1 carrot, grated
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, quartered
3/4 cup chopped parsley
1 rind from a wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano
1/2 pound of small pasta, I used pennette
Salt
Pepper, optional

In a large pot add beans, water, and the celery rib that was snapped in half. In a separate saucepan, sautee olive oil, onion, celery, and carrot until soft. Add garlic to the saucepan and cook for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes. Add two pinches of salt. Cover and simmer until the tomatoes break down. When the beans are tender, discard the big pieces of celery, add the sauteed veggies, parmesan rind and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Increase the heat, add pasta and more water if needed. Cook the pasta until al dente. Stir in parsley and salt to taste.

$image.jpg

Last edited:
Thai Curry Soup:
2 cans coconut milk (full fat, taste better, screw being healthy ;))
4 C chicken broth
Meat (Chicken, shrimp, or whatever you feel like)
Veggies
Red or Green curry paste to taste

That’s the basis, so whatever else you want to do is up to you. Lemon grass, Thai basil, etc… for flavoring and as for veggies I usually do onions, peppers, and maybe potatoes. The Masaman (Sp?) brand curry paste I use is pretty flavorful, so you don’t have to add a lot of extra spices. It’s basically like fixing curry but adding chicken broth to make it soupy. I love fixing steamed or fried pork dumplings and ladling this over top to have a nice bowl of curry soup with pork dumplings. The spiciness of the soup mixes well with the sweet/savory of the pork dumplings and the Thai/Chinese put together is pretty BA. I’ll have to find my pork dumpling recipe. It’s pretty simple, but the process is tedious so it’s a good idea to have help.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sounds really good. You guys are making me hungry.

Pasta e fagioli

1 pound dry borlotti beans, soaked overnight
4 quarts water
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 ribs celery, 2 ribs diced, 1 rib snapped in half
1 carrot, grated
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, quartered
3/4 cup chopped parsley
1 rind from a wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano
1/2 pound of small pasta, I used pennette
Salt
Pepper, optional

In a large pot add beans, water, and the celery rib that was snapped in half. In a separate saucepan, sautee olive oil, onion, celery, and carrot until soft. Add garlic to the saucepan and cook for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes. Add two pinches of salt. Cover and simmer until the tomatoes break down. When the beans are tender, discard the big pieces of celery, add the sauteed veggies, parmesan rind and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Increase the heat, add pasta and more water if needed. Cook the pasta until al dente. Stir in parsley and salt to taste.

View attachment 522452

Thai Curry Soup:
2 cans coconut milk (full fat, taste better, screw being healthy ;))
4 C chicken broth
Meat (Chicken, shrimp, or whatever you feel like)
Veggies
Red or Green curry paste to taste

That’s the basis, so whatever else you want to do is up to you. Lemon grass, Thai basil, etc… for flavoring and as for veggies I usually do onions, peppers, and maybe potatoes. The Masaman (Sp?) brand curry paste I use is pretty flavorful, so you don’t have to add a lot of extra spices. It’s basically like fixing curry but adding chicken broth to make it soupy. I love fixing steamed or fried pork dumplings and ladling this over top to have a nice bowl of curry soup with pork dumplings. The spiciness of the soup mixes well with the sweet/savory of the pork dumplings and the Thai/Chinese put together is pretty BA. I’ll have to find my pork dumpling recipe. It’s pretty simple, but the process is tedious so it’s a good idea to have help.

I just made some Leek and Potato soup this weekend. Absolutely amazing.

:thumbup1::thumbup::thumbup1:

Those all sound amazing guys. Thanks for posting.

I try to keep a few different stocks in my freezer for the winter to make risottos and soups. My typical approach to soup is to pick a stock and add whatever vegetables I feel like using. A protein may or may not go in. I may add lentils. Then I finish it off with some herbs and a little flavored vinegar (usually champagne or balsamic). Vinegar adds acidity to brighten the soup and make the flavors stand out without having to add so much salt.

Made a batch of New England style clam chowder this AM. So easy and so good. Based on this recipe:

http://foodspin.deadspin.com/how-to-make-clam-chowder-like-real-fackin-new-englandah-1614954906

But, I tweaked it to make it more the way I like it. Used my homemade bacon, and added celery seed powder and mushrooms. Yeah I know...mushrooms aren't traditional but I love 'em in soups. Also used redskin potatoes instead of russets b/c I feel they stand up better texture wise and I like the flavor of the red potato skins.

proxy.php
[/url]Clam CHOWDA by cxg231, on Flickr[/IMG]

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think the greatest advance in the history of soup making is the immersion blender.

Yes, it is chowda....... From NE. Looks good, recipe is ok, good job.
As a kid i would dive for sea clams during the summer , grind and freeze them , then use in my chowda during the winter months. Very sweet clams, better than the canned stuff.

Made a batch of New England style clam chowder this AM. So easy and so good. Based on this recipe:

http://foodspin.deadspin.com/how-to-make-clam-chowder-like-real-fackin-new-englandah-1614954906

But, I tweaked it to make it more the way I like it. Used my homemade bacon, and added celery seed powder and mushrooms. Yeah I know...mushrooms aren't traditional but I love 'em in soups. Also used redskin potatoes instead of russets b/c I feel they stand up better texture wise and I like the flavor of the red potato skins.

proxy.php
[/URL]Clam CHOWDA by cxg231, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sounds and looks delicious.....good day here for some clam chowder. But where still working through whats left over of our turkey. But we did make a surprisingly good turkey soup.

