What's new

How you save money

I was browsing some sites and I found a deal on Gillette Fusion Power carts. The deal is:

32 cartridges for €101,95,-

It is stil way expensive from Bestshave.net you'll get 100 Astra SP's for €7.32 (free shipping). For that money value I could get 1400 Astra SP blades, they would last for years!

Seriously with one Fusion cart I could only get 3 shaves before they started to become dull. With an Astra SP I get 4 shaves, while the Astra outperforms the Fusion cart.

I just wanted to post this to show the price/quality difference between DE blades and cartridges.

You can definitely save money on blades. Just don't go crazy buying every razor/brush/soap/cream/AS/pre-shave you come across or hear about.

Just don't go crazy buying every razor/brush/soap/cream/AS/pre-shave you come across or hear about.
+9999

Thats the hardest part. Everytime I see a product and read review I just want to try it. In my opinion it's not needed all I care about is a great BBS on my face, but still it's hard to resist new products :lol:

Joining the November restraint has helped me not buy more stuff this month. So this month I'm saving money. However, next month, I may be in for increased spending on shaving stuff since I've been looking at things and adding them to wish lists. Perhaps I'll just ask for some stuff for Christmas and avoid buying anything for myself :)

Self restraint is hard, but it sure makes it easy for me to occasionally splurge on a tub of soap (to myself and my wife) when I see 12 Gillette Fusion ProGlide refills for $50 at Walgreens. At one time I was drinking the Kool Aid, and stretching those blades WAY beyond their life. Now I don't feel bad to try a new cream or aftershave every now and then when I'm buying blades for pennies.

You are asking on the wrong forum. Go ask someone that lived during the depression that has probably used the same safety razor for 40+ years and has stuck with one soap and aftershave for the same period.

1 razor
1 Soap/Cream
1 Aftershave

You are asking on the wrong forum. Go ask someone that lived during the depression that has probably used the same safety razor for 40+ years and has stuck with one soap and aftershave for the same period.

1 razor
1 Soap/Cream
1 Aftershave

I would guess somebody old enough to shave during the great depression might not be online much...:001_smile

I eventually plan to save money on shaving...

I just need to 'thin the herd' as they say, and I've only been at this for about two full months!

Joining the November monthly restraint has helped. I'm thinking of taking December off and joining the quarterly restraint that starts up after Christmas.

I've only spent $10.00 in the last year on shaving related items and that was for a lot of 4 vintage razors. I have enough soaps and creams to last at least another 2 or 3 years and enough blades to last 4 or 5 years, and enough after shaves to last a life time. I went a little crazy with buying things when I first started out but then I realized that I don't need to buy every popular new soap that comes along to enjoy really great shaves.

The savings on daily "consumables" are definitely possible but all that "saved" money gets sucked into the AD vortex. There are traps everywhere! I was feeling good about picking up a couple of News for a song but just spent 50 bucks getting cleaner and polisher shipped out to me so I can make them pretty. :w00t:

Spatial limitations in our Master Bedroom Bathroom (9' deep x 4.25' wide) won't allow for me to have a super elaborate shave den. Mine is limited largely to a homemade rack sitting on top of the toilet tank. Currently, I have 5 razors, 4 tins of soap, and one tin of cream, 3 brushes, 100 Ladas blades, and 4 after shaves. However, SWMBO said either Santa Claus, the Birthday Day Bunny (31 Dec) or our 3 dogs might give me a couple of bottles of aftershave.

I started DE shaving to save money, and probably still have to an extent, but not as much as I could have by just buying the necessities for DE shaving. However, you cannot put a price on comfort and happiness, which I did not get from carts, and do get from wetshaving

I'm definitely not saving what I should be, but I'm not bothered by that because I know that I eventually will. It's only been a few months for me, so I'm still tinkering and searching for my shave Nirvana. Once I figure out all the razors I've picked up and tried every freakin prospect that I feel might work for me, I'm sure that I'll be cutting my rotation (razor and soap) down to something more reasonable. That's what I love about vintage razors: you could probably try every type of razor from 1900 - 1988, yet be confident that you can reclaim almost all of your investment.

If you're searching/experimenting as opposed to collecting, then there's really not much guilt or risk involved. I'll strip down to a set rotation sometime next year I suspect, and then this stable lineup will probably lead to saving money.

I lucked out in realizing the cheapest of the razors work for me, dirt cheap creams and soaps are perfectly fine, and though blades are the only thing I would HAVE to order online, they are still only 15$ at most for almost a year of shaves. If I want through the weekday 'just a shave', nothing wrong with Nivea or similar, or for the enjoyable take you're time weekend shaves, the mall has Proraso, Bigelow, Body Shop etc., if I prefer something 'fancy'. 'For me', cheap AND hobby can easily co-inside.

While it is possible to save money with DE razors, I don't think this is a fair comparison.

If you really want to go the cartridge route, then there are cheaper (and better) alternatives to the fusion. The Trac II is regarded as one of the best cart razors, and you can get compatible cartridges made by Personna for almost the same cost as the DE blade.

On the other hand, it is very easy to spend tons of money with DE razor route. As a newbie, I never how hard it is to control the buying spree once you get bit by the wet shaving bug. Every time I hear about a new soap, I want to try it. I want to own every type of vintage DE razor available. I try very hard to resist these temptations. :001_smile

I've never really tried to save money. Before I started wet shaving I just didn't shave! I still wear a beard, but I shave my head. So for me it's completely a hobby, and as far as hobbies go, it's ridiculously cheap. And the way things are going, I think I will eventually settle on one razor, one brush, one soap, one aftershave, and one brand of blades, and that should cost less than a hundred bucks a year, at today's prices. In fact, if I can stretch two hundred blades out to a year (piece of cake) and one soap (my triple milled D. R. Harris looks like it will easily last a year of daily use, but it would be easier to tell if I used it every day), I should be able to do it for less than seventy-five!. And maybe that will be my one soap when I finally settle on just one. But that will be decades from now, when I've exhausted my current cabinet in which I've invested hundreds of dollars.

Last edited:
Top Bottom