What's new

Looking for shaving stores in New York City or online

R

Ross

Can anyone recommend stores in New York City that carry a wide range of good shaving items or that have good prices?

Also, can anyone recommend good online stores?

Thanks,

Ross

I had a post a week or 2 ago about shops in NY. Leisureguy posted the following response which I found ver helpful:

"Pasteur's is your best bet in terms of price. They are competitive with the best internet sources, on that score. Their selection of top shelf shave goods is quite extensive (Trumper's, D R Harris, T&H, Taylor's, and Coate's). Also aftershaves like Skin Food and Harris's Milk, and some colognes. The 61st Street and Lexington Ave. store also has Simpson brushes at VERY good prices, but the selection is limited.

That said, every serious traditional shaver owes it to himself to visit Cambridge Chemists at 21 East 65th Street. The most extensive selection of top shelf shave goods and gentlemen's toiletries in North America. They have the largest selection of shave brushes, almost all of which are Simpson's and Rooney's; including unusual models of Simpsons, as well as the beautiful Rooney Finest model true Whites. Their brushes are usually branded 'John Bull', as has been their practice for a very long time. Ask for Scott, and tell him I sent you. Their prices are not the lowest, but the store is a must visit..

If you'd like to check out some Plisson brushes, the place is Clyde's on Madison, in the low 70s. One of the two shops in America that stock any number of these top shelf brushes. Even if you have no intention of buying, it's worth a look.

If you're interested in the top of the line Omega badger brushes, Boyd's on Madison in the low 60s, has quite a selection. There are other places of interest, and if you have anything specific in mind, post, and I'll try to help.

Note: Boyd's moved to 968 3rd Avenue at 58th street."

Hope that helps.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Every time I go to Pasteur's I get a chubby, and I don't mean a Simpson's.:tongue_sm

Try International Cutlery-formerly Hoffritz on Madison Ave-ironically its right next to the Art of Shaving. The are a few apothecaries on Lexington Ave along with the Art of Shaving 58th & Caswell Massey-48th & Lexington. Try Bigelows on 6th Ave & 7th(?) St-they have an excellent selection, but are pricey. I found an pharmacy-apothecary with reasonable prices not too far from the JP Morgan Museum, but the can't remember the name.
You can find the cheap Plisson shave brushes at Chopin Pharmacy Greenpoint Ave in Brooklyn, but I was not impressed with them. FLoris of London has a shop on 5th Ave, but beyond my means except for the 1/2 off sale

Top Bottom