What's new

TOBS peppermint?

Great stuff! Smells good performs great and has a little cooling effect. Not as strong as proraso, but you can still tell its there. My pot of cream came pretty solid which is nice, because I prefer to load straight from the tub so this allows me to load it somewhat like soap. I'm not sure if all the tubs have that drier consistency or not.

I'm not sure if all the tubs have that drier consistency or not.

Mine's pretty dense, but not so dense I can't scoop out a bit and load it directly in the brush. I can also lather it like a croap if I want. It's pretty versatile. (In contrast, the DRH is so dense, I find it better to work it like a croap.)

I've been very much in the mood for a minty, refreshing soap or cream these days. I have my small tub of Nancy Boy to use meantime, but otherwise I'm considering the TOBS or the Cyril Salter Fresh Mint. Can anyone compare the two for me?

OK, I got a tub of this yesterday and gave it a spin this morning. The hype was spot on. It lathered well, felt cool on the skin, and smelled great. When I was finished rinsing my face with cold water - it felt like I had been drinking water after sucking on an altoid - very cold. For the negatives, I felt like the cream lost its moisture for the 2nd and 3rd passes. I kept having to add a bit of water on the brush to bring back the 'glide'. This surprised me a bit. But, it was the first time, and most likely my technique still sucks.

I don't think it will be my daily cream, but definitely it will be in the rotation. I also got a tub of St James (smells like Calvin Klein cologne) and Grapefruit. A lot of people here hyped up the Grapefruit - but I can already tell that I shouldn't have ordered it... I hate eating grapefruit, and it smells just like it. Of course my wife and two sons thought it smelled good enough to eat.

Mine's pretty dense, but not so dense I can't scoop out a bit and load it directly in the brush. I can also lather it like a croap if I want. It's pretty versatile. (In contrast, the DRH is so dense, I find it better to work it like a croap.)

After croap lathering this cream several times, the consistency in the pot is starting to get a little goopy, meaning the moisture coming off the brush is getting into the cream and altering its consistency. At the surface level, it's starting to feel kind of like AOS, which is considerably lighter than how it was when I first opened the lid. Today, dipping my brush in the cream left divots, which didn't happen the first few times I did it. I think I'll need to revert to scooping out the cream, rather than croap lathering, to keep the consistency from degrading further. This isn't really a ding against the cream, since I usually scoop most soft creams, leaving croap lathering for ultra-dense or dehydrated creams. Still, I thought I should mention it, since I originally said my tub holds up to croap lathering.

BTW, I like this cream so much, I just ordered four more tubs, taking advantage of Royal Shave's recent TOBS sale (which ended yesterday). This cream jumped right onto my short list of faves, alongside such stalwarts as Trumper Coconut, T&H UC, and CF lavender.

Top Bottom