What's new

What's going to be on your Thanksgiving table this year?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
This year, the Mrs. and I (plus guests...and they will be bringing the 'other fixings'), will be trying out and serving a Southern dish called Turducken which consists of a deboned chicken stuffed into a deboned duck, which is in turn stuffed into a deboned turkey w/ pork rice and cornbread dressing from Big Easy Foods (http://www.bigeasyfoods.com
/products/tur-duc-hens/cornbread-pork-rice-tur-duc-hen/#.VGexzcm6SuJ
).
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

We decided to buy a store bought 15lbs Turducken as a test (especially since we've always made the dressing separate), and if we like the results...next year the Mrs. and I will debone the three birds ourselves and make our own dressing (smoked oyster, bacon and leek dressing w/ a even mix of cornbread and french bread), and Cranberry Sauce w/ Apples & Port). :thumbsup:

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken

$Turducken.jpg "It's like 'Inception' with poultry". Author Unknown

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I've had one. They are...interesting. Be careful removing it from the pan to cutting board.
Stephen:
Thanx for the advice, support and for sharing (I'll be sure to let the Turducken 'rest' real good before carving)! :thumbsup:

attachment.php
"It's like 'Inception' with poultry". Author Unknown

Last edited:
I've just ordered an eye of round roast from my local butcher so I can dry age it from when I pick it up (Monday) to its roasting on the Black Friday. :) I do a rub based on salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. I follow the America's Test Kitchen method of slow roasting at 225F for 2.5 to 3 hours (with the last half hour seeing an oven go off but roast inside) after searing.

I'm thinking I'll serve it with a shallot gravy based on the beef drippings and fond from the bottom of the searing pan. Some mashed potatoes with cream and butter and maybe some steamed cubes of butternut squash and sweet potato with some butter lightly drizzled over the top.

I might try the turduckhen some day though. Sounds a bit over the top but isn't that what the holidays are about? :) Let us know how that turns out as I've not seen that or turduckhens available locally (though, to be fair, I've never asked).

My family always eats the same things every year. I have been successfully rotating pie flavors, but absolutely failed at rotating dishes. Two years ago, I served completely new dishes, except for the classic turkey, and had a mini revolt on my hands :001_huh: So, last year and this year again, I will be serving the same old, albeit delicious, dishes:

• Turkey
  • Giblet stuffing
  • Gravy (I really like this one)
  • Homemade cranberry sauce
  • Sliced and roasted sweet potatoes
  • Corn casserole
  • Green bean casserole
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Pies (my flavors for this year are pumpkin, key lime, and coconut)

We will have Smoked Peppered Ham, a Smoked Turkey Breast, Green beans, Pickle Tray, Chicken and Dressing, Soup , Sweet Potato Casserole , Cranberry sauce, mashed potato's and gravy.
Chocolate pie, Pecan Pie and Pumpkin Pie.
3 gallons of Sweet Tea and Coke, Dr Pepper and Sprite for the afternoon.

Not even going to tell us how you will be preparing his head? Roasted? Fried? Broiled? Grilled? C'mon, Tony! We need details!

A more interesting question is how his head will get there. The knife used to carve the turkey? Perhaps a straight razor?

We are having a fairly traditional Thanksgiving meal: turkey, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, an as yet to be determined vegetable, and pie/cake.

Last edited:
Turkey leg and thigh. Cranberries just keep my brother the cranberry farmer happy. Mashed potatoes, gravy, southwestern vegetable mix. Cherry pie if I can find the low sugar variety.

And a lot of turkey burritos in the freezer, ready for the next six months.:thumbup:
Between this and Christmas, I have burritos for the rest of the year for use camping trips or when I just don't feel like cooking.

Traditional turkey, stuffed with home made stuffing ( milk crackers, sausage, onions , spices) small about 7 lbs. will freeze some meat for soup to be made later

Half the family dislikes ham, the other turkey. This year, instead of both, we are serving neither. This year will be Cajun tri-tips, shrimp and grits stuffing, green bean casserole and hash brown casserole.

I had a TurDucKen a few years ago, but I got mine from www.cajungrocer.com. They offer a few different types of stuffing options and send it to you in a cooler with dry ice. I actually liked it and enjoyed having the three different types of meat. It's definitely something worth trying. Enjoy it!

We started a tradition about 25 years ago at my church. Anyone who does not have their own family in the area and can't travel, will come to the church and join our family. I will deep fry 5 or six turkeys (I was frying whole turkeys before it was cool) and everyone brings a favorite side dish. we usually have 30 or 40 show up. It really turns into quite a party. My favorite family holiday.

We started a tradition about 25 years ago at my church. Anyone who does not have their own family in the area and can't travel, will come to the church and join our family. I will deep fry 5 or six turkeys (I was frying whole turkeys before it was cool) and everyone brings a favorite side dish. we usually have 30 or 40 show up. It really turns into quite a party. My favorite family holiday.
That is a great Ministry at our Church the Deacons pick up any of the widows and they serve them Dinner at the Church.

I’m having dinner with my girlfriend’s family and it’s going to be the usual traditional fare, but Saturday is “Not so Mini Thanksgiving” at my friend’s place for other friends to come hang out and get away from family and what not. We’re smoking 3 pork shoulders and a turkey. It should be a good time.

God Bless You, that is a wonderful act of fellowship. The holidays are difficult for those who are alone.

My wife and I plan on having a quiet Thanksgiving by ourselves,with the usual menu. Instead of a whole turkey we are going to do a turkey breast in the crock pot.

Top Bottom