What's new

Martin de Candre - The best soap ever?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
"That video is very impressive! But... will it do that in hard water?"

It should, that's one thing coconut oil soaps are known for.

Cheers, Steve

Just tried the Fougere today.
Everything went excellent - scent, loading and lather creation, performance! A great product!
The only thing I didn't like was the fact my skin felt on the dry side after the shave.

Just tried the Fougere today.
Everything went excellent - scent, loading and lather creation, performance! A great product!
The only thing I didn't like was the fact my skin felt on the dry side after the shave.

I also used my fougere today. Huge fan of MdC!

At first I thought the soap was a smidge drying, but now it feels more accurate (for me anyway) to describe the skin feel as "cleansed" and "refreshed". It isn't "dry" per se, but rather feels as if it was deep-cleaned by a nice soap. Awesome stuff.

FWIW, I like the scent of this soap, very unique. It is actually the only reason why I keep it and use it every now and then.
However, I didn't find anything special about it performance-wise and soaps like Mike's, Haslinger or Valobra are far better, in my opinion.

I also used my fougere today. Huge fan of MdC!

At first I thought the soap was a smidge drying, but now it feels more accurate (for me anyway) to describe the skin feel as "cleansed" and "refreshed". It isn't "dry" per se, but rather feels as if it was deep-cleaned by a nice soap. Awesome stuff.

Better than ABC soap?

Better than ABC soap?

I honestly couldn't compare. Both are essentials in my rotation and will be replaced when finished. MdC provides a unique cleansing feeling that is really nice the day after using a heavy tallow soap, and ABC is a simple yet remarkably effective formula that has an incredible slickness which ensures I can cut close very comfortably each shave.

Both soaps are among the very best on the market.

I'm really interested in the scent feedback. Having not tried MdC as yet, is the original Lavender comparable to a D.R Harris or AoS Lavender scent? And based on the last comment it doesn't appear to be a distinct difference in the Fougere and original scent? Love to your further thoughts and feedback?

Agree - on both points.

I don't get lavender from the original. It's complicated and I'm terrible describing scents. I've had Yardley, Castle Forbes, and Mike's Hungarian lavender. Original MdC isn't like any of those to me.

I'm really interested in the scent feedback. Having not tried MdC as yet, is the original Lavender comparable to a D.R Harris or AoS Lavender scent? And based on the last comment it doesn't appear to be a distinct difference in the Fougere and original scent? Love to your further thoughts and feedback?

The original MdC scent is a mixture of wild Lavender and Rosemary. I get the strong Lavender scent out of it. It is a very natural scent (like real lavenders) not a synthetic additive. I like it equally as much as the Fougere. Unless you are allergic to lavender, you cannot go wrong with it.

A stated by another B&B member in another soap thread:

"Definitely not the greatest soap on Earth. And YMMV has noting to do with it."

However it is a very good soap on par with Tabac.

Excuse me but I find your comment somewhat of an insult Who are you to tell people there opinion does not matter? The nice thing about this forum is that we can disagree with one another but usually with respect for the other guy

Excuse me but I find your comment somewhat of an insult Who are you to tell people there opinion does not matter? The nice thing about this forum is that we can disagree with one another but usually with respect for the other guy

All opinions are welcome. Everyone has them and are free to express them. The irony of the quote from the other thread is that some think that Tabac is the greatest soap on Earth. Nevertheless, please carry on.

All opinions are welcome. Everyone has them and are free to express them. The irony of the quote from the other thread is that some think that Tabac is the greatest soap on Earth. Nevertheless, please carry on.

Yes, you are right that quote was from a Tabac thread. While Tabac seems to be a polarizing soap (products), it also seems to be a favourite "whipping post".

Why should that quote be inappropriate here, but not on the Tabac thread?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by tonich
Definitely not the greatest soap on Earth.
And YMMV has noting to do with it.

For the record I have no issues with Martin de Candre soaps.

Yes, you are right that quote was from a Tabac thread. While Tabac seems to be a polarizing soap (products), it also seems to be a favourite "whipping post".

Why should that quote be inappropriate here, but not on the Tabac thread?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by tonich
Definitely not the greatest soap on Earth.
And YMMV has noting to do with it.

For the record I have no issues with Martin de Candre soaps.

There is nothing wrong with the quote in either thread. They are just opinions, and as I said all are welcomed.

Getting back on topic: MdC original definitely has a big lavender note, along with herbs (I think rosemary, as someone mentioned) plus benzoin, which gives it depth and a sort of bitter, slightly medicinal quality. So think of a sort of medicinal lavender. To be it smells very French. I've come to like it quite a bit.

Top Bottom