What's new

Ceramic Peeler

I was trying to peel butternut squash the other day and it got our peeler all bent out of shape. In all honesty, it's pretty crappy as it struggles with potatoes sometimes too. My wife walked in the kitchen and told me to go and order a ceramic peeler. I guess she saw it on Pinterest or something, haha. I've never seen/used a ceramic peeler...are they worthwhile? I only noticed that it might set us back $15 for a little kitchen gadget.

I gave one as a gift once one advantage is with discoloration of food like apples and potatoes. It's also to keep a keen edge longer. Others will chime in��

Isn't ceramic pretty brittle (or did I miss the developments of the past few years)?

I personally would go with a good steel peeler.

As Eeyore pointed out, ceramic is extremely brittle. The peeler will chip if dropped or used to peel anything hard, such as that butternut squash. I had one once and will never purchase one again.

I have always used these peelers from Kuhn Rikon. They only cost $4 and should last a lifetime.

EDIT: The best way to peel that butternut squash will be with a knife. Get a sharp pairing knife (I got this pairing knife and shear set for only $20) and peel the butternut squash with that. Another option would be to use a chef's knife, which is what I normally do.

Last edited:
I have the same Kitchen Aid peeler and like it. It works fine on a butternut squash. Won't do a thicker skinned one, though. I expect it'll shorten its life, but haven't found out yet. Used to use a knife, but this is easier.

BTW, their can opener (and most of their small gadgets) is pretty bad.

I had a kyocera ceramic peeler that did a nice job. Was actually kind of scared of it. it didn't live for long in my knife roll that travels with me everywhere.

I buy a 3 pack of Kuhn Rikon peelers for $10 and use them until I lose them or they get swiped. When I get down to one I just buy more. The stainless bladed ones last a long while and are surprising sharp for something so cheap. They will rust so don't let them sit in the sink....

$314J4tFdeYL._SY300_.jpgmaybe im old fashioned....but I still use one of these

Old thread I know, but I have recently been placed into service peeling and prepping squash for the SO. Her peeler was ... not up to the task, shall we say. I brought my Rex/Star brand peeler (made in Switzerland) and it rips through those skins really well. After I finished she thought it was just because of my size that I got through them so quickly. So she took it and was amazed. They really are nice peelers. (These are the ones sold by "the world's greatest peeler salesman" on YouTube, although I don't know where to find any that cheap. They are around $15 to get in Canada.)

Top Bottom