What's new

Martin de Candre - The best soap ever?

$47.00 worth of Arko or Williams would last 12 yrs.
Read the ingredient list of Williams and Arko and see if you want to put all those chemicals you can't even pronounce on your face for 12 years? Seriously though is the purity of MDC + the performance that at least for me is its value. Not price, value

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I am on my first jar of MdC. I have been using it almost every day since May (at least 6 days a week) and the two most significant things that will keep me buying more:

1. I have had one weeper in all that time (last stroke of the third pass on a 5 day old blade).

2. The jar is less than half finished.

The real question is how many years will my other (non MdC) pucks last using them once or twice a month?

Switching gears a little -- does anyone use the unscented version of MdC? If so, I would like to hear some thoughts on it.

I've only tried the Original scented MdC until now, and I must say, performance-wise is very good. I don't think that it's the best soap I've ever tried, but darn close. Now, it does not have the kind of scent that made me want the full jar, so I'm not gonna buy it. I have a sample of the Fougere one too, so I might get that one if I find the scent awfully pleasant.

MdC is probably the best. But Nuàvia is about as good. No cheaper, however. I keep both in rotation.

This is where I'm at also. MdC has been #1 for me ever since I first used it and nothing has taken its spot. I do love Nuavia however, and the scent of both the Blu and Verde are intoxicating. For the overall shave experience, MdC Fougere is still at the top for me.

This is where I'm at also. MdC has been #1 for me ever since I first used it and nothing has taken its spot. I do love Nuavia however, and the scent of both the Blu and Verde are intoxicating. For the overall shave experience, MdC Fougere is still at the top for me.

Interesting. I find the Nuavia scents unmatched, although I love the scent of my MdC Fougere. MdC is a bit easier to lather for me than Nuavia, but I find Nuavia a bit more moisturizing. I'm pleased to have the choice every morning and, given how long both of them last, I'll be pleased for a very, very long time...

I read through a quite a few of the posts and I just don't get the fascination with this soap. I have tried a few different soaps and probably not as many as some but at around a dozen including MWF and Tabac(been sold to pay for MdC) and this soaps just does not do very well for me. I have the Fougere scent and even though it lathers so easy I just don't care for the performance of it. Don't get me wrong it works pretty good but just not the $60+ price tag I paid to acquire it. At a third the price I have some Wickham Russian Leather that works about the same performance wise but just not knock it out of the park. Sad thing is I started with VDH and in my opinion it outperforms MdC by a long shot.

So I guess I am in the minority about this soap and I know I won't be buying anymore. Just wish I never would have had the idea that there may be better soap out there. That is the bad thing about forums like this, a person does too much reading and it gives them ideas.

When I first tried MdC a while back I didn't really care for it and I have a few soaps that cost less that performs better for me ie. Klar Seifen, I Coloniali et al..

I recently used MdC about a month ago and liked how easy it is to lather as well as the scent, I wasn't expecting it to perform great but it did surprise me as it performed better than the last time I used it.
I also really like the scent and went ahead and bought a full jar of the Fougere. I still have a full jar as I am still using the sample I got.

It is not my best performing soap but there is something about MdC that's just classy and "clean" and it takes very little to make a great lather and the performance is still above average considering the minimal ingredients it uses.

I also like how the soap looks and feel in the jar, very smooth and looks really clean and refined, just plain white especially the regular version.

I will always have this in my rotation and will be sure to also get a full jar of the regular scent as well.

Play with the amount of water in the lather and soap load. I ran it too dry at first and then found enlightenment.

Not sure if this was directed towards me but I will respond.

Even though I am only 7 shaves into the jar I have tried varying lathers since I acquired it, more water, less water, more product, etc. Yesterday's shave I decided to try loading twice the amount to see if more was better and that still was not the case. No matter what I try I just don't care for the performance of it. For me it just leaves something to be desired during and after the razor makes the pass, after the pass there is just no lubricity left and I have that feeling that my face feels dry after that.

BTW, over a one minute load in hard water is way overkill even for the 2-pass plus touch ups. I tried this just to see what more would do and it was totally not necessary. In my hard water 20 second load is usually enough for this soap. But you have to try something to see if the outcome is different.

I am going to try it for a few more shaves and will likely shelf it for a while and use up some of my other soaps.

Tried the Muhle Organic again after several days of MdC. It's a clear tradeoff with respect to irritation and performance.
Muhle Organic -- no irritation, but not as slick
MdC -- some irritation, but very slick
I'm going to see if I can shave a little slower to get better results with the Muhle Organic. Even though the irritation is mild, it's still very noticeable. I would like to get my hands on a sample of the unscented MdC.

Switching gears a little -- does anyone use the unscented version of MdC? If so, I would like to hear some thoughts on it.

I have had it and recently sold it on B/S/T. I currently own the original and the fougere. MdC is a top performer for me. I reach for it frequently. I enjoy the scents of the original and the fougere and found that when I wanted to use MdC I grabbed one of those 2. I was rarely using the unscented so I decided to sell it. Still a great soap and might work well for someone who wants the performance of MdC but can't use one of the two scented versions for allergy/irritation reasons.

Well mine has just come in the post so I will find out tonight if its as good as people are saying
$20160929_185809.jpg$20160929_185653.jpg
I don't know if this is the unscented or scented

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

I use it, but it's my first jar of MDC so I can't compare it to the scented jars.

I understand from the web site that it's softer than the scented soaps (perhaps?). It is soft. I don't prepare it in any way and it only takes 10 seconds to load my SOC boar to the point where I have enough soap for 4-5 passes (and I only do 3).

Top Bottom