What's new

New Boots Now Required. Suggestions Guys?

Ok guys, only my 2nd foray into The Haberdashery thus far but this time it's about boots.

Normally I wear military boots by choice. They're hard wearing, last a long time if taken care of, generally waterproof and stay that way unlike goretex, are very repairable if something goes on them etc...

I've been wearing the same boots everyday since I turned 17 (almost 22 now) and love them however they've now died a slow death. The lining inside them is gone and the stitching has split. They're made by a company called Northwest and the laughably small Irish Army uses them. The old boots from the 80's were awesome but too expensive. I know people who still regularly wear and maintain the 80's Irish Army boots because they are so good but they're more rare nowadays than an uncracked ball end Gillette Tech.

Any suggestions for boots that would last at least 10 years of almost daily use would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a size 7 UK, 41 EU or 8 US.

Last season I bought a pair of Alden Indy boots. They will likely last forever as I rarely wear them. Way to heavy and clunky for my liking. If I were you. I would like at some British boots such as Loake.

There are so many choices out there. First you have to decide what yo want....something more dressy (Viberg, Alden, Tricker) or something more like a work boot (Whites, Wolverine, Red Wing) .
I prefer more of the work boot type and chose Whites Boots. They are out of Spokane WA and have a lifetime warranty. The company is over 90 years old and cater to the Forestry and Firefighting industry. I've got 4 pair and love them. Just took delivery of these yesterday.

There are so many choices out there. First you have to decide what yo want....something more dressy (Viberg, Alden, Tricker) or something more like a work boot (Whites, Wolverine, Red Wing) .
I prefer more of the work boot type and chose Whites Boots. They are out of Spokane WA and have a lifetime warranty. The company is over 90 years old and cater to the Forestry and Firefighting industry. I've got 4 pair and love them. Just took delivery of these yesterday.

Very nice! Which model are these?

I have several pairs of boots from Wolverine 1k, Quoddy, Eastland, Red Wing, and Cole Haan. The pair that feel like they'll last the longest (and incidentally are the most comfortable) are the Red Wings.

There's a lot of good suggestions here but you guys are right about me leaving out a couple of things.

$150 which is €120 is my absolute limit, I wouldn't go any higher.
I don't really care too much about whatever style they are as long as they're at least 95% black in color and rugged above all else.
I also don't care about the weight because I like a really heavy boot or a light boot, I'm ok either way.

Since Whites Boots have a lifetime warranty as Ce_mi says I went to there website first but I'm still open to more suggestions.

Whites boots look good but they've got 101 different trade names for stuff like Vibram and Hilltex which are just confusing.

If it help, pictures me as a 60 year old man who just wants a good pair of long lasting boots because the pair I got on my 50th birthday are destroyed as well as discontinued.

A 50 year old man that likes My Little Pony? :p

I don't know about the longevity, but you might want to look at Clarks. Not sure if they are sold in Ireland. I've been wearing my current pair close to every day for the past 2 years. I don't think they will last 10 years though.

I'm not sure what else I can recommend in your price range. I just got a nice bump in salary, so my next pair of boots will likely be a pair on Alden Indys. I'm a manager in a manufacturing (printing) facility, so I prefer to wear boots, but don't actually need a hardcore work boot since I am inside all day.

Whites boots look good but they've got 101 different trade names for stuff like Vibram and Hilltex which are just confusing.

If it help, pictures me as a 60 year old man who just wants a good pair of long lasting boots because the pair I got on my 50th birthday are destroyed as well as discontinued.

Whites boots are just Whites boots, Vibram , Quohong etc... are styles of soles, heels things like that. It can get confusing , I agree.

Check out their Ebay page , which usually has some discounts and the boots are all built so you don't have to pick options.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/whitesriver?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

You can look at Danner , Bates , Georgia, Chippewa and others in that tier but I just don't think they will last as long as Whites, Wolverine 1000 mile, Alden and others at that tier.

Here is a good place to research boots, and I've purchased two MTO pair of White's through them and they've resoled my other two pair. Great to deal with as well. http://www.bakershoe.com/search/apachesolr_search/?filters=tid%3A%221716%22

Wow. Those White boots are amazing. They look cool and must be built like a tank.

I live on the east coast and I never heard of that company. I'll have to check them out.

I actually was having a look around on their website a little while ago and I'm considering these but i don't think they'd last 10 years though.
http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-mens-boots/rocky-mens-zipper-paraboot-duty-boot/FQ0002090ME_080.html
Slightly out of budget at €137 including shipping but they look promising.

Wow. Those White boots are amazing. They look cool and must be built like a tank.

I live on the east coast and I never heard of that company. I'll have to check them out.

At least something else good came from me starting this tread :lol:

Also i checked you whites on that ebay link but as shipping on everything to Ireland is somehow almost $200 I'm going to have to give it a miss.

Last edited:
If you want a boot that will last a decade you will probably have to look at something that needs re-soled. Being from Canada I would look at Red Wing boots (heritage line) or Allen Edmonds. From the UK I would have to check to see if the service is available and how much it costs. The only company I know of over there that offers re-soling is William Lennon boots. They are also in your budget. Triple leather sole or lug Vibram sole should last for ages before needing re-soled. Being they are all made in house you can make any request. If you do a little internet searching you can find people that have had them made up will full leather lining, an inch taller than what they regularly offer, in different colours, taller, different toe caps. Drop them a line and see what they can do up for you. Here is their web page.
http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear/78tc-traditional-work-boot.html
Hope that helps.
Johnny

Johhny above mentions Willian Lennon and has beaten me to it. I have a couple of pairs, one the traditional work boot and another pair of Old British army style Ammo Boots which aren't on the web site. They are so well made they are going to see me out and keep my son going too when I don't need them any more!

Might be a bit higher than your basic budget but well worth the extra. Also they won't attract the attention of the Irish version of our Revenue mens as they are from the EC, unlike most of the other great suggestions. THose American boots are great but the taxes importing them are prohibitive. I also have a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers I bought almost new on the bay and they are rather good too but far dearer new than the Lennons.

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/categories/town-country.html

As they are a small company that makes boots to order, they are open to customising with different colours, leathers etc.

Gareth

Top Bottom