What's new

New Boots Now Required. Suggestions Guys?

Hmm, $150 seems like a bit of a no man's land for quality boots. Might want to consider saving up for a bit as the jump in quality is significant at the $250-$350 range. Or keep a keen eye out for sales. As I'm sure you know you UK guys are spoiled for choice when it comes to great online menswear shops, so get on some mailing lists for sale alerts. Check out Reddit and Styleforum as well, tons of good info.

The best boots I can think of near your price range are The LL Bean Katahdin Iron Works boots at $220.

After a look at the other links you guys have provided and on the advice of MuffinMan I honestly would like to save up for better ones but unfortunately i need them right now so I'll have to make a choice at the lower ranges.

I'm loving these Rocky boots I linked earlier
$FQ0002090_EXTRALARGE.jpg

They look a good boot. I'm trying to contest the employment contract I signed which the job didn't want to renew but they still want to deduct €173 ($200ish) from my final wages, if i win that and my wages don't end up getting deducted then the new boots are likely going to end up on my very early christmas list.

Holy smokes those Whites are expensive! But I found some Rockys I liked because of this forum. :thumbup:

Same ones as the ones I'm looking at are they? The link is somewhere in one or 2 of my posts in this thread.

As for my wages getting ducted by the job, I've been to see a solicitor/lawyer/barrister and he reckons I have a every right to my wages without any deductions to them. If it goes though and my final wages don't get deducted, those Rocky boots will be on my feet post haste.

http://jbgoodhue.com

I've been wearing a pair of J.B. Goodhue 5 Star Generals for more than 15 years. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever had, moreso than the two pairs of expensive handmade custom fitted boots I had previously. They are virtually indestructible and I love the look of them. The design has changed but all my relations in Canada wear them and that is why I got a pair. Because they are designed for heavy work, the have a steel lined sole and steel toe-caps. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415979976.838161.jpg

http://jbgoodhue.com

I've been wearing a pair of J.B. Goodhue 5 Star Generals for more than 15 years. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever had, moreso than the two pairs of expensive handmade custom fitted boots I had previously. They are virtually indestructible and I love the look of them. The design has changed but all my relations in Canada wear them and that is why I got a pair. Because they are designed for heavy work, the have a steel lined sole and steel toe-caps. View attachment 518795

Wow those are verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice. You have a terrible habit of helping me out Mr.GordyN but that's not a complaint.
I love how they are just solid leather boots. No fancy smancy technologies that cost more but aren't always needed.

Honestly though, I don't like the color. Brown leather has been used for centuries in all manner of things but black leather is always gonna be my style. I'll check out that link and if they make a black leather version but a possible 15 year boot then they have a new customer. Hopefully they don't have outlandish prices.

Allas they are cost prohibitive. The exchange rate puts them at €184 even before shipping and nor do they come in black.

The only other boot I'd consider from them is this one called Trasher
https://builtforwork.com/professional/thrasher-30705.html
But with bright colors and orange words like "Metal Free" which apparently I need to be reminded of whenever I look at them they aren't for me.

The Rocky's are still winning this race.
http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-mens-boots/rocky-mens-zipper-paraboot-duty-boot/FQ0002090ME_080.html
Images

They're just a plain black boot with no bells or whistles apart from a side zipper. No useless side lugs that would look funny if they were resoled. No fabric, just leather.

You'll never guess the direction I'm leaning in :lol:.
I'm still open to suggestions though.

Last edited:
Ak it's yourself! Hadn't noticed the OP. The Rocky's are a good looking boot, as are the Whites. Have to get a lighter pair for next spring so I know where to look now.
You're all a bunch of enablers! If it's not soap or brushes, it's boots!

I like black boots, just wore them for more years than I care to mention. My uncle is wearing a pair of their black boots at the minute, must ask him what they are. I'm just from the "black is formal, brown is not" school of hard knocks. I must admit, I wear hiking boots around the house, general running around, but the generals are as essential to me as a fishing rod and a knife.

