What's new

Using rubbing alcohol to sterilize razor before shaving?

Z

Zyduve

Thanks for mentioning the damage to aluminum, patrisVII. Now I know what happened to my black handle super speed (which is black resin over an aluminum handle).

I agree with most said already.

Bought a spray bottle from the $1 store and just give my razor a quick spray down with rubbing alcohol. The bottle is a nice green too, so it isn't an eye-sore. :thumbup1:

Last I knew they don't drench razor blades in scurvy, hepatitis, or anything else. Seems like overkill to dip blades in alcohol. If you're getting razor burn due to "unsterilized, diseased" blades it would be all over your face. If you use a DE it would be hypothetically over half your face. If you're a SE user it would be all over your face. My dad has shaved DE all of his life and he's never had such a problem. There's a reason people get razor burn.

If I remembered anything in from Navy "A" school (dental assisting) it was that alcohol isn't a very good sterilization medium.

What it works better for is to displace water and for that reason when I'm done using my razor (usually a TTO), I open up the doors and give it a good spray. Then remove the blade, dry it off on a towel, and strop it on the heel of my hand or on my jeans. by that time the razor is dry. The blade is replaced and we're ready to go.

The epidermis of your skin already has millions if not billions of bacteria already one it. Some bad, some good.

If the issue really bothers you, you might wish to consider briefly dipping your razor in Barbicide or some similar liquid sterilization medium. That's dip and then rinse, not soak or store. Some B&B'ers have said it'll ruin the finish.

Last edited:
First time I heard of rinsing the razor in alcohol post-shave or submersing it in alcohol between shaves I was in grad school and I started to wonder if I had been doing something wrong the last ten years out of ignorance. Then I realized that I never really had problems with outbreaks and I continued as always. I have to imagine it doesn't make a big difference for daily shavers who use the same razor and rinse it thoroughly and dry it after each use.

I have been swishing the razor head for a second or two because some razor blades are carbon steel and rust over one or two days.
I have a new 'Standard' razor made of aircraft grade aluminum and I've been afraid of doing that with this new razor.

Ok, so I stumbled into this thread. I use a product called star-san to sanitize my home brewing equipment. It's an acid based sanitizer but at the proper concentration is safe to use on SS. I was wondering if anybody had tried using this or a similar product to sanitize their shave gear. IMO for the amounts we're talking about at the proper dilution the cost would be much less overall than rubbing alcohol. In addition it should (in theory) be even more effective. In a covered dish or a spray bottle the solution remains viable for a good period after it's been mixed (weeks). Just a thought.

Dipping in rubbing alcohol was long advised for carbon steel blades. The rubbing alcohol displaced water and helped retard rust. Rubbing alcohol does also have antibacterial properties so it could make sense to lop off any lingering and/or growing bacterial populations, but how far would you want to take that? Perhaps one should also whittle off the bath soap before each shower, especially if it was previously used to wash out fecal matter and other unpleasantness. Sterilize the toothbrush, its been digging all kinds of bugs from the teeth, gums, tongue, and the mouth's mucosal linings. Never use the washcloth more than once, and launder it in boiling water. It grows mold an mildew spores if left damp in a dark bathroom in this humidity.

Before and after each shave I dip the head of my razor in alcohol, and I notice a difference if I don't. Along with the sanitary concerns, I believe it also helps in reducing razor burn by keeping the blade from corroding, possibly because it will dry faster and remove soap scum.

I also do this, and have found my blades last longer.

I tend to splash the razor head with alcohol after shaving, or between shaves... never considered doing it right before a shave. Some interesting information here.

Top Bottom