What's new

My adventure in shaving (long)

Up until two weeks ago I had been shaving with an electric due to time. The electric allowed me to sleep in an extra twenty mins or so. I wake up at 0500 so every min counts.

So finally after about ten years of having the idea of straight razor shaving popping in out of my head I finally bit the bullet. I went online and started doing research. I found this great forum, shaveblog.com, classicshaving.com and a few others. I had my information and support groups.

To Mama Bear's I went and purchased three different soaps: Almond, Awakenings Peppermint, tea tree and menthol, and Celestial Waters. I picked Mama Bear due to her high praise, cost and the fact that its made by a home business and not some large corp.

Next I wanted nice containers for the bath room. I found some white porcelain sugar and thick cereal bowls from Target. I spent about 15 bucks for 3 sugar (for soap) and cereal bowls (lather). Looking back thought the soap bowls do tend to get a little slippery when wet.

I read about some guys using electric hot water pots and I thought to myself "Damn that ingenious!". I just happened to have one of those lying around so it went into the bathroom as well.

I ran down to Wal-Mart and pick up a $5 brush and a styptic pencil. Please cut me slack on the brush. I wasn't sure if this type of shaving was going to work for me at the time.

Now I just needed a razor. Not wanting to drop 100 bones on a new and sharpened Dovo. Well I wanted to but I'm not sure the Misses would like it. I went to Ebay and spent 30 bucks or so and picked up two pretty cool antique straights. Now all I need to do is get them sharpened to shave ready. (still waiting on this)

After all this I started thinking to myself. "Why don't you just combine the ease of use and maintenance of a deposable with the classic look and feel of a straight? So I picked up a Dovo shavette with makur blades.

Fast forward two weeks and I'm happy to say I love my new shaving routine. I make the time by waking up at 0440 now just so I have time to shave. I actually find myself looking forward to shaving. It’s a challenge to see how close, smooth and fast I can get it. That feeling of a naked blade against my face in the morning no cup of coffee can match.

My mid day shaves on Saturday and Sunday (before I never shaved on the weekend) has become a thing of fascination for my 4 year old daughter and I like to think that I'm setting an example of what men should be like for her. I hope that one of her lasting memories is of me shaving in style that’s lasted hundreds of years that most modern men are afraid to try.

Well looks like I rambled on a bit there. If there is anyone else out there kicking around the idea of wet or straight razor shaving. Just give it a shot. You'll be glad you did.

TJ

Great story and welcome to B & B. Would i be correct to assume you are in the military any one to get up at 0440 and/or to even say it like that would almost have to be.

You are correct Sir. I'm currently a Audio Visual tech for the USAF. It's a cross between the AV geeks in highschool and a roadie.

Welcome to B&B!

You aren't that far away from me-about an hour or so depending on traffic! if you get a chance, check out the sesto-senso website;it's located in Frederick and carries some things you should be aware of.:wink:

marty

Great post! Now that you have experienced the dovo shavette, you might want to try out a Feather Artist Club razor. They are still disposable blades but the straight razor look alike has very nice heft and balance. One of our members sells them at a very good price.

Great post! Now that you have experienced the dovo shavette, you might want to try out a Feather Artist Club razor. They are still disposable blades but the straight razor look alike has very nice heft and balance. One of our members sells them at a very good price.

I've thought about that but every thing I've read make the Feather seem like they will cut you if you look at them the wrong way. I'm going to send my two straights out to get sharpened and get myself a strop next.

Believe it or not I'm trying to keep my shaving related purchases in check. Thats why I've limited myself to 3 razors and 3 soaps.

I'm glad your ebay purchases went well

Lets just say that I did not have the same luck.... (I bought a piece of sh*t)

Welcome to B&B where the badgers roam free

Top Bottom