What's new

Best-tasting Coffee | Consumer Reports

It would have been nice to see the whole spread of data and methodology but that was interesting nonetheless. Having not had a single one of the blends mentioned, I can't speak to the accuracy of their findings.

I can't recall ever finding my own prefrences and experiences in line with CR. I'm certainly not buying any preground based only on their findings.

I'd say the preground suggestion is purely for those not possessing their own grinder. I don't think they're meant to compete on the same level.

I'd say the preground suggestion is purely for those not possessing their own grinder. I don't think they're meant to compete on the same level.
Agreed. The video review conclusions seemed pretty reasonable. About the preground, I wonder if the results would have been the same if they first open the bag and then brewed it 4-5 days later like the average person would be doing.

I remember one time they had to do a correction because they tested Cafe Bustelo and brewed it in an automatic coffeemaker, not realising it was an espresso, and should not have been included as a normal coffee, as it got horrible ratings by their tasters when prepared that way, and judged as regular coffee.

Consumers Union is a fraud. I used to call on a White Consolidated Industries plant which manufactured refrigerators. They manufactured all brands but GE/Hotpoint, Whirlpool/Sears, Amana, and one other. They used to laugh when CU tested refrigerators. The differences were amazing..some of their brands check-rated and others not recommended. There were all the same refrigerators with only trim differences! (They also had a 3-mile long test line and the end of their assembly line where all refrigerators were hooked up to computers and run while travelling the test line to insure quality) The issues that CU pointed out could not be explained by variations in unit to unit.

I read one of their coffee reviews several months ago. Surprizingly, they recommended Great Value pretty highly, the Walmart private label. I haven't tried it but bought the decaf for the GF but she didn't care for it.

It looks like they used a standard coffee drip machine. In my experience, you can put just about anything through that and it all tastes the same.

Consumers Union is a fraud. I used to call on a White Consolidated Industries plant which manufactured refrigerators. They manufactured all brands but GE/Hotpoint, Whirlpool/Sears, Amana, and one other. They used to laugh when CU tested refrigerators. The differences were amazing..some of their brands check-rated and others not recommended. There were all the same refrigerators with only trim differences! (They also had a 3-mile long test line and the end of their assembly line where all refrigerators were hooked up to computers and run while travelling the test line to insure quality) The issues that CU pointed out could not be explained by variations in unit to unit.
Huh???

Top Bottom