Alton Brown's butternut squash soup is a winner! Made it for Thanksgiving once about ten years ago and it's been demanded every year since!

Peel, seed, cut up into chunks, toss with melted butter, salt & pepper one large or two medium butternut squash and roast in a sheet pan at 425 for about an hour or until fork tender. Dump in a pot with a quart of chicken stock, 1-2 tsp grated ginger, pinch of ground clove, pinch of cinnamon, and 3 Tbsp honey. Bring to simmer. Puree with stick blender till very smooth. Add water or more stock as necessary to get the thickness you like. put back on stove to simmer for 15 minutes. Add 1 cup of heavy cream and a couple grinds of fresh nutmeg. Serve at once with a dollop of sour cream or creme fresh.

Note: The cinnamon and clove are optional (my addition) and use all spices sparingly!!!! You can always add more but very hard to fix too much. (Wisdom through experience! :)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Alton Brown's butternut squash soup is a winner! Made it for Thanksgiving once about ten years ago and it's been demanded every year since!

Peel, seed, cut up into chunks, toss with melted butter, salt & pepper one large or two medium butternut squash and roast in a sheet pan at 425 for about an hour or until fork tender. Dump in a pot with a quart of chicken stock, 1-2 tsp grated ginger, pinch of ground clove, pinch of cinnamon, and 3 Tbsp honey. Bring to simmer. Puree with stick blender till very smooth. Add water or more stock as necessary to get the thickness you like. put back on stove to simmer for 15 minutes. Add 1 cup of heavy cream and a couple grinds of fresh nutmeg. Serve at once with a dollop of sour cream or creme fresh.

Note: The cinnamon and clove are optional (my addition) and use all spices sparingly!!!! You can always add more but very hard to fix too much. (Wisdom through experience! :)

This looks amazing Tony. I like the addition of clove and cinnamon. Nutmeg would be a thought. Sparingly is a good tip.

Amy's Chicken Soup

1. Whole Chicken , fresh or rotisserie baked.
2. 4-6 cups of water.
3. salt , pepper and a dash of red pepper flakes to taste.
4. 2 packages of No Yokes egg noodles.
5. 1 onion, 1 carrot, chopped fine and 1 can of tomatoes.

In a large stock pot add water and chicken and bring to a boil , turn down heat and cover for 20 minutes, Check bird and remove meat off the bones and back into the pot then add chopped veggies and canned one, stir and add in egg noodles, recover and simmer for another 20 minutes check and add salt and pepper and red pepper flake as needed.

I call this Santa Fe Soup. It's quick and easy. Good hot, and great in the summer because it's good cold.

Ingredients:

• 2 - 15 oz cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 - 15 oz cans Diced Tomatoes, drained and rinsed
  • 2 pints water (add more if you prefer thinner soup)
  • 16 oz chicken broth
  • 2 cooked chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 lb frozen corn
  • 1 can Rotel Diced green chiles and tomatoes (2 if you dare)
  • 2 tbs ground cumin
  • 2 tsps chili powder
  • ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Directons:

1. Add all ingredients except cilantro to pot
  2. Simmer 20 minutes
  3. Turn off heat
  4. Add salt and pepper to taste
  5. Add cilantro (optional)
  6. Serve with tortilla chips, grated Monterey jack cheese and fresh lime wedges (optional)

Attachments

• $Santa Fe Soup.jpg
    $Santa Fe Soup.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 70

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Kit, that recipe is nice and a good pick instead of the same ole chicken noodle(not that that's bad). It looks similar to tortilla soup.

It's pretty much the same, I just simplified it by using canned components. I've had to modify it for myself because I'm on a restricted-sodium diet. I have to make my own chile powder, and make certain that everything is low-sodium. The first summer that I made it, I was pleasantly surprised to find out just how good it was served cold when I would come in for lunch after being outside at 100 degrees.

Farro-beef-mushroom soup

Not a recipe, exactly.

A friend made a huge beef prime rib roast; I snagged the bones to make beef stock. Browned in the oven bones 2 leeks, 2 carrots, 2 onions, celery. Put in stock pot; deglazed with i cup Madeira. Bay leaf. Thyme. Huge amount of water; simmered for hours.

Soaked 1/4 cup dried porcini in 1 cup hot water. Saved liquid, chopped porcini.

In big soup pot, I browned chopped onion, leek, carrot. Added porcini, chopped celery, 1 lb regular mushrooms sliced, 1/4 lb sliced chanterelles from the farmers market. 1 1/2 cups farro. Covered with beef stock and then some. (If you want a thicker soup, add 2-3 tablespoons of flour to the browning veggies.)

Simmered until farro was tender, 1 1/2 hr.

Farro resembles barley when cooked, but is really a primitive form of wheat. Nice switch from barley.

(There is also an amazing Tuscan farro salad.)

Top Bottom