What's new

Supermax Super Platinum in two razors

Can't help trying out new blades.

Yesterday I used a Supermax Super Platinum for the first time in a Slim Adj. Coming a day after I used an Astra on its third shave and got a beautiful 2 pass plus touchup shave that was efficient and smooth, the Supermax was a bit of a letdown. It was ok and fairly smooth, but a bit rougher and not as efficient or sharp. 3 pass DFS.
Reminded me a bit of a Derby, but better. Today however, I put it in a Fatboy and the shave was much nicer. Don't know if it was the improvement that some blades show on the second day, but it was much smoother. Still doesn't have that perfect glide of the Gillette Silver Blue, nor was it as sharp as the Rapira Swedish, but it did the job well and didn't nick me. In fact, I was moved to try and get a full BBS today and went over some areas multiple times. No nicks or cuts. At most the smallest bit of burn in one area on the chin after the AS splash. Perhaps the Fatboy worked better with its greater weight or my prep was somehow better or who knows. At any rate a decent blade now, although still not as good a buy for me as the Astra SP.

Will have to try another a bit later to see about blade to blade differences. But it is nice to get good results with so many different blades.

After settling on 5 razors to try blades out (using Astra SP's as the control blade), my first shave was yesterday was with the Super Max Pt.

My thoughts? Didn't give me a close shave as an Astra. I still have 4 more razors to go before this blade trial is over, but so far is not in the keeper category. It is definitely smooth, but I had a bluebeard at the end of the workday, which I haven't had since using the Astras. I'm guessing is not as sharp as the Astras.

Had my third shave with the Super Plat today. Started out ok but felt rough on the touchups and got a nick -- which I basically never get anymore. Roughness continued and I dumped it. So for me, not a keeper, especially at prices higher than Astras and Lab Blues. And I still have hundreds of Rapiras and GSBs.

Today was #2 with SuperMax, and was a much better experience. I used a LC 7'clock Razor and it was both smooth and effective. Much better than #1 with the Sheraton. Faceterbation factor much better this go-around.

I find the supermax platinums to be excellent in my futur razor but not quite so good in my fatboy. Same with the shark blades. The fatboy seems to do best for me with lab blues.

Think the razor characteristics do indeed affect different blades differently, hardly confusing at all ! :)

Cheers, Paul

Top Bottom