What's new

An old man responds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here on the Fragrance forum and on the Aftershave forum, there are a bunch of posts asking for scent recommendations that don't "smell like an old man."

As a nicely curmudgeonly old guy, 68 years old in fact, I find this offensive. I know what people mean, but still, think about it. I can't help being old. Imagine if you replaced "old man" with any ethnic group you can think of. Instantly erased by the moderators, I would guess.

I made an unwise comment when I was a little angry, saying that I think many of the most popular AS brands are disgusting; I think I called them "drug store" or "Walmart" aromas. My comment was rightly deleted; I have no right to post anything derogatory to an entire class. The same should apply to "old man" references.

And while I'm at it, gents, what's with the nervousness about "girlie" smells? Be confident in whatever you wear. After all, we are talking about perfume here, worn for centuries by men and women. My favorite scent in the world is Jicky, by Guerlain. Sean Connery loves it. So did Audrey Hepburn. Does this somehow make me less masculine?

As a fellow senior citizen, I'm proud of my "seasoning!" Who would want to be unseasoned? [emoji41] And face it: traditional shaving honors the "old way" and that includes manly fragrances, many of them from "back in the day."

Hoo-rah! I'm a 57 year old guy. If "old Guy" smells like Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Bay Rum and the like then I am all in. If the "youngsters" are referring to what a nursing home may smell like then I'm out on those scents!

How about this for moving the discussion forward without derogatory age or class judgements... Instead of "old guy", use "old school" or "old timey".

Hoo-rah! I'm a 57 year old guy. If "old Guy" smells like Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Bay Rum and the like then I am all in. If the "youngsters" are referring to what a nursing home may smell like then I'm out on those scents!

How about this for moving the discussion forward without derogatory age or class judgements... Instead of "old guy", use "old school" or "old timey".
How about "wise" or "experienced" ??

Here on the Fragrance forum and on the Aftershave forum, there are a bunch of posts asking for scent recommendations that don't "smell like an old man."

As a nicely curmudgeonly old guy, 68 years old in fact, I find this offensive. I know what people mean, but still, think about it. I can't help being old. Imagine if you replaced "old man" with any ethnic group you can think of. Instantly erased by the moderators, I would guess.

I made an unwise comment when I was a little angry, saying that I think many of the most popular AS brands are disgusting; I think I called them "drug store" or "Walmart" aromas. My comment was rightly deleted; I have no right to post anything derogatory to an entire class. The same should apply to "old man" references.

And while I'm at it, gents, what's with the nervousness about "girlie" smells? Be confident in whatever you wear. After all, we are talking about perfume here, worn for centuries by men and women. My favorite scent in the world is Jicky, by Guerlain. Sean Connery loves it. So did Audrey Hepburn. Does this somehow make me less masculine?

Amen. I'm 29 and I shake my head when people refer to any fragrance as "old man" or "old lady" as if Paco Rabanne or Acqua di Gio are paramountly young...

This anxiety about smelling "girly" or not smelling "man enough" says more about the person than any cologne they wear.

My career requires a lot of diversity and EEO training. I have learned that the elderly are just as protected against discrimination as racial or religious classes. Get a thicker skin isn't an appropriate response in a public forum. Instead, the offender should be counseled to refer to scents as modern or vintage.

On a lighter note, who wants to join my class action on discrimination against baldness? Hair deficiency is about the last physical or mental problem that can still be made fun of with impunity. This could be my retirement plan.

coming from a 21 year old: When we are "Old Men" wont our aromas become old man smell?

Anyways I love old spice, aqua velva smells fresh and great!

My career requires a lot of diversity and EEO training. I have learned that the elderly are just as protected against discrimination as racial or religious classes. Get a thicker skin isn't an appropriate response in a public forum. Instead, the offender should be counseled to refer to scents as modern or vintage.

On a lighter note, who wants to join my class action on discrimination against baldness? Hair deficiency is about the last physical or mental problem that can still be made fun of with impunity. This could be my retirement plan.

Being a follicly challenged "old man" count me in.

I am almost 50, when I smell Old Spice or one of the Clubman fragrances it reminds me of my father taking me to the barbershop when I was a kid.

I find the older I get the more I am acting like even imitating my father is some mannerisms including fragrance.

In my mind if I am guilty of copycatting and smelling like an old man then I could do a whole lot worse to myself then smelling like him.

I would have thought a 68-year-old would have grown a thicker skin.

^^^ this^^^

I also find it rather ironic that the OP would be offended by the term "old man", but expects someone to blow off and "be confident" when it comes to perceived "girlie" scents.

My take?

I don't find "old man" offensive, because it's not meant to be offensive, just like "girlie", or when my dad tells me I smell like a french whore, when I see him on the occasions when he knows I just shaved and applied AS. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
When my father was a little younger he was never without a bottle of St. John's Bay Rum; I remember that distictively from my youth. My mother always loved Old Spice and I think she made sure he always had that on hand. Fast forward to my father's later years. He developed a taste for Jovan Musk and Aramis. I inherited his last two bottles and I just stare at them on the shelf once in a while. I suppose I ought to use and try to enjoy them, but I never liked Aramis enough to buy my own. He died in 1995 so the bottles are at least that old but they both smell fine.

Lastly, I'm 63 and recently developed a passion for rose and lavender. Maybe those smell "girlie" to some but I shave with and splash on both and enjoy them tremendously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom