What's new

Looking for something cheap and good, old man classic.

Kanon has a great mid 60's vibe to it, and the currently made stuff (by Scannon) is very close to the original. Available on a "major auction site" and elsewhere for very little coin. A different offering from many of the classics and one you should try. The newer Norwegian Wood and Agarwood variants aren't to my liking. I like the plain old Kanon.

Kanon has a great mid 60's vibe to it, and the currently made stuff (by Scannon) is very close to the original. Available on a "major auction site" and elsewhere for very little coin. A different offering from many of the classics and one you should try. The newer Norwegian Wood and Agarwood variants aren't to my liking. I like the plain old Kanon.
Other way around for me: I like Norwegian Wood but hated the plain Kanon.

Older man smell ........
Inexpensive..............
Current formulation not messed up......
Barbershop.......
Classic.............
Masculine...........

$tabac.jpg

All positives qualities in any fragrance, and for me choice has to be Tabac EDC (NOT EDT), incredibly good classic barbershop scent that can be had for pennies/cents (100ml < $10) and is an all-round feel good scent.

I know many have mentioned Clubman, I tried it and my wife didn't like it. I bought Clubman Vanelia and she LOVES it! The Vanelia doesn't smell anything like Vanelia, it retains that classic clubman odor but much smoother with less spice and maybe more warmth or lavender maybe if that makes any sense?? Anyway I ordered mine off the bay for 5.75 shipped to my door. I definitely think its worth a shot.

Guerlain Imperiale - very lightly applied - just spray a small cloud and walk into it, or sprinkle a bit on your pocket square or handkerchief.

Canoe by Dana sounds like something that might be up your alley. At my local Rite Aid, CVS, and other pharmacies they have gift sets that include a full bottle of Canoe EdT and matching aftershave splash for about $20. As for the scent, it is definitely old-time-barbershop; maybe a slightly more sophisticated version of Pinaud Clubman.

Canoe is definitely in the same genre as Old Spice, AV, Brut, etc. Worst case scenario: if you don't like it, you're only out a few bucks and can try something else.

The CVS around me has those gift sets you are talking about all for $9.99. I grabbed a couple of them.

It would be a tragedy not to give 4711 a try. It is the original Cologne and still is one of the most classic and unique scents available

This is my choice too. It doesn't say "old man" but "distinguished gentleman with class and style" fits it pretty well. Don't blast it at your lady and say "smell; fter she recovers from passing out I bet she says "no". Instead go away outside or garage and, put a spray or two on, walk around for 5-10 min. then let her sniff. Aramis needs an introduction, its an experience, eased into; it can shock people used to smelling Bounce dryer sheets. To me, Aramis smells like money or money smells like Aramis, either way its good. Go ahead and take some bills and smell them.......

Last edited:
Made in France but very old and inexpensive..

Caron Pour Homme about $33 for 4.2oz on the net

Pour Un Homme de Caron was launched in 1934.
Top note is lavender; middle note is vanille; base note is musk.

+1 Yatagan made by Caron but more of a fall scent than anytime..

wood notes mixed with subtle undertones of herbs such as galbanum, patchouli,
incense, Artemisia and mint make this a perfect fall and wintry scent.

+1 Halston Z14 a less expensivee Tom Ford Italian Cypress which I have on now..

Top notes are cypress, gardenia, green notes, basil, bergamot and lemon; middle
notes are coriander, patchouli, cinnamon, jasmine, vetiver, cedar and geranium;
base notes are leather, tonka bean, amber, musk, benzoin and oakmoss.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan Yatagan myself. Probably best to sample it first since some people don't like it...

but those people are just wrong :biggrin1:.

Yes, look at scents from Caron. I have Pour Homme, Yatagan and Third Man. They're all great. And, yeah, probably a good idea to sample Yatagan first as some people don't see how awesome it is right off.:001_smile

Wow, truly active and helpful thread.

Haven't had the time to try many but checked a few, cool scents.

Happy Holidays!

Top Bottom