What's new

Is there a tie tying thread?

The Eldredge looks cool at first glance but it's one of those things that ends up being needlessly flashy. In my opinion it's a neat gimmick or novelty, and that's about it. I stick with simple four-in-hand or Windsor variations depending on collar spread and tie width.

Really the four in hand, Windsor, Pratt, and Shelby are the only ones most guys need to know, or should use. There are a dozen other areas to put more "flash" into other than your tie knot. One of the purposes of the tie is to draw the eye up to your face. It's not always a good idea to have a funky knot acting as a distraction to that purpose.

Last edited:
I would put in the argument that the half windsor is the ideal go-to knot. A little more gravitas than the four in hand, but not as bulky as a full windsor.

strop

Now half as wise
So this thread inspired me to try a different knot today!:thumbup1: I used a Pratt instead of my usual four-in-hand or half windsor.:lol:

Seriously though, I just don't think this old guy could pull this off. Seems like a knot for a young guy out on the town. Probably comparable to us old guys being able to pull off the fedora.

So this thread inspired me to try a different knot today!:thumbup1: I used a Pratt instead of my usual four-in-hand or half windsor.:lol:

Seriously though, I just don't think this old guy could pull this off. Seems like a knot for a young guy out on the town. Probably comparable to us old guys being able to pull off the fedora.

Or the Clubman! :laugh:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Every time I see this thread title, I think ...

proxy.php

Top Bottom