Oh and the soles, like all good boots, are Vibram and completely replaceable. I'm still on my first sole as they don't see much hard ground!

Oh and the soles, like all good boots, are Vibram and completely replaceable. I'm still on my first sole as they don't see much hard ground!

See that's what catches me out. I hate trade names, they just confuse me because I don't really get suckered in by how cool or technologically advanced they sound like vibram sounds like some silly anti vibration rubber stuff to me even though apparently they have something to do with being very hard wearing so you can probably see where I'm coming from.

Vibram is just a brand that manufactures rubber lug soles. IIRC, they are one of the first companies to manufacture rubber lug soles. Its not really technology, other than the fact that its a rubber sole, and not a leather sole.

Its actually an Italian company, and named after its founder Vitale Bramani according to wikipedia.

See that's what catches me out. I hate trade names, they just confuse me because I don't really get suckered in by how cool or technologically advanced they sound like vibram sounds like some silly anti vibration rubber stuff to me even though apparently they have something to do with being very hard wearing so you can probably see where I'm coming from.

Oh I'm with you there! Too much confusion but I just use the "basic language" of stating what's written on it, and leave the thoughts up to themselves. I don't do what I call "sales gumph". I find out whatever I can about whatever it is and make my mind up from there. A recommendation from a peer is by far the best advertising method for me. It has certainly worked on here for me!

Vibram is just a brand that manufactures rubber lug soles. IIRC, they are one of the first companies to manufacture rubber lug soles. Its not really technology, other than the fact that its a rubber sole, and not a leather sole.

Its actually an Italian company, and named after its founder Vitale Bramani according to wikipedia.

Good to know, I wish they would just call them something simple like "Vibram rubber lug soles" rather than relying on a trade name but I guess it's just the world we live in.

Oh I'm with you there! Too much confusion but I just use the "basic language" of stating what's written on it, and leave the thoughts up to themselves. I don't do what I call "sales gumph". I find out whatever I can about whatever it is and make my mind up from there. A recommendation from a peer is by far the best advertising method for me. It has certainly worked on here for me!

Word of mouth will never be replaced as an advertising method even if it isn't direct advertizing it still does the job and I usually would be on that wavelength as well. My problem with word of mouth is that I tend to prefer to rely on it from the older generations who can actually attest to a product's reliability but unfortunately I then search for whatever that was to find it's now discontinued :mad3:.
Always a shame though.

I've been wearing a pair of J.B. Goodhue 5 Star Generals for more than 15 years...

Those are nice looking boots. What is the dealyo with that lower D ring on the side? The website calls it a Double rivet D-ring lacing system (I think that is referring to that ring) but how would it work? Just to secure the laces if you only lace them halfway up?

Those are nice looking boots. What is the dealyo with that lower D ring on the side? The website calls it a Double rivet D-ring lacing system (I think that is referring to that ring) but how would it work? Just to secure the laces if you only lace them halfway up?

It is to help if you have a narrower heel. If you use those rings it will pull the boot heel up more and help keep your foot from sliding in it when you walk.

I just wish i could find a work boot that works as hard as I do. Best I have ever gotten was the thorogoods I am wearing now. Almost 2 years, but it is getting time to replace them now too. Anything else, a year if I'm lucky.

It is to help if you have a narrower heel. If you use those rings it will pull the boot heel up more and help keep your foot from sliding in it when you walk.

I just wish i could find a work boot that works as hard as I do. Best I have ever gotten was the thorogoods I am wearing now. Almost 2 years, but it is getting time to replace them now too. Anything else, a year if I'm lucky.

From the stuff you do, I wouldn't be surprised if most pairs of boots would last 6 months. I think I should look into those thorogoods :001_smile

thorogoods.

I gotta say if I'm honest, I hate the look of them. The sole reminds me of the trainers you'd see on punk kids hanging around street corners with their hoods up.

I'm sure they look good on you though :thumbup:.

If you mean the flat soled ones, I ALWAYS wore them when I was hanging iron. You don't want to be in the air on a narrow I-beam and have your heel drop off the side of it. Really messes with your balance.

Top Bottom