What's new

Wife's 50th Birthday

With that kind of budget take her for a weekender (four day weekend) away. Las Vegas and take in a show. Lots of big artists to choose from. I have no idea where you are from but American discount malls are a Canadian dream come true. Maybe New York, That’s on my wife’s bucket list. Just give it a think as to where your wife has wanted to go.
As the man one said “time well wasted”
Johnny

Last year we did that for her mother.

We also do that on our anniversary most every year since we got married there. She then gives me a hard time because I was so cheap with the wedding.

Take her to a couple of U.P. B&B's - there's the one near Pictured Rocks that is a lighthouse, a couple nice ones in Houghton, and a beautiful lodge on the lake in Christmas. Just wait until it's warm to take her there :)

Just paid for her, my son, her mother and brother to stay in one in Marquette for a week in August.

My problem is getting the time off. I have a full time job and a business on the side.

Lately I have been on call but not called in at all. It gives the illusion of time off but I can't go anywhere.

It makes her think I have all the time in the world.

My wife actually suggested skydiving or the iFly experience.

She also mentioned that since you don't do formal dinners maybe doing one for her 50th could be an idea. Not sure if you have a dinner theatre there, but those can be fun. Also threw out there that a nice watch, earrings, etc.

She's not the adventure type.

Saw a really nice watch. Even thought about what I could say to go with it.

Signify the time we have spent together in the past and the time we will spend together in the future type speech.
Something really nice. Just like the diamond tennis bracelet I gave her one year. The one she puts on about once year.

I am learning that material things just fill a void that we have because we need a reason to justify working as hard as we do.

Like most people we have time and no money or money and no time.

I look around our house and see so many things that only take up space. Things that cost so much time and money.

Please keep the suggestions coming because right now I'm thinking that the watch is my best bet.

I'm probably going to end up buying the house anyway but since it Wil have to be the right house and right deal it won't be in the next week so it won't count. It will be like the car. Something expensive that we just needed because we did.

You can even have the case back engraved with your sentiments, a long lasting memory she can pass on as well.
+1

Another idea, although probably more fitting for an anniversary, is that you could always have a wedding photo/photos retouched. I only throw this out there since it wouldn't be expected for a birthday. Or, maybe a photo session with the family if possible.

Not sure you have the time it would take to pull this off, or what the potential cost would be, but you could trick her into thinking something happened to you and you needed her you to pick you up. When she gets there, she finds out that it isn't an emergency and you both board a flight to her favorite city, to see her favorite band, play or restaurant etc. Of course you would have any clothes or supplies she would need planned out and already with you.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Nothing for the kitchen or house.

One or two nights at a very fancy hotel might be very nice - providing you spend a lot for meals and give her your undivided attention the entire time.

If you know her style - or can find something simple - a very nice necklace can work. It would have to be something her friends would ooh and ahh about.

Maybe one night in the fancy hotel and the necklace.

How about a nice white gold ring, set in diamonds with a Citrine in the center. And you can get a recent picture of her, or just take one with your phone. Show the picture to a make up lady at one of the mall kiosks. And ask them to suggest some nice makeup for her. And you can top it all off with some hi end skin care products

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Has one. I use it more than she does. LOL

Now you guys know why I'm having such a hard time.

What she really wants is a house in the U.P. Where she has family.

Problem is in the next 10 years most of those people will be dead and I'll still have a house where the market is getting worse not better and taxes keep going up because fewer people have jobs every day.

You can buy a house up there for less than a car.

But for 3 weeks a year it's a full time problem.

1. Move in with family.

2. Time Share.

3. RV.

1. Move in with family.

2. Time Share.

3. RV.

The only thing that's harder than selling a house where she wants to buy is selling a time share.

One of the houses we were looking at. The people decided to donate it to charity. They bought it for about 35k. Put 20 k into it and at 36 they can't get a buyer.

There biggest problem is its three doors down from the fire station.

Perhaps a gift of pampering? Maybe a trip to someplace nice (sightseeing, shopping, food), prepaid spa visit(s), Broadway musical show, wine of the month club, chocolates every month, etc.

Don't make being able to sell a house your top priority; it's a place to live, not an investment. If you lose money in the long run, so be it.

Top Bottom