What's new

The outdoor smoking "season" is drawing to a close

The indoor smokers cant relate; but those of us who are banished to the Great Outdoors will now know the taste of cold comfort, as the early darkness and dipping temps seriously impact tobacco time.

I have records of every pipe and cigar consumed and the "days of enjoyment" count does not lie:

• August: 20 days
  • September: 12 days
  • October: 6 days
  • November: 2 days (so far)
​​
The kids returning to school and sports definitely factors into the decline, but the weather is the main concern now as terms like “polar vortex” get bandied about once again.

Gone are the days of enjoying a cigar at the kid’s games; all tobacco product use is banned at the fields and the social pariah factor is off-the-charts. The number of places where a pipe or cigar is welcome is fast approaching zero and there is so little family time during the school season I cannot / will not sacrifice it to go hang out by myself somewhere during the nicer parts of a Saturday or Sunday.

I have stocked a few small cigars (Papa Fritas, A Fuente Hemingway, etc.) so I can do short smokes and I can always partially load a pipe – but it does get cold out there in the open and if there is any precipitation - I am done for

I get to smoke inside on nights where my wife is feeling generous or when she's visiting her mother. Otherwise, the pipes are pretty coffee table decorations. Cigars, get another few months of rest.

I never minded being cold, and I have never minded being wet. But cold and wet is simply the worst. That's a line I hate to cross any time. But one factor or the other wont stop me from enjoying a winter smoke.

It's -13 right now. My urge to smoke outside is officially gone.

Yowza! I imagine we'll get there in the next month or so, but maybe we won't have a sub zero day until January. Not that it matters. I don't like to smoke in a coat, so pretty much anything below forty puts me out of business.

Northern Japan doesn't get as cold as some of you guys, but I would be willing to bet i have the coldest apartment on the forum.

There is no insulation in my 5 inch thick walls. Also it's a single standing building with no surrounding buildings. I can see my breath and if I leave cups full of water in the sink over night they freeze. So it's pretty much the same temperature inside as it is outside.

I can smoke inside as long as it's before LOTH washed her hair.

Perhaps she needs to ask if you want to smoke before washing her hair.:lol:

Its 13F here this morning sure is nice being able to smoke indoors.:w00t::thumbup:

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I am blessed in that it rarely gets too cold to smoke outside, or at least stay that way for very long. For me it's prime smoking season here in S.E. Louisiana.

Perhaps she needs to ask if you want to smoke before washing her hair.:lol:

Its 13F here this morning sure is nice being able to smoke indoors.:w00t::thumbup:

Should be a new criteria for tobacco reviews. Tim note, room note and LOTH scalp note

A propane heater on the screen porch gets it done this year....next year I an converting a 12x8 shed into a winter man's room

Northern Japan doesn't get as cold as some of you guys, but I would be willing to bet i have the coldest apartment on the forum.

There is no insulation in my 5 inch thick walls. Also it's a single standing building with no surrounding buildings. I can see my breath and if I leave cups full of water in the sink over night they freeze. So it's pretty much the same temperature inside as it is outside.

Yeesh! Sounds like the first house my wife and I rented. It was built in 1908, was about 600 sq ft, and had zero insulation. We had to keep lamps under the sinks and leave the faucets running to keep the pipes from freezing. Summer was even worse, we hung sheets over the doorways to isolate the rooms with window air conditioners, which were the bedroom and living room. The rest of the house would get to 125F on a 100F day, of which there are many here, we had a run of 90 consecutive days over 100 a few years back. You know the house is hot when the toilet seat burns your butt when you sit down.

No smoking under the kotatsu?

Dad has a shop and he slips out there early in the morning and builds a fire or he smokes in his work truck with the window just cracked a 1/4 inch or less and the heater on. A my Buddy propane heater can make your garage or shop building more tolerable.

It's 60° right now and I'm debating, pipe or cigar. Been sick for almost two weeks and had no desire to smoke. It's going to drop about 20° tomorrow, and stay cold. I had better decide soon.

I head to the garage and fire up my old friend, Mr. Heater.

$739416-20121115062301-mr-heater-single-tank-top-propane-heater.jpg

OK, OK... so it doesn't get anywhere near cold in Houston, but when you're accustomed to 90°+ temps for eight months out of the year 40° is downright frigid.

We're having a cold snap here in Clearwater, FL. The high today was only 77 and it's supposed to get down in the low sixties tonight. I actually tend to smoke outside more this time of year than in the Summer heat.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I feel for you banished guys; the cold front hit today, got to about 31 this morning and only to about 40 for the high...with about 20 mph wind. Supposed to be 27 tonight. Since I'm used to 105-110 in the summer this is cold to me.

If you don't have a garage, porch you can enclose for the winter, etc. something like this with a propane heater, or pot bellied stove, and an extension cord/electric line run to it for the TV, mini fridge, lights (or use kerosene lanterns) and stuff might work. If you have the space.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ultimate man cave.

And don't forget the liquer cabinet.

I'm getting ready to sit down in my La-z-boy recliner, in front of the Rinnai heater, and watch my flat screen TV in the living room while I smoke a bowl of Irish Oak.

Dang that wind sounds like it is blowing now. :001_tongu

Top Bottom