What's new

The pipes we choose

The pipes we choose are special to us. I learned thru trial weight is the most important feature for me, preferring pipes between 1 - 1.3 ounces. Bowl size is effected by my preference for less weight, so I tend to gravitate to smaller pipes, say group 3 or small group 4 sizes.

Shape is also an important consideration. Straight pipes are most appealing to my eye, but a slight to moderate bend is more pleasing to the eye. Apples hands down are the preferred bowl shape so much so, these are sought above all others.

Length is another consideration. Between 4.75 and 5.5 at most seem to fit best. A flared stem I have owned only one of. The fit of the bit I could not accept. Uncomfortable.

A smooth finish in amber or red warms my soul as the embers warm the bowl. A few rustic finishes I have tarried with, but smooth carries the day for me.

Taken as a whole, these characteristics represent many of my pipes, but not all.

What are your preferences?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My favorites are rather eclectic

Fancy Altinok Meerschaum, to a Jumbo Bosewell, Savinelli Chaira, Morta Poker... I'm all over the place.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Good topic. The more I think about it, the harder it is to say what my preferences are. For the most part, it's whatever catches my eye. Looking back at what has caught my eye in the past, however, I can pick some things out.

I like my billiards straight, with tapered stems. Bent billiards don't do anything for me, nor do saddle stems. I have one saddle billiard, and I don't like the way it moves around in my mouth, and I prefer the way a tapered stem looks. I could be swayed by a nice Lovat, but even then I'd rather have a Canadian.

For bowl shapes, I don't usually pay too much attention. I look to see if the whole pipe is visually pleasing shape-wise, and the bowl is simply part of that. Billiard, apple, egg, Dublin, whatever, it doesn't really matter, as long as the whole thing looks good. I do have a soft spot for bulldogs though. I prefer more traditionally shaped bulldogs, and they have to have the two grooves on the bowl.

Straight or bent makes little difference to me. It all depends on the particular pipe.

For finish, I mostly prefer smooth. Color isn't much of an issue, except that I prefer it not be black (on a smooth pipe, that is). I like to be able to see some grain (not that I care much about nice grain; I just want it to be there). Rustication is ok, but I am very picky about it, which is why I generally prefer smooth. Other than Stanwell's Brushed finish, I really can't say that there's any rustic finish I consistently like. They vary from maker to maker. I can say that I don't like rustication that consists of lots of big gouges (or even worse, just a few) taken from the wood, or that looks like it was done with a Dremel tool. I have a Yello-Bole Checker with the latter. I love that pipe, and the quality of the rustication is less important than the overall appearance, but the rustication does leave something to be desired. On further reflection, I guess I prefer fine rustication, rather than coarse. Going back to the gouges, I have an Algerian basket pipe that was rusticated that way. But instead of big gouges (like Dr. Grabows), it has many smaller ones, and it looks quite nice, as far as basket pipes go.

Weight isn't too much of a concern. It's how the pipe looks and smokes that matters most. Weight really only becomes a concern for me when a pipe is at the upper limit for clenching. When it's light enough to clench, but heavy enough to make my jaw tired.

Anyway, despite my long-winded (long-pixeled?) answer, it really comes down to what catches my eye. My preferences aren't hard and fast rules (except for the bulldog ones).

I will only buy a pipe if it fits in one or more of four categories: traditional shaped, free hand shaped, smooth finished and rusticated finish. Every one of my 50 or so pipes fits into at least one of these categories. I know that must make me seem like a rigid disciplinarian when it comes to my smoking apparatuses, but I won't deviate from those standards.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I will only buy a pipe if it fits in one or more of four categories: traditional shaped, free hand shaped, smooth finished and rusticated finish. Every one of my 50 or so pipes fits into at least one of these categories. I know that must make me seem like a rigid disciplinarian when it comes to my smoking apparatuses, but I won't deviate from those standards.
That sounds a lot simpler than my method. The next time I have money to buy a pipe, I think I'll try it your way.

Gotta love a guy who has standards. :wink2:

I am tending toward larger (like really large) 3/4 bent pipes and large freehands.

I am slowly realizing that I don't care for freehands as much as I thought. I like the classic shapes and usually in the billiard family. A pipe over 6 inches is just not that appealing to me. I prefer blasted or rusticated as well. I don't have many sandblasts but I think it's my favorite finish. I also prefer saddle bits.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The pipe chooses the smoker Mr. Ctr

+1. I have been chosen by both smooth and rusticated and I do love a nice blast. My preference is for smooth with nice grain, traditional shaped bent pipes, like a 3/4 bent brandy jaw hanger.

Smaller bowls and at least slightly bent stems are what I gravitate to. I love the look of freehands, but every one I see is way too big for my tastes.

Big sucker for an apple shape... Not sure if that's the "technical" term or not, LOL...

And I don't seem to have much in the way of rusticated. Smooth grain for me for the most part.

Dean

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Good choice. They are great smokers. Make sure you get a real Missouri Meerschaum. It's the only way to go.

+2 I seem to not have any interest in my briars. Have sold a Falcon and Savinelli because they just don't get any use. Still have a Lorenzo and Dr. Grabow, but I just keep drifting to cobs. Would like to see what a real Meerschaum is all about one day.

As I only have the one 2014 LE pipe I'd say it definitely choose me , just something about the shape is pleasing. I do plan on getting a cob or two to branch out and try a bunch of different tobacco with

Top Bottom