What's new

Apache Sunset is out.

Soooo it came from a memo on high that only blue or black ink can be used on FAA documents or it will be an audit
finding:glare:

A little background and a question. I'm a little different, I'm a bird of a different feather, I march to the beat of my own drum, if the crowd goes right I'll be blazing a trail to the left. You get the picture. I wear Round House overalls and I carry a hanky that matches my shirt and I wear black wingtip, or oxblood docs and was elated with Apache Sunset.

So so here's my question. What blue or black ink is out there that is still blue or black but it's still different? J. Herbin Stormy Grey comes to mind but it's hard to score and I'm sure there are others out there that I don't know about. So let's here it nibsters!

Thanks in advance!

proxy.php

Baystate Blue comes to mind (I have heard that it stains easily, so I would only use it in a relatively cheap and/or opaque pen), or Private Reserve's DC Electric Blue. Bluish purple inks, such as Diamine's Bilberry or Private Reserve's Black Magic Blue, may be options if you want to push the envelope.

Yet other options would include blue-black inks.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I'm making a list of samples to order!

As many people have and will say, be careful with Baystate Blue. Don't mix it with any other inks. At the suggestion of many here as well as in reviews, I bought a pen specifically for the ink and will never put any other ink in it except maybe another Baystate color. It's finicky and does stain, but it's a beautiful blue color that, to me at least, is worth dedicating a pen to.

Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo (moonlight) is my day-to-day ink. Deep blue with whiffs of teal, but still blue enough for business purposes. Beautiful ink. Some others from that line might fit your bill as well.

Hmm. And I assume that without the Apache Sunset there would have been no memo. ;)

I'm in a different situation from the OP. Nobody where I work cares about the browns, purples, and greens that I use regularly. Still, if it did become an issue, I'd reflect that, after all, almost all of my writing is at home, and it wouldn't kill me to load one pen with Pilot Blue-Black for work. It's a sober "professional" color, but I like it.

Or I could use Iroshizuku Asa-Gao, a really beautiful blue. But if someone touched a document with a wet hand, it could smear. And then there would be another memo. BSB doesn't appeal to me, but it is bulletproof.

Diamine Eclipse is a purple that is mostly black
Diamine Green Black pushes the 'almost green' edge a little, but is worth a try.

There are a few blue-black samples I bought from Goulet Pens that are also really interesting. I can't think of them right now, but I found them by browsing the list and ordering what looked good so you should be able to find them pretty quickly.

I have to use black only, so your options are a little more open

I agree with Baystate Blue, but for the love of God and all that is holy, DO NOT use it in a really good pen. It will stain everything. It really is a great electric blue though.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There are a few Noodler's inks that are basically black, but with a tiny tinge of green. You hardly notice, of course, but ... you know it's there. I'm thinking of such as:

5 O'clock Shadow
Zhivago
El Lawrence
Air Corps Blue-Black

I particularly like the Air Corps B-B as ... if someone calls you on it ... you show them the bottle: it says "blue-black" and then you say "it must be the lighting or your eyes or something".

Top Bottom