What's new

Martin de Candre - The best soap ever?

Hello everyone,

I just want to share my opinion and experience after purchasing MDC and using it 5 times. First of all, I want to share a little background: I have used a lot of the best rated and highly regarded soaps including:
MWF
Mikes Natural Soaps
Tiki Tallow
Tiki Vegan
Maggard Tallow
HTGAM CAD 2.0
Petal Pusher Fancies
Barrister & Mann Tallow
Loccitance Cade
Art of Shaving Soap
Soap Commander
Cella
Razorock XXX Tallow
Haslinger Schafmilch
Stirling
Cold River Soap Works Select
Strop Shoppe with Tallow
Catie's Bubbles (French Style)
LA Shaving Soap
Dapper Dragon (Vegan)

After owning that many soaps, its pretty hard for me to find a specific soap that rises above the rest (since most of those soaps are really incredible). As additional info, prior to trying MDC, my top 5 would look like this:
1. Mike's Natural Soap
2. MWF
3. Catie's Bubbles
4. Tiki (Tallow or vegan, I get same performance)
5. Barrister & Mann

Now onto MDC. This soap was very easy to lather right from the first go with it. Even more so, the lather seems "different" than any other soap for some reason. What I mean is, the lather is thicker, but without getting dry (which I think accounts for the acclaimed cushion and slickness of this soap). I can definitely feel such a difference when im using this soap, especially in razor glide. It just feels effortless and without any irritation. The cushion? Oh boy, this is the thickest lather I have been able to generate from any soap, ever! Today was my 5th shave, and I felt I was cheating, it wasn't a challenge at all to shave with this soap, it is THAT good, my friends. I feel is really hard to get nicks with this soap, as the superior slide prevents the vast majority of them from occurring. And last but no least, the post shave feel after 1 hour, is just plain incredible. You would swear this had tallow, lanolin, kokum butter and shea butter on it, but it doesn't. I don't know how is this company able to achieve this kind of post shave feel with such a simple ingredients list (really crushes my mind!).

Of course everything has its drawbacks, which in this case is the price. I live in Puerto Rico and paid 65 dollars for the Unscented version (200gm). Indeed, I could've bought 4 artisan soaps for the price of MDC, but I needed to try this highly acclaimed soap (and I'm so glad I did). As you can guess, it has risen to my #1 spot, by a wide margin. Only other soap that has almost all the qualities of MDC, I would have to say, is Mike's Natural Soaps. In this case, Mikes can be considered a great bargain, considering you get like 90-95% of the performance of MDC for 25% of the price. Of couse my top 5, now looks like this:

1. Martin de Candre
2. Mike's Natural Soap
3. MWF
4. Catie's Bubbles
5. Tiki

I will be buying other soaps (as I think I might have soap acquistion disorder, or so says my wife). I need to try Shannon Soaps, Wickham Soaps, and some others, But it will be really hard to move MDC from the #1 spot.

Please share if you have been through similar experiences with MDC and what soaps are similar to MDC (if any).

Regards,
Heriberto

So I have a jar of MDC I've been sitting on for a while and hadn't tried. This helped inspire me to do so. I should receive a new brush from Rudy Vey tomorrow, a D01 3-band, and I think I will celebrate by trying the MdC. Thanks for the review.

First off you've picked some really great soaps so well done there. Martin de Candre is definitely excellent stuff.

I've tried and own the majority of what's on your list and I'd choose totally different ones in my top 5.

Here are the top 5 from your list for me in no particular order as my favorite would depend on the day:

Martin de Candre
Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow
Petal Pusher Fancies
RazoRock XXX tallow
Cella

Catie's Bubbles and Tiki aren't too far behind.
I haven't tried Cold River but I'm reading a lot of great reviews and would like to try it very soon.

Mike's is a good soap but if I were to put the whole list in order it would be on the bottom half of the list for me.

So I have a jar of MDC I've been sitting on for a while and hadn't tried. This helped inspire me to do so. I should receive a new brush from Rudy Vey tomorrow, a D01 3-band, and I think I will celebrate by trying the MdC. Thanks for the review.

Nice!!! Let us know your experience once you try it!

First off you've picked some really great soaps so well done there. Martin de Candre is definitely excellent stuff.

I've tried and own the majority of what's on your list and I'd choose totally different ones in my top 5.

Here are the top 5 from your list for me in no particular order as my favorite would depend on the day:

Martin de Candre
Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow
Petal Pusher Fancies
RazoRock XXX tallow
Cella

Catie's Bubbles and Tiki aren't too far behind.
I haven't tried Cold River but I'm reading a lot of great reviews and would like to try it very soon.

Mike's is a good soap but if I were to put the whole list in order it would be on the bottom half of the list for me.

Excellent list! Strop Shoppe and Raxorock XXX would be my 6 and 7, respectively. I like your choices.

But, but... you've never tried Tabac :001_rolle

Just joshing you. I will have to try this eventually. It sounds like super stuff!

Herb, great soap travels!
along your journey, you should also visit....
DR Harris
Tabac
Any Creed
Czech & Speake
any Valobra

Enjoy!

Since it is one of the priciest soaps available, it can only be considered for the best category when the "money is no object" disclaimer is added. Just like I have no interest in blowing my nose into a hand woven by Chilean Monks, Vicuna wool disposable facial tissue, I also have no interest in a $75 soap that is only going to eventually be flushed down the drain.

Does anyone else find that the fougere scent is pretty similar to the original? The MDC fougere bath soap scent is incredible btw.

I think it's really nice, but not as good as Mike's (at least on the criteria I most care about). I'm grateful to have been PIF'd a few samples, and couldn't believe how many shaves I got out of what appeared to be tiny amounts of soap. That was nice. But Mike's is slicker, more protective, more skin conditioning, at least with my water, whiskers and skin.

Great write up as I would love to try mdc! It will happen. I will say I purchased 3 soaps from shannons soaps and they r wonderful. Great scent and tons of super slick lather. And $9 a tin I believe. It's good stuff!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
MdC is my personal favorite right now also. The only thing keeping it from perfection is that there are some soaps with a better post shave but it is perfect in every other way.

I have a MDC I've yet to use but my dad has 3017 a couple jars.

He says that one jar lasts a year for $65.

If I used Razorock for a year I would go through about 5 tubs ($12 ea) = $60.

Is the annualized cost really much different that people keep saying the cost is a deterrent?

I have a MDC I've yet to use but my dad has 3017 a couple jars. He says that one jar lasts a year for $65.

Is the annualized cost really much different that people keep saying the cost is a deterrent?

If he can get a year out of a jar of MDC, he should be able to get at least that out of 2 pucks of MWF which you can get for $20 delivered.

Only the individual consumer can determine if MDC is worth the cost. For me, $75 shaving soap is a deterrent but I have no qualms buying high priced, top of the line products in other facets of my life.

Top Bottom