What's new

Make some soup it's cold outside

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The wife made this tonight. It was very good. tortellini florentine soup.

$image.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here's one of mine, which is almost just like the one at Carrabbas if anyone has had that. This is probably my favorite soup.

Spicy Sausage and Lentil Soup

1 large carrot
2 stalks celery
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb mild Italian sausage
8 cups chicken broth
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 cups dried lentils
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
1 bay leaf

Dice the first four ingredients and sauté them in a large pot with the oil. Sauté until tender.
Remove vegetables from the pan and add the Italian sausage, removed from the casing, to the pan. Brown then drain off fat.
Pour in the chicken broth; put the vegetables back into the pot.
Add tomatoes and lentils.
Add remaining ingredients.
Simmer until the lentils are tender, 30-45 minutes.
Remove 1/3 of the soup and puree, then return it to the pot (or just use an immersion blender on some of it).
Adjust the seasonings and remove bay leaf.
Bookmarked- I love Carrabbas lentil soup.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Using up the rest of my bone broth, I've got 1.5lbs of ribs simmering away with onions, lots of garlic and a lump of ginger. I'm going to cook until all of the meat falls from the bones, then take them out and add in some veggies :001_smile I've been reading about the health benefits of bone broths and it's a good excuse to keep making soups like this
Besides being homemade (thus not a bunch of preservatives) what is the health benefit? I need a good excuse to make some

Besides being homemade (thus not a bunch of preservatives) what is the health benefit? I need a good excuse to make some

The health benefit is ' no preservatives' or at least you know what goes in.
Haven't you ever had a soup and said, this would be better with xxxx in it.
When making your own, add what and in what proportion you want.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

That's exactly right. I like soups a lot but I don't buy them because of the high levels of salt and other added things. I just don't get why the soup companies think they know the exact level of salt that's just right for me or anyone else. I received no phone call from their market dept. Even the reduced sodium soups, which are to hard find because everyone's buying them, is still too much.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

That's exactly right. I like soups a lot but I don't buy them because of the high levels of salt and other added things. I just don't get why the soup companies think they know the exact level of salt that's just right for me or anyone else. I received no phone call from their market dept. Even the reduced sodium soups, which are to hard find because everyone's buying them, is still too much.

Thanks. I have found most canned soups are far too salty for my taste- even the reduced sodium stuff. I am a black pepper guy and hardly use salt.

Have made this a few times and always a hit; requested that I bring this to our Christmas Eve soup dinner.

1 - 16oz bag frozen peas
1 - 14.5 oz can reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 - tsp white pepper
1/2 - tsp black pepper
2 - table spoons butter
salt to taste

Microwave peas, broth, peppers until hot
Put in blender or use immersion blender, add butter, blend to desired consistency
Salt to taste and serve

Last edited:
The wife made this tonight. It was very good. tortellini florentine soup.

View attachment 530882

Oh maaaaaan does that look good!!!

Even the reduced sodium soups, which are to hard find because everyone's buying them, is still too much.

Thanks. I have found most canned soups are far too salty for my taste- even the reduced sodium stuff. I am a black pepper guy and hardly use salt.

+1

This is one of the main reasons I have started to make my own soups. The canned stuff is just too salty, "reduced sodium" is still a joke from a healthy salt content standpoint.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Oh maaaaaan does that look good!!!

+1

This is one of the main reasons I have started to make my own soups. The canned stuff is just too salty, "reduced sodium" is still a joke from a healthy salt content standpoint.

Whats even tougher to find is no sodium added to chicken, vegetable or beef broths.

Anyone have a split pea recipe?

We made split pea soup after a boiled dinner. I take the broth from the boiled dinner and pressure cook the peas /broth until soft, then take the excess pieces of the carrots, potatoes and cabbage, and diced them up along with pieces left over from the ham, and let it simmer for a while. All the flavor you can handle. And no waste, great second meal for the cost of a bag of peas.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Spicy pumpkin soup.
Brown Onion, add garlic. Then add potato and pumpkin and fry for a few minutes. Add ground coriander and chilli. fry about a minute till fragrant.
Add chicken stock. Simmer till potato and pumpkin are soft. Blend, return to heat add cream and heat through. Adjust seasoning.

I used just coriander but you can also add cumin or both. Substitute with curry powder is also nice.
Use what ever chili flakes you have, I used dried scotch bonnet as they were on hand.

$20150719_113656.jpg

$20150719_123203.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks. I don't mind it being cold, as it means you can get into some great winter food.
The chilli is a excellent addition. I used just enough to give it a lift with a nice gentle heat.

Here's one I've made a few times and turned out great:
http://gameandgarden.com/cooking/vegetables/lentil-soup/

Ingredients:

• 3 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 pound venison stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 pound not nitrate link sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
  • 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
  • 3 carrots, roughly chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 pound of lintels
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 cups beef broth

Preparation:

1. Heat butter in a large stockpot. Brown venison and sausage in batches and remove from the pot.
2. Sauté onion, carrots, and bell pepper in the pan for about 4-5 minutes then add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
3. Add thyme, salt, pepper, cumin, lintels, water, and beef broth. Add the venison and sausage back to the pot. Bring mixture to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat to low. Cook for 1 hour or until lintels are cooked through. If soup becomes too dry add a little extra water during the cooking process. Serve with your favorite crusty bread. Enjoy and Happy Cooking!

proxy.php

Top Bottom