is gonna test it out to confirm?

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1416439951259.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1416439951259.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 128
If I had to bet, I would say it would fit. I just measured the 7 seas versus the FC notebooks. Both have similar PAPER dimensions (147mm x 210mm) but the FC notebook itself is bigger because the hardcover has a lip over the edge of the paper. In contrast, the 7 seas and Hobo have flush cut covers. The 7 seas actually has play to the top and bottom in the FC leather cover while the FC notebook is snug.

Based on Kevan's measurements:

the WCS website says the cover can hold a notebook that's105x147mm. I measured my Hobo without its cover, and it's 105x149mm. So...? I have no idea if 2mm would make a difference with fit.

It appears the Hobo would fit the FC cover in the A6 size B&B cover because there is no lip on the Hobo.

The question is whether the extra thickness of the Hobo would make the B&B cover too tight horizontally (not be able to close completely.) However, based on the Hobo site stating the Hobo is 14mm thick and WCS stating the FC A6 notebooks is 10/16" thick (15.24mm) I would venture to say we have a winner!

Last edited:
I'm eagerly awaiting this update. My Hobonichi is bare, and 2015 fast approaches. I thought I could hold out a little longer, but I ended up picking up one of their cheaper covers today, along with some other accessories. With the dollar gaining a little strength on the yen, it came in a little cheaper than I expected. Still, the idea of a nice leather cover that doesn't cost a ton is very appealing.

I'm eagerly awaiting this update. My Hobonichi is bare, and 2015 fast approaches. I thought I could hold out a little longer, but I ended up picking up one of their cheaper covers today, along with some other accessories. With the dollar gaining a little strength on the yen, it came in a little cheaper than I expected. Still, the idea of a nice leather cover that doesn't cost a ton is very appealing.
That cover will come from Japan VERY quickly. They took 3 days to actually ship my cover, but when they did, it arrived 3 days after that. I wish I had gotten some accessories too, actually. Which ones did you get?

That cover will come from Japan VERY quickly. They took 3 days to actually ship my cover, but when they did, it arrived 3 days after that. I wish I had gotten some accessories too, actually. Which ones did you get?
If it ships half as fast as my Hobonichi did, I'll be more than happy.

This order:
$zoom_3.jpg
Navy cover

$slide_1.jpg
3-pack of Tomoe River memo books

$slide_1.jpg
Pencil Board

$slide_1.jpg
Dot Sticky Notes

Looking forward to all of it getting here and actually being able to start using the Planner.

That looks awesome. If I didn't have several pads of Tomoe River paper already I would've gotten those books, a notepad, and that moon envelope paper, and maybe some washi tape (Edit: and that pencil board!). I'll see how it goes once I actually start using the planner.

I've actually never used a planner before. I heard about the Hobo and was seduced by all the pictures and things looking super-organized, but I don't know yet how it will actually work out with me. To be truthful, the 4x6 size is a little small for my taste, and I have to use Pilot Hi-Tec C gel pens with their super thin lines to actually get a lot of info on the pages.

I wish they would create an English version of the Cousin book, because it's bigger and seems to have more features than the Original.

That looks awesome. If I didn't have several pads of Tomoe River paper already I would've gotten those books, a notepad, and that moon envelope paper, and maybe some washi tape. I'll see how it goes once I actually start using the planner.

I've actually never used a planner before. I heard about the Hobo and was seduced by all the pictures and things looking super-organized, but I don't know yet how it will actually work out with me. To be truthful, the 4x6 size is a little small for my taste, and I have to use Pilot Hi-Tec C gel pens with their super thin lines to actually get a lot of info on the pages.

I wish they would create an English version of the Cousin book, because it's bigger and seems to have more features than the Original.
It's my first time using a planner too. I've been prepping myself for it with a ton of Field Notes and Field Notes sized notebooks. I've gotten to the point where I don't know how I could go without having something like that with me, so I'm hoping that feeds into the Hobonichi. The small size works for me because I'll be more likely to carry it around than the larger Cousin size, though I would absolutely buy the larger size if it was available in English. There was a survey that was floating around from their site asking for input on how the site is, how you like the hobonichi, how you use it, and anything you would like to change, so I filled it out and requested an English version of the Cousin. Who knows, maybe they'll get enough nibbles to put one out.

I actually have a Seven Seas journal with a Gfeller cover and the B&B A5 journal for daily entries. Also, I don't see the Hobo replacing Google Calendar on my phone and computer so I figured that I would use it as my diet and exercise journal. I need to lose some weight so I'm hoping this gives me some incentive.

If anyone wants to join me I'd love the company!

Last edited:
Top Bottom