What's new

Thater?

I would like to purchase this brush http://www.royalshave.com/p/411-132-00/thater-4292-2-creme-silvertip-shaving-brush.html in either the white or black, its a hard decision. I really like it without the Thater logo on the side, anyone know if it will come as pictured? The other thing im struggling with is if I would be happy with a 21mm or maybe a 22mm. I really dont want a big brush and I truly think a 21mm would fit me just fine. I still keep going back and forth, and I cant make up my mind. So is there by any chance any you gentlemen out there that currently have the Thater 21mm bulb shape and could post a pic of it? also if you have a Thater 22mm bulb, Id love to see both. Love to hear any opinons as well.

i have been looking at picking up a thater brush too.for some reason i feel quite wasteful buying a new brush when i already have 3 brushes.i think i would feel better about my purchase if i sold a brush first.anyone else feel similar?

I have the Thater 4292/3 (imitation horn) which is the advertised 22mm knot. Mine actually specs out (post bloom) at 24mm. It is a fantastic brush! Since you are torn between the 21 and 22, I'd recommend the 21. Oh, and mine does not have any logo on the side of the brush, it's a silver sticker on the bottom. Here's a pic by itself, and next to my Savile Row 3122 for comparison.

$Thater4293.jpg
$STc.jpg

You can't go wrong with a Thater. They are excellent brushes. I have the 4376/3 Silver Tip and it is a 22mm knot. I love it and will shave with it tomorrow. Whichever you choose you will not be disappointed.

$Thater 1.jpg
I have this 4292/5 which is supposed to be huge but I find it rather easy to work with. No problem controlling the flow and placement of the lather. It's really soft and just a pleasure to use. It's a two band so it may have a bit more backbone than the 3 band. Try it you'll like it!

i decided to go with the 4125 22mm and got the other handle in black. its a nice brush, and is very soft. a few things arent to my liking though, and may not hold on to it that long. i tryed to give a brief review on my first impressions of it here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/432290-Thater-4125 seems to hog the lather, and doesnt produce as nice of a lather as my other brushes. i also got a simpson classic 1 the other too, but havent used it yet because i got the newer style which i really didnt want, so i may return it. i ordered the older style friday and hoping it will arrive quick, been killing me cause i really want to try it out.

$my new thater.PNG

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
What don't you like about the Thater? Mine is my favorite brush I've used so far and while I haven't tried them all, I've had a good number of brushes (2 Shavemacs, 2 Vie Longs, Simpson, Rooney, and my Thater). Just crazy soft with the perfect amount of flow and backbone. I really want to try a Savile Row to compare with it since they are often spoken of in the same sentence.

well it doesnt produce the same lather results as my other brushes. it also hogs the lather quite a bit and and it doesnt splay much. i really dont want to mash it while making the lather or applying the lather, as that might damage the brush. ive been painting on the lather with it, and really it does a fine job, but when i use my muhle fiber i can whip up one heck of a lather with it, and it also opens up quite nicely on my face releasing loads of rich lather that i just made with it. i dont plan on getting rid of the thater anytime to soon, i want to use it quite a bit more and see if maybe i build a better relationship with it.

ive actually been calling mine tater, ha. i figured if i wrote tater instead of thater though, people would just think i misspelled it.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
well it doesnt produce the same lather results as my other brushes. it also hogs the lather quite a bit and and it doesnt splay much. i really dont want to mash it while making the lather or applying the lather, as that might damage the brush. ive been painting on the lather with it, and really it does a fine job, but when i use my muhle fiber i can whip up one heck of a lather with it, and it also opens up quite nicely on my face releasing loads of rich lather that i just made with it. i dont plan on getting rid of the thater anytime to soon, i want to use it quite a bit more and see if maybe i build a better relationship with it.

Interesting. Mine builds a great lather. What method do you use? I use a more dry method. I don't squeeze the knot but I shake it out really well before loading and I load the brush for a bit longer than others because the soft tips don't pick up soap as quickly. My Thater actually has the best flow of any other brush I've used so far, not a hog at all, and from what I can tell Thater is known for their great flow through because that's part of why I bought mine. I haven't found anything it can't lather, just some soaps that it needs more time loading and it holds so much water it's nuts so that's why I shake it out so much.

Hopefully you can get accustomed to it more. I think you'll like it more when you find a technique with it that works for you. Also, don't mash the brush but don't be afraid to make it splay a little bit. There's a difference between splay and mashing, splay will not hurt the brush.

Painting strokes and lack of splay/opening up are the earmarks of the Muhle fibres I've used, certainly the opposite of the Thaters. Puzzling.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
My Thater didn't like to splay in the first 2 uses or so as I remember. Needed a break in, but it didn't take long. Started off kind of springy but turned into a puff ball of pure luxury afterward.

Mine was the 4292/3 and /4 in 2-band bulb. I've not tried the denser 4125 series, so maybe that has something to do with it? I actually prefer the former(s) because of their increased flowthrough and handle shape, and the 2-band hair adds just enough firmness to where I prefer it slightly over the Savile Row, my former fave.

i have been looking at picking up a thater brush too.for some reason i feel quite wasteful buying a new brush when i already have 3 brushes.i think i would feel better about my purchase if i sold a brush first.anyone else feel similar?

I do. I owned 80+ badgers and sold a lot of them. Now I'm down to only 35 badgers and one synthetic (for travel purpose)

Painting strokes and lack of splay/opening up are the earmarks of the Muhle fibres I've used, certainly the opposite of the Thaters. Puzzling.
yes, everyones different i guess. my muhle whips up a great lather, and is i what i do with it then, is stick my chin out and push the muhle right into my chin, and thats what opens up the brush, i then lather all around face and get the all the lather released from it, i then go back over with some painting strokes. its just perfect. the muhle doesnt splay to well just by pushing it on your cheek, you need to push in over your chin or jaw line to get it to open up. but im not done with my thater yet either, i just noticed it wasnt giving the same results as my muhle, but with some time maybe ill adjust to it and like it much more.

Well, I certainly hope you end up finding the right balance with the Thater. And I agree that the only way to get the Muhle to splay was to work it against the chin first, then move on from there. I liked the quality of the brush itself and the lather it generated, just not the way it went about it. I'd like to try the XL version of the Jagger sometime to see if it's more amenable to my style.

Top Bottom