What's new

So what do you guys think?

I'm kind of miffed. I sent what I consider to be a nice PIF to another B&B'er (postage and all), and then I see the stuff on BST.

Dont ya think if you got a PIF and didn't like the stuff that the right thing to do would be to PIF to someone else as opposed to selling it?

Or am I off base???

well yes, i agree i would be upset if that had happened to me. surely when you give a generous pif you want the end user of it to be gracious for it and get a lot of use out of it. some will also say though, once its in the others hands, it is his to do with whatever he pleases.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking the best thing is to pass it on. Of course, I don't really know what's happening on his end, so maybe there is a compelling reason to sell the stuff outright. I'll get over it but it sure does make me think twice about sending nice things in good confidence.

Yes, it is his (or hers) to with as they please, but it is in poor taste for them to sell the things that were PIF'd to them. I would think that if they didn't like the stuff, they should have been gracious enough to PIF it to someone else. That what this community is about.

I agree it is bad form to sell something that has been PIF'd to you, if it turns out the item isn't something that suits you, pass it along to someone else. However, I included a PIF'd item that I wasn't going to use as a "freebie" type item with a similar item I was selling in the BST, and got called out for it which I felt was unfair. In my mind I did PIF it by including it at no additional cost, and wasn't selling it,but the other party didn't see it that way, so sometimes it's a matter of perspective.

I guess this is always a risk, but there is never really any justification for it. If it means anything in the balance of the universe, I been very happy with the results of items that I have given out (through both formal and less structured PIF type dealings), and I get the impression that there is plenty of generosity and gratitude in this community in general.

The first warning was probably when he didn't bother responding in your original thread to say thanks or check in again to let others know he got the package etc.

Bad form really. Other members may end up contributing to B&B in other ways and then happen to sell an item they previously received in a PIF. But, I don't really get the impression that's what happened here. At least they went to the BST and not EBay.

Did he mention in the sale that he had received the items through PIF?

I'm tempted to ask who it was so we can all steer clear of giving that member stuff in the future.

Actually, you might want to message a moderator about this.

+1 for this. What was the time lag between your PIF and the recipient's sale? If it was immediate, that's fishy. If there were a lag, he may have developed a problem, but even so, he should have passed it on and not sold.

Yes, it is his (or hers) to with as they please, but it is in poor taste for them to sell the things that were PIF'd to them. I would think that if they didn't like the stuff, they should have been gracious enough to PIF it to someone else. That what this community is about.

So sorry to hear this! It completely hurts the community. The rest of us are still very grateful for your contribution, though. Wish we could hire the mob to chase this guy down ;)

Sorry to hear this. Please PM a Mod and express your concerns. I trust their guidance in this matter will be prudent. Calling the member out directly on a public forum would also be poor form. One potentially ungentlemanly act does not deserve another. I like to think we here at B&B can rise above this.

I'm tempted to ask who it was so we can all steer clear of giving that member stuff in the future.

Actually, you might want to message a moderator about this.

+1
I would not name the guy w/o contacting a mod first. In the past, the mods have decided that exposing bad behavior was the best way to handle the situation. But who knows what they would think about this case ...

On the subject of PIFs, I have noticed that there are a bunch of guys who sign up for every PIF, but never really participate much in the forums. I quickly grew tired of dealing with such people, so I now limit my PIFs to contributors and active duty military. No deadbeats or leaches in those groups.

Not cool. I agree they should PIF the items if they don't like them. I'll try not to judge because I don't know who it is or what their financial situation is (if they're selling it to buy baby formula then I'd be ok with it, I guess), but on the surface it appears to be very bad form.

Twice now myself I've done a blade trade, and never received my blades. And despite continuing action online, do not get responses to any private messages I send the other party. I've decided for myself, that in the future, what I will do, is if I notice a long term or 'trusted' member mention something like.., "I'd love to try ______", I'll send a PM if I have the item in question. Not to be rude, but random and 'newbie' PIF's I think I will not not bother with.

Top Bottom