What's new

Make some soup it's cold outside

Not a recipe but just some friendly advice.

Please everyone if at all possible when making soup (or anything else for that matter) that requires broth MAKE IT YOURSELF!!! Forgo those packaged broths. There really isn't any comparison.

That is all carry on.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Every so often I whip up some soup, usually if I know I'll have company. If they're vegetarian I'll make some Chunky Lentil and Vegetable soup (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/01/chunky-lentil-vegetable-soup/). If you want some meat, why not have some chili? This stuff is delicious: Chorizo Sweet Potato Chili (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/10/chorizo-sweet-potato-chili/)

Both recipes are under $10. Enjoy~

Wow, both of those look amazing. Thanks for the links. I have everything, ingredients wise, to complete the veggie soup. Copied, saved and printed.

Last edited:
​I love soup.......Or I should say, we love soup. My wife makes soup for my take to work lunch box, at least three time per week, and it is all ways interesting and delicious.

Agree, it is soup season and I need to make some soon, but first I have to make turkey stock in preparation for Thanksgiving. The great thing about soup is you can throw anything in there and it always hits the spot, I rarely follow a recipe, so I'm afraid I don't have any to share.

I whipped up a pot of Minestrone for the wife and I this week for our lunches. I don't have much of a recipe as I tend to cook off the hip, but I did try some new things:

- used both white and red kidney beans
- on top of the regular dried basil and oregano, I added to bay leaves, and a healthy pinch of dried rosemary and thyme - subtle but pleasant change to the flavour profile
- added some crushed tomato - I won't be doing this again as I found it made it too thick of a soup. I will be sticking to diced tomatoes.

Made soup for my crew at work tonight as a matter of fact. This is a great recipe I got years ago in an old Italian cookbook. It's pretty forgiving, so feel free to estimate the amounts. I never measure or weigh anything in this. Here goes:

Tuscan Bean Soup

2 Leeks, roughly chopped
1 Onion, roughly chopped
2-3 med potatoes, peeled & diced
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5 cups vegetable stock
6oz savoy cabbage, shredded
14oz can cannellini beans, drained, reserve liquid (or whatever beans you prefer)
3 Tbsp chopped parsley (flat leaf)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
3 oz parmigiana cheese, shaved
s&p
olive oil

Coat bottom of a large pot with olive oil and put on med-low heat. Add potatoes, leeks, garlic and onions. Cook gently 4-5 minutes until soft.
Add stock and reserved bean liquid, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Stir in cabbage and beans with half the herbs. Season with salt & pepper and cook another 10 minutes.
Spoon about one third of soup into a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Return to soup, re-season if needed and heat through for 5 minutes.
Serve with shaved parmigiana and sprinkle of herbs in each bowl.

That's the recipe as I got it, but here are a few changes I made tonight: Added 8oz sliced mushrooms and 1 tsp hot pepper flakes with the onions, leeks, etc. Had fresh thyme on hand, so used that in lieu of parsley. Browned about one pound of parsley & cheese sausage in a cast iron skillet, sliced it up after it cooled down and added it right after pureeing soup. Served it with some garlic toast (sliced up a baguette, drizzled with olive oil and toasted both sides under the broiler, rubbed raw garlic all over the hot toasts and sprinkled with a little parmigiana cheese)

It was devoured! and I already have requests to make it again. Enjoy!

I made some curried carrot and ginger soup not long ago. It's about as simple as you'd imagine - onions, carrots, garlic, a lump of ginger, some chicken stock and a decent amount of coriander power and garam masala. I just picked up some leeks for leek and potato soup :001_smile

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I made some curried carrot and ginger soup not long ago. It's about as simple as you'd imagine - onions, carrots, garlic, a lump of ginger, some chicken stock and a decent amount of coriander power and garam masala. I just picked up some leeks for leek and potato soup :001_smile

Ah...the leek and potato soup. Can't beat that to ward off the shivers.

I usually make at least one or two gallons of soup at a time and freeze portioned leftovers for later. Our typical soup rotation includes:

Mushroom Barley
Lentil and Beef
Pasta Fagioli
Italian Wedding
Matzo Ball
Spicy Tomato
Chicken Noodle
Minestrone

Nothing too exotic I must admit, but unfortunately, my family doesn't have a very adventurous culinary palette.

Made soup for my crew at work tonight as a matter of fact. This is a great recipe I got years ago in an old Italian cookbook. It's pretty forgiving, so feel free to estimate the amounts. I never measure or weigh anything in this. Here goes:

Tuscan Bean Soup

It was devoured! and I already have requests to make it again. Enjoy!

Thanks, Tony. This sounded great after my exhausting week in Las Vegas. I modified it a bit by making a quick chicken stock with a whole bird in the pressure cooker and using that instead of the veggie stock. I also chopped and added some chicken breast at the end of cooking but just before blending and seasoning. Thanks again for posting!

$image.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Every so often I whip up some soup, usually if I know I'll have company. If they're vegetarian I'll make some Chunky Lentil and Vegetable soup (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/01/chunky-lentil-vegetable-soup/). If you want some meat, why not have some chili? This stuff is delicious: Chorizo Sweet Potato Chili (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/10/chorizo-sweet-potato-chili/)

Both recipes are under $10. Enjoy~

i made the lentil veggie soup. I had all of the ingredients except the black lentils. I had red lentils. Very tasty and hardy. I added some grilled chicken.

$image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom