What's new

Martin de Candre - The best soap ever?

It is great soap, and a bit better than Speick for me. Speick is the 2nd best soap made.

The price per shave is much lower than you'd think. It is a very concentrated soap. The scents are also very good.

Thanks all for your input. I think I need to also purchase LPL now (after hearing the comparison with MdC). I don;t think it will ever end, as I always find something I need to buy, just when I thought I had enough!!! grrrr!!! Too much stuff to buy!

Try Tabac. I'd love to know how you feel it compares to MDC. Just got my first Tabac soap and it's an amazing performer. I'd find it hard to believe anything could perform better.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
It is great soap, and a bit better than Speick for me. Speick is the 2nd best soap made.

The price per shave is much lower than you'd think. It is a very concentrated soap. The scents are also very good.

I have tried quite a few soaps, but I just might agree with this exact sentiment. I love Speick also. It's outperformed MANY other soaps for me. With that said, some others come VERY close to Speick which would make it difficult to pick a second. Overall MdC is my current favorite, though, for sure.

EDIT: I just realized that this is my 1,000th post!!! WOOOOO!!!

Last edited:
Go ahead, try and top this TOP 5; :lol:
- Arko
- Tabac
- Cella Brick
- Volabra
- Anything made by HTGAM because it is surrounded in mystery and who doesnt like a "fly in the soup" ingredient once in a while?

In my view, in 2014, anything that costs less than $100 and lasts a year or more can hardly be considered expensive. I've yet to try MdC, but it will likely be the next soap I buy. Living 10 minutes from Old Town Shaving is a blessing and a curse.

I have been using Martin de Candre Fougère soap every day (except for Old Spice Mondays) for over a year and I think it is simply the best! It's expensive for the initial purchase, but judging by the amount I’m using I will get about 3 + years from the container, so the cost per shave is not bad at all. As someone said, the soap has a very unique feel and it’s amazing how nice my skin feels afterwards. I’ve tried all sorts of other soaps from very cheap to expensive but I always returned to MDC.

I also find MdC to be an excellent soap. But to say it is the best soap ever, is so very personal. For some people it works extremely well and for others it causes skin reactions. YMMV as usual.

MdC is clearly the most influential soap of recent time. Look at all the recent clones. Most other soaps only get copied for the scents,

It is sad. I have a drawer full of soaps and creams, yet MdC is so good for me, I fear I won't ever use another soap. For me it is by far the best, and absolutely worth the price.

MdC... Best Soap Ever???

If you asked me two years ago, I'd have said yes. But now? No! There are too many great artisan soaps out there that perform just as well (if not better) at a fraction of the cost. Many artisans have now cloned the formula, and you can now get almost the exact same product, albeit a different scent, for mush less money. I have a tub of MdC, and still love it, but will never purchase it again.

And IYO what soaps would these be?

I have only tried 3 Soaps since my first Williams Puck. Cold River was my first , and it was really different than the Williams puck I bought at Rite Aid. I really liked it, but then I ordered A Mikes. The lather, smell, and slick was to me far superior than the Cold River. I thought for sure Id found my Soap. I ordered a B&M just because of the reviews on this board, and now I know Ive found my soap. Man, B&M was awesome. It lathered thicker and easier than the Mikes, and i like the aroma more. I went back this morning and purchased 3 more from them. Im hooked. Im done. I just wish they came in a bigger size.

I've narrowed down to using only two soaps now - MWF and MDC. All the others I've simply stored away (mmm… I must consider a PIF sometime). Anyway, my choice has whittled down to these two as I simply cannot drop one for the other.

When comparing the two here's my opinion:
  • For cushioning MDC wins;
  • For slickness MWF wins;
  • For easy lathering MDC wins (in fact MDC won this hands down);
  • Scent MWF wins;
  • Post shave skin condition MWF;

But for practicality and overall winner, MDC is the winner simply because I'm a grouch in the morning and just want to get the shaving over and done with. MDC is that simple to use, I don't need to concentrate. Whatever brush I use - perfect lather it's a win win win. Whereas with MWF, if I change my brush, I have to adjust and remember how each brush performs with this soap. I now only tend to use MWF on a Sunday when I can take things slow and think. Week days, its simply shave and on to work.

I have only one soap out on the bathroom shelf at any time. I've my MDC in a (lidless) stoneware bowl - now thats simplicity. Oh yes, and the wife prefers the stoneware bowl than the MWF ceramic dish. It looks cooler and matches the bathroom decor (sic)…so says the wife.

PS: The wife loves lavender, so there you go...If she's happy, its a win win win.

Last edited:
One shave with it -- it only arrived yesterday. I'm impressed.

Is MdC the best there is? I have no clue. Is it surely one of the best in my arsenal? Absolutely.

View attachment 519161

Great aroma. Great performance. Lathers effortlessly and quickly. Nice skin feel hours later.

The jar weighs a ton, so I am not surprised that folks say you can get a year's worth of shaves from it; while it was expensive, I see the value in that.

If I could only have one soap, I'd be more than happy if this were the one.

Have I placed MdC on a pedestal? Yes, I have. Why? Simply because I have a very photogenic pedestal (with a sundial) sitting in my yard. No hidden meaning here.

Last edited:
I have had a jar of MdC for a month now. Whether or not it is THE BEST is debatable -- I haven't tried them all and don't intend to -- but it is a superior product and I am enjoying the best shaves of my life.

If it weren't for the shipping cost, MdC shaving soap would be an outright bargain. You might want to consider buying some of their other soaps, to defray the minimum shipping cost. My wife appreciated that.

MdC are a good company with which to to business. Their service is on a level with the quality of their product -- a class act all the way.

Top Bottom