What's new

A little prep trick id like to share.

I have a foaming face wash I was using as a prep in the shower then rinsing, but recently stopped and left it on whilst I dried and slipped into my skivvies. Its glycerine based and i figured it couldn't hurt. I thought it would rinse off when I brushed off my face with hot water. Instead, it started to lather. I then loaded up my brush with my normal shave soap and lathered directly on top of the face wash. The lather exploded out of my brush. Technique changed....

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I use something similar, in that I frequently apply simply inexpensive hand lotion to my face a few minutes before shaving while I a getting everything ready. Seems to work well. My wife tells me she has been using this method for years, for shaving her legs. Guess I should have been paying more attention.

Mike, great idea.

It reminds me of an old thread where someone (apologies for not being able to credit idea), cited an old "how to shave Manual" from the 20's - 30's suggesting to build a lather on your face for the purpose of softening the beard, leaving it on for a few minutes as you brush your teeth and then rinsing it off as a good pre-shave practice.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you NavyShave, but thanks for trying it.
Redrako- that's where I got the idea from, this way is just a cheats version.
;-)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was doing some research on this very subject. I have been using a lot of benzoyl peroxide products to keep some bacterial folliculitis under control, and so I've been using moisturizers more lately than I probably ever have before. Today was a non-shave day, and I noticed that my stubble felt much softer after applying the moisturizer.

So I have the same question. Has anyone found that moisturizing before the shave is effective prep?

I noticed you said you moisturize BEFORE shaving; is that common? I always moisturize afterwards.

Thanks for the tip. I use something similar, in that I frequently apply simply inexpensive hand lotion to my face a few minutes before shaving while I a getting everything ready. Seems to work well. My wife tells me she has been using this method for years, for shaving her legs. Guess I should have been paying more attention.

I seldom shower before shaving, but I find that - other than wetting your face - the only prep you need is to use a shave stick.
Applying a layer of soap directly onto the bristle and vigorously massaging those bristles with your brush to whip up the lather works like a dream. A two-for-one deal: prep and lather all at once!

FWIW, I shower before shaving. In the shower, I apply hair conditioner to my beard. I leave my face wet when I get out of the shower. I then re-wet my face and apply Proraso pre-/post-shave before starting to load my brush and build my lather. I have tried shaving with and without each of these steps, and all of them seem to help; omitting any of them produces a shave that is not as smooth, close and comfortable as one that incorporates all of them. YMMV.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Neat idea. I might try it with the tube of Nivea that I never use anymore. I've come to prefer soaps. I like to scoop up the frothy proto-lather from loading the brush and rub it into my stubble before face lathering with the brush. I don't think it does anything for preshave prep, but it smells really good!

I always apply Noxzema Cleansing Cream before each razor pass. I apply my lather directly over-top. Shaving irritation becomes a non issue.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/393631-Noxema-I-Think-I-Love-You?highlight=noxzema+I+think+I+love+You

I seldom shower before shaving, but I find that - other than wetting your face - the only prep you need is to use a shave stick.
Applying a layer of soap directly onto the bristle and vigorously massaging those bristles with your brush to whip up the lather works like a dream. A two-for-one deal: prep and lather all at once!
I believe this to be true, although I always shower first. Even VDH is better in stick form!

I use the OP's prep method and have for a while now. Softening the whiskers is essential for me to get a comfortable shave and this makes a big difference for me.

My usual prep is wet face with warm water, apply shaving cream with finger tips, then face-lather with soap over the cream (I don't wash the cream off). Takes all of 2 minutes, and you get the advantages of a superlather as well.

Top Bottom