What's new

Quit the Canned Cranberry Sauce for Good! 20 Homemade Recipes

I use a hybrid of Aaron McCargo Jr and Tyler Florence, but basically a bag of berries with sugar, orange peel, diced golden delicious or honey crisp apple and a cinnamon stick. No booze. Simmer til they burst. Awesome.

And yes, it's so easy, I don't why people went for the cranberry die cast tube. Up there with buying margarita mix instead of squeezing likes and making simple sugar. Easy, tastes better.

Forgot about yams and marshmallows! Don't forget the sweet-ba-day-das!

The secret to up your game and get it appreciated is to simply add the new item side by side with the traditional one. I did this a few years ago with turnips. Tiny cubes steamed with herbs vs a boiled mess ... guess which ones are requested now?

The secret to up your game and get it appreciated is to simply add the new item side by side with the traditional one.
I've tried this with my cranberry sauce recipe. Some family members, on thanksgiving, still refuse to eat it and will only eat the canned. I don't bring canned to go along with mine, but someone else always brings it.

I've tried this with my cranberry sauce recipe. Some family members, on thanksgiving, still refuse to eat it and will only eat the canned. I don't bring canned to go along with mine, but someone else always brings it.

This year, use an old crushed tomatos can, and put your cranberry sauce in it, leave in the fridge overnight and voila, pour and serve from the can the next day :p

Made mine so I thought, I'd share the recipe. I forgot one little step before.

Cabernet Cranberries
1 Pkg Cranberries (12oz)
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup red wine (I use cabernet sauvignon)
1/3 cup orange juice (I use fresh squeezed, and I don't mind if I get a bunch of pulp in)
orange zest (since I am getting an orange for zest, that's why I use fresh squeezed juice) - I don't really measure, but 2 tsp if you must)
1 cinnamon stick.

Place everything in a stock pot, except the cranberries, and bring to boil. Add cranberries and return to boil. Then reduce heat to low boil for about 10 minutes. Cook until all cranberries have popped and reduced (I wait until it has thickened considerably). Allow to cool completely. Remove orange zest if desired (I put in one whole piece that I cut with a veggie peeler, so it's easy to remove. But if you grate or chop zest you can leave it in, and have a more orangey flavor, either way is good.

I swear, once you make cranberries with wine, you'll never make it another way again. The flavors go together so well.

Late to the thread but I will share mine. Very simple and does have the wine. Port, particularly. Just get a cheap bottle of chewy, raisin-y ruby port. This works as good cooking wine in many a dish. 1 bag of cranberries, 1/2 cup or so of the port, 1/2 cup of good orange juice, 1/2-3/4 cup sugar depending upon taste(I like mine with less sugar), and either the cinnamon stick or a half teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Mix all ingredients except the cranberries and bring to the boil in a medium saucepan. Chuck in the cranberries and give them one quick stir. Get them good and hot and when you see bubbles forming, turn the heat down to medium-ish and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Don't overheat the mix and burn it. Don't leave it unattended either. If it starts foaming up too much remove it from the heat and let it settle down. Reduce heat slightly and return to the hob. It really is easy so don't worry about mussing it up. After it starts to thicken a bit I like to pour it into a glass serving bowl that will show off its colours. After it sets for three or four minutes apply a film of plastic food wrap over the hot mixture to keep it from forming a skin. Tradition calls for this to be served cold on turkey but I like it warm and fresh as well. Mind, not hot but warm. It is great on most any fowl but I like it on ham too!

One thing I cannot stress enough. Do NOT stir the mixture once it starts getting heated up. Just don't. If you keep stirring it you will have cranberry sauce sauce. Not a sauce with cranberries in it. It will turn to a compote rather than having some full berries left. There is no 'correct' way to do it. Just my preference. But trust me on this. People who have never had good cranberry sauce will appreciate the berries being intact. Just shuffle the pan a bit like you are moving fried eggs around in a skillet.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It may be late, but one pound of whole cranberries in about 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil, then simmer until all have broken open and thickened. Take off burner and allow to cool. Add in 3 mandarin oranges sliced up and add in chopped up walnuts (eyeball it). ,

This past Thanksgiving me and my wife stepped even further away from the "pre-made" food and more towards the homemade. Sure it takes longer but the end result is much more rewarding. We did homemade rotisserie ham, buttermilk cornbread dressing, mac and cheese, and much more.... so doing a homemade cranberry sauce is definitely doable. Although I do admit a guilty pleasure of the can stuff. I think I'll have to check out some recipes for this upcoming Christmas dinner.

Top Bottom