What's new

Quit the Canned Cranberry Sauce for Good! 20 Homemade Recipes

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
With Thanksgiving just around the corner, here are 20 easy recieps to put the canned version (come on...'fess-up'...
I've used canned too), to shame. :thumbsup:

proxy.php

Cranberry Sauce w/ Apples & Port! This rich and raisin-y Port wine elevates traditional cranberry sauce to new heights.

Read More: http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/recipes/quit-the-canned-cranberry-sauce-for-good-20-homemade-recipes/ss-BBaBuqm#image=1

Video Here: http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/lifestyle/classic-cranberry-sauce/vi-BBaYRHz

attachment.php
"It has been an unchallengeable doctrine that cranberry sauce...is [a] delectable necessity of the Thanksgiving board and that turkey is uneatable without it". Alistair Cooke

Last edited:
LOL I would but our family been using the one out of the can by Ocean Spray for over 30 years. Now we do make homemade when we host but we get funny looks even though they say ours taste better.
We dump 2 cans of whole cranberries in the juice in a saucepan, We add 2 slices of orange and blend in a 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar. We stir it well till it nice hot and bubbling. Then we let it cool to just warm and serve it warm.

There's something about a canned shaped tube of cranberry sauce sitting on a plate. It's cheezy and nostalgic. Kind of like the christmas sweater of Thanksgiving.

No canned cranberry sauce? No green bean casserole in cream of mushroom soup? No canned yams with marshmallows on top?

praise be to God! :thumbup1:

Without (the delicious and traditional) canned cranberry sauce, how do I make my 'day after Thanksgiving' turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce sandwich???? (With the perfect circular slice of cranberry sauce :))

I make cranberry sauce according to the package directions, except I substitute half the water for red wine. I also add a couple cinnamon sticks and some orange peel zest to it while it cooks. The red wine compliments the cranberries so well, it's heavenly.

I make cranberry sauce according to the package directions, except I substitute half the water for red wine. I also add a couple cinnamon sticks and some orange peel zest to it while it cooks. The red wine compliments the cranberries so well, it's heavenly.
WOW that sounds good. I'm salivating just reading about it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Going against tradition can spell doom for those who are not an informed family member. My wife brought wonderfully made "To Order" bread rolls to Thanksgiving one year on my dad's side of the family. The rolls had smoked cheese, sun dried tomatoes, and rosemary on the inside. They were heaven. She should have brought this...because, after all, it is tradition for crying out loud:
$stroehmann_brownnservedinnerrolls_view.png

She was placed in the stocks before being ostracized.

Last edited:
We are going to try the red wine idea, sounds very good.

Going against tradition can spell doom for those who are not an informed family member. My wife brought wonderfully made "To Order" bread rolls to Thanksgiving one year on my dad's side of the family. The rolls had smoked cheese, sun dried tomatoes, and rosemary on the inside. They were heaven. She should have brought this...because, after all, it is tradition for crying out loud:
View attachment 518538

She was placed in the stocks before being ostracized.

LOL............so true, so sad........

I like the sound it makes when it comes out of the can.

My mother always makes my grandmother's homemade cranberry sauce recipe, but I insist on having a small can. She thinks I'm crazy. It's a guilty pleasure.

Last edited:
The canned stuff can be brought up to the next level. Mix it with really, really good English orange marmalade. Two parts cranberry sauce to one part marmalade. Yum.

Think I'm gunna have to try it this year . Looks great maybe the kids will even give it go , they never liked the can stuff

Top Bottom