What's new

Looking for something cheap and good, old man classic.

Well, just informed the wife gets sad memories smelling Old Spice cologne due to a messed up step father from her past that also used it so, time to sell it and move on to something else.

Looking forward to any ideas the forum members might have for older man cologne recommendations, a few preferences below:

1) Something made in the US would be preferred, but anything classic from the 60s-70s would be good as long as it hasn't been changed too much and messed up..

2) Inexpensive, not into fancy dancy stuff but its for the wife and I'd like it to have a nice man smell, $40 limit.

Thanks all for any help.

Perfect coincidence, Brut is being looked into. AV ice blue is a great day to day aftershave but the scent doesn't last long.

Barbasol Brisk. Under $2 at the Dollar General. Lasts for hours on me. Don't laugh before you try it.
Halston Z14
Jovan Musk for Men
British Sterling

Canoe by Dana sounds like something that might be up your alley. At my local Rite Aid, CVS, and other pharmacies they have gift sets that include a full bottle of Canoe EdT and matching aftershave splash for about $20. As for the scent, it is definitely old-time-barbershop; maybe a slightly more sophisticated version of Pinaud Clubman.

Canoe is definitely in the same genre as Old Spice, AV, Brut, etc. Worst case scenario: if you don't like it, you're only out a few bucks and can try something else.

$nd.113.jpg

Quite a few that come back to mind after great reminders for ones that had been forgotten, a list has been made for check.

Much appreciated, a great week wished to all.

Brut (Classic or "Special Reserve [same thing]) still smell fantastic. This is the original formulation that is still available through online vendors for under $15. Beware, the Brut in plastic bottles that you can buy at your local pharmacy is not the same.

Wear in moderation and you would be surprised at how nice this is. It's actually comical how many compliments I get on Brut, but again, a modest application is everything.

Brut was the signature scent of my grandfather. Luca Turin once described it as "crudely charming." I burst out laughing because if I had to describe my grandfather as concisely and frankly as I could, that is the exact expression I would have used. Not without his faults, he was a jokester, a ladies man and a bit of a brut.

EDIT*** sorry, I missed the part about Old Spice. For classic 1960s/70s masculine, Brut is the way to go